Kaetlyn Osmond - Please ditch the triple loop!

Thread starter #1

fsfann

Ratings
I believe I can only recall her landing one clean triple loop in the past couple of seasons.... Wondering why she hasn't considered dropping it from her long program and going with a second triple salchow instead?

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
I think that's pretty simple - she needs 7 triples in order to be competitive with the top skaters in the world. Because she doesn't have a 3A she needs to do all the other triples and repeat two of them. Leave out the loop and she maxes out at 6 triples.

Thread starter #3

fsfann

Ratings
I think that's pretty simple - she needs 7 triples in order to be competitive with the top skaters in the world. Because she doesn't have a 3A she needs to do all the other triples and repeat two of them. Leave out the loop and she maxes out at 6 triples.
There are 7 jumping passes. Two of them start with a 2A...so 5 triples left. Those five are: Flip-Toe, Flip, Lutz, Salchow, & loop.

She doesn't need the loop if she repeats the Salchow or the Lutz.... Salchow & Loop are essentially the same amount of points.

Wasn't it Phaneuf or Rochette who struggled with the Loop and worked around it? I can't remember for sure... Anyway, just curious why this hasn't been considered, since she has always struggled with it in competition...

Thread starter #4

fsfann

Ratings
Here's what she did tonight:

3F3T
2A3T
3Lz
3Lo
3F
3S2T1Lo
2A

So why not just change the 3Lo to 3S. (Sorry.. I think his clarifies it a bit more).

Domshabfan

A proud P/C fan
Ratings
Here's what she did tonight:

3F3T
2A3T
3Lz
3Lo
3F
3S2T1Lo
2A

So why not just change the 3Lo to 3S. (Sorry.. I think his clarifies it a bit more).
Because she will be repeating three triple jump twice (3T, 3F and 3S), you are only allowed to repeat two triples; in her case she does 3F and 3T. If she does what you are asking her do then the for the 3S 2T 1Lo, she will only get credit for 2T 1Lo and lose lots of points for a 3S.

She can't have 7 triples under the current rule without having a 3Lo or 3axel... Only lady capable of 3 Axel is Kihara and she does a 8 triple program.

Osmond also have other demons to worry about, she gets a caution (!) on her 3Lz on both her program (GPF), this will affect her GOE. She also has problems with her 3S at times; she under-rotated the jump and fell at the GPFs.

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
Wasn't it Phaneuf or Rochette who struggled with the Loop and worked around it? I can't remember for sure... Anyway, just curious why this hasn't been considered, since she has always struggled with it in competition...
Phaneuf stopped doing the jump - I want to say 3 flip - and so she was limited to six triples and if she had been adding the 3 flip she would have won a medal at the 2010 World Championships.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Ratings
Don’t ditch the loop!! She has a gorgeous loop, and honestly she hasn’t struggled with it anymore than she’s struggled with the 2nd flip in the LP. She needs better conditioning and stamina, that’s all

pinky166

#teamtrainwreck #partyingwithbychenko
Ratings
She needs it to be competitive at the end of the day. And she can do it, so by putting it out there in competition she’s more likely to eventually get it consistent. The only thing I’d maybe suggest is moving it earlier in the program. I know a 4/3 layout isn’t ideal but with her GOE and PCS I think she could get away with it if it led to cleaner skates.

Thread starter #9

fsfann

Ratings
Because she will be repeating three triple jump twice (3T, 3F and 3S), you are only allowed to repeat two triples; in her case she does 3F and 3T. If she does what you are asking her do then the for the 3S 2T 1Lo, she will only get credit for 2T 1Lo and lose lots of points for a 3S.

She can't have 7 triples under the current rule without having a 3Lo or 3axel... Only lady capable of 3 Axel is Kihara and she does a 8 triple program.

Osmond also have other demons to worry about, she gets a caution (!) on her 3Lz on both her program (GPF), this will affect her GOE. She also has problems with her 3S at times; she under-rotated the jump and fell at the GPFs.
OK, I was not aware they could only repeat two triples. I knew you couldn't do the same jump more than twice (second had to be in competition). That makes sense then.

Thanks for clarifying... and I agree with the other post about her having a beautiful 3Loop when she lands it. Just seems like that is the jumpt hat she always struggles with...

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Ratings
It seems like when she gets to the slow section, she loses focus or intensity, and she can't successfully jump with the mindset she has in her slow section.

Someone suggested she switch the 3loop with her 2nd pass, the 2a3t. I think that makes sense for lots of reasons.

shutterbug

Ratings
Kaetlyn's comments on the 3loop: Gabrielle Daleman can breathe again after regaining national crown
“That loop has probably been the most frustrating element for me. In competition, it’s been so off and on but at home it’s my most consistent element. At home I’ll do it 15 times in a row and land it 15 times. Here, once again, the only time I missed it was in my program. But at least this time I stayed on my feet.”
:wall:
My coach always told us that the last element mastered would be the first one to go in a pressure situation, and I suspect that's what is going on with Kaetlyn. IMO, taking out the loop is not the answer. Try it at another point in the program yes, get rid of it, no. As others have pointed out, it's as good as any of her jumps when she lands it. Unfortunately, the time has passed to do a test drive of the program with it in another spot before the Olympics. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)