Joe Biden-Kamala Harris Inauguration Thread

Amy L

I was contemplating getting up early enough to watch the cabinet votes but I'm not a morning person and I'm not really a policy wonk either. Usually I find this stuff kind of boring, I just want to watch sane people who know what they're doing. :lol:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I highly doubt he was disappointed. The flags ... the speeches .. the poem ... it was all beautiful.
Props to whoever developed and implemented the display of the flags on the Mall. Visually compelling both day and night, as well as moving and haunting. The display shimmered all day from the kinetic movement of the flags, each one a momentary shining tribute to a loved one who died.

Not nearly as personal as the AIDS Quilt display (and missing the emotional Bobby McFerrin music from the Common Threads documentary), but still another terrible reminder about what happens when uncaring and unconcerned bad leaders neglect, overlook, even ignore with impunity while people lose their lives. When will we ever learn?

Dobre

That was beautiful. I know a lot of people were sad coming into this celebration that people could not be there for the parade/concert/ceremonies. But you know, I found it much more enjoyable than seeing the crowds along streets on the 4th. It wasn't that people weren't there. They were everywhere. It was a joy to see people participating all across the country and being safe & supportive of one another during the process--to see our country as a whole unified & diverse nation.

Thank you to the organizers & participants from so many walks of life. It was great to see our country again.

MsZem

This is like the greatest hits from a skating exhibition. Feeling Good, Despacito. What's next?
Despacito was an awfully popular song just a few years ago, and was only recently overtaken as the most viewed YouTube video ever.

Be glad they didn't use the most viewed one ;)
According to :sekret:, East of Eden, On My Own, One More Time, and Fields of Gold.

:)
Needs more Jotem.

Dobre

Nathan apparently put one on his insta where Bernie was shopped in to a shot of him and another skater chilling on a bench.
Seems to be trending. I have a former student who had two scenes up today, both with Bernie in scenes from Twilight.

I'm sure this is really not helping the conspiracy folks sort out reality.

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
Any special moments in the concert that Tom Hanks hosted? I wasn’t able to watch. Enjoyed everything that transpired earlier.

I suppose that there were no ball gowns this year...balls cancelled, understandably. No Dr. Jill Biden gown to the Smithsonian?

Lorac

Just caught up on the concert from last night. Well put together and powerful in its simplicity. I did love how President Biden got his wife a crosage and how all the ladies dressed up. Kamala's evening attire was gorgeous and her speech powerful. To be honest the lack of the inauguration balls was a plus IMO. The concert and fireworks help include the country much more.

MsZem

Jenna Bush Hager did a nice interview with Ashley Biden and the Biden granddaughters ahead of the inauguration.

Lorac

Amanda was wonderful on GMA this morning.
Is there a link please. Of course being in the UK I might not get to see it but I'd like to try. I did read that Oprah gifted her the earrings and ring she wore - and her gorgeous yellow coat was my favourite from yesterday.

Lorac

I hope that this is it:
Yes it was. Thank you. The young lady has some serious fashion sense - her red jacket was gorgeous. I am going to have to look for her books now. And her smile just lights up the room. What a treasure and so glad Jill Biden wanted her there.

VGThuy

Maia Shibutani wrote this nice piece on meeting Biden years ago at a state function after the Sochi Games:

For those of you without Twitter:

This is a story about when @AlexShibutani and I met Joe Biden. In a small window of time, @POTUS showed us some of the qualities that I believe will make him a great President of the United States.

In 2015, we were invited to a luncheon at the State Department. While we were somewhat familiar with the proceedings (it was our second function in D.C.), we felt a bit out of place as two of the youngest guests in a room full of important people.

At the end of the event while everyone exited the room, we found ourselves a few tables away from the then Vice President. He spotted Alex and me and with a friendly wave, approached, introduced himself, and congratulated us on our first Olympic Games.

He started telling us about his younger sister, Valerie, and how special and important siblings and family are. His ability to be present and make us feel like we belonged was impactful and memorable. After all, we hadn't expected to meet him - it was simply an honor to be there.

As we were talking, a member of his Secret Service detail came over and asked if we would like a photo together. Alex and I recognized and appreciated this offer for what it was - a move to end our conversation (in a nice and polite way) and keep the VP on schedule.

But Joe (as he asked us to call him) didn’t rush off after the photo. He finished his story about his sister, wished us luck with our future endeavors, and thanked us for representing the country so well. He went out of his way to be kind.

Today is a historic day and I believe our new @POTUS is a person of real character. His humanity, leadership, kindness, and compassion for others gives me hope for brighter days ahead at a time when we all really need it.

Alex had this to add:

After this photo was taken, @POTUS took me by the shoulders, locked eyes with me and said: “Always listen to your sister.”

He didn’t have to tell me that (I already knew), but a good reminder nonetheless.

I think Biden really does value family because he seemed excited about the idea of siblings working together and competing together as a team and was able to relate it to his own life experience with his younger sister.

Lorac

Amanda Gorman was also on Anderson Cooper's show last night.

Wow. She is so eloquent and really gives thought to her words. I would never have guessed she had a speech impediment as she pronounces everything so clearly. And she totally blew Anderson Cooper away - I don't recall seeing him so in awe of another person. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information