Jeremy Corbyn Suspended From Labour Party

antmanb

Lorac

Corbyn just couldn't accept he was wrong on this issue and accept the results of the independent enquiry. To public come out and disagree with several points and claim the issue was 'over-exaggerated' when the leader of the party is accepting the report and stating how anyone who disagreed didn't belong in the party seems to be Corbyn thumbing his nose at those who are angry with his indecision when he was leader and seemingly being blinkered to the issues. Kier Starmer had no alternative but to suspend him and withdraw the whip.

D

Deleted member 40371

Labour hasn't been able to say under what rule he is suspended, I assume JC will sue the hell out of Labour party. Labour already are having massive fund issues after unions have reduced their support as well as drop in membership. JC has a sizeable legal fund that can go after Labour party if he decides to.

Vagabond

Labour hasn't been able to say under what rule he is suspended
Do you have a link for that?

The Labour Party Rule Book does say,
To be and remain eligible for membership, each individual member must:A.accept and conform to theconstitution, programme, principles and policy of the Party
and
In relation to any alleged breach of the constitution, rules or standing orders of the Party by an individual member or members of the Party, the NEC may, pending the final outcome of any investigation and charges (if any),suspend that individual or individuals from office or representation of the Party notwithstanding the fact that the individual concerned has been or may be eligible to be selected as a candidate in any election or by-election.

D

Deleted member 40371

But I was reliably informed by Corbyn supporters on Twitter that he would never support anything anti-Semitic!

I'm no expert on UK politics, but it seems like Labour can only go up from where they ended up with Corbyn.
I highly doubt considering Corbyn nearly won the election in 2017. I do not trust any Blairite, which is what Starmer is...

MsZem

I highly doubt considering Corbyn nearly won the election in 2017. I do not trust any Blairite, which is what Starmer is...
Did he nearly win the most recent election, too?

Maybe voters would prefer a Blairite over someone happy to turn a blind eye to antisemitism. Among other problems.

D

Deleted member 40371

Did he nearly win the most recent election, too?

Maybe voters would prefer a Blairite over someone happy to turn a blind eye to antisemitism. Among other problems.
He didn't turn a blind eye to anti-Semitism there were two cases, read the report, the report itself says anyone can question the veracity of the report. Speaks volumes when Labour would rather have an ideology that killed million-plus brown people as electable.

MsZem

He didn't turn a blind eye to anti-Semitism there were two cases, read the report, the report itself says anyone can question the veracity of the report. Speaks volumes when Labour would rather have an ideology that killed million-plus brown people as electable.
In short: Corbyn led Labour to a horrendous result in the most recent election, and he did nothing when confronted with antisemitism in his own party. Blair should have been clairvoyant and known that a million-plus people would be killed due to the Iraq War (which I'm certainly not going to defend).

Also I guess antisemitism is not a big deal because Jewish people are so privileged or something, and no Jewish person has ever been affected by antisemitism in recent memory :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll bow out as this is not really something that affects me, and wish Labour the best of luck as it tries to move on and return to power.

antmanb

I highly doubt considering Corbyn nearly won the election in 2017.
:rofl: no he didn't! He needed something like 65 more seats to win and didn't even come close.

I never understood the celebrations that night and acting like Labour had won when all they did was take a few seats from the conservatives. Any other leader would have resigned after than failure rather than carry on to lead the party into the biggest Tory win for decades.

D

Deleted member 40371

In short: Corbyn led Labour to a horrendous result in the most recent election, and he did nothing when confronted with antisemitism in his own party. Blair should have been clairvoyant and known that a million-plus people would be killed due to the Iraq War (which I'm certainly not going to defend).

Also I guess antisemitism is not a big deal because Jewish people are so privileged or something, and no Jewish person has ever been affected by antisemitism in recent memory :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll bow out as this is not really something that affects me, and wish Labour the best of luck as it tries to move on and return to power.
WTF are you talking about, an unnecessary war, that would kill 100s of thousands would not people don't need to be clairvoyant. Anti Semitism bad, but Islamophobia and racism okay.

D

Deleted member 40371

Is that the best you can do? A tweet from a Murdoch employee who doesn't identify his source?

He may well have spoken with a Labour member or even an official, but which one?
Labour party themselves haven't specified what he is suspended under. Show the official press release then ???

D

Deleted member 40371

The campaign against antisemitism has complained against Abbott, Apsana Begum, Tahir Ali and Barry Gardner and others, many of them belong to the left-wing part of Labour and Pro-Palestinian

antmanb

WTF are you talking about, an unnecessary war, that would kill 100s of thousands would not people don't need to be clairvoyant. Anti Semitism bad, but Islamophobia and racism okay.
WTF are you talking about??

What does the Iraq war have to do with Corbyn or Starmer.

You're as bad as caseyedwards and IMPEACH at this point.

litenkyckling

Not sure if anyone here has read Corbyn's statement - he said that there is antisemitism in the Labour party and also in British society, that he is very sorry that he did not do enough, that he tried to make changes but they were difficult to implement, and that he is committed to making Jewish members feel safe in the Labour party. He also said that they media made it seem like there was a lot more cases than there actually were, which he argues does the Jewish community a disservice as there suffering within the party was then used a political football. I don't see how this is grounds for expulsion?

There are members of the Shadow Cabinet who have shared antisemitic information and not been suspended. I'm sure everyone is for zero tolerance, but if that is the case then it should be applied to every incidence, no?

Of course Corbyn isn't perfect, but based on that statement it wasn't a case for expulsion with strong evidence. The discussion today shouldn't be about blame but instead how the party moves forward to make it safer for Jewish members - instead there is factional warfare (which didn't need to happen) distracting from that.

MsZem

I've changed my mind about bowing out, this requires a response:

1. Corbyn enabled antisemitism in the Labour party and there's no getting around that.
2. Corbyn led the party to horrendous results.
3. Many people thought that the Iraq war was a good idea when it started. They were very, very wrong. See: "which I'm certainly not going to defend".
4. Saying these things does not make me Islamophobic or a racist.
5. This is the kind of poisonous discourse that Corbyn's actions have led to.

@antmanb - apologies for going OT, some things need to be called out. I'll take you out to dinner when you finally visit again :)

D

Deleted member 40371

WTF are you talking about??

What does the Iraq war have to do with Corbyn or Starmer.

You're as bad as caseyedwards and IPEACH at this point.
read the comment from Zem girl...
Not sure if anyone here has read Corbyn's statement - he said that there is antisemitism in the Labour party and also in British society, that he is very sorry that he did not do enough, that he tried to make changes but they were difficult to implement, and that he is committed to making Jewish members feel safe in the Labour party. He also said that they media made it seem like there was a lot more cases than there actually were, which he argues does the Jewish community a disservice as there suffering within the party was then used a political football. I don't see how this is grounds for expulsion?

There are members of the Shadow Cabinet who have shared antisemitic information and not been suspended. I'm sure everyone is for zero tolerance, but if that is the case then it should be applied to every incidence, no?

Of course Corbyn isn't perfect, but based on that statement it wasn't a case for expulsion with strong evidence. The discussion today shouldn't be about blame but instead how the party moves forward to make it safer for Jewish members - instead there is factional warfare (which didn't need to happen) distracting from that.
This

Lorac

Labour party themselves haven't specified what he is suspended under. Show the official press release then ???
They have suspended him for refusing to retract his words of disagreement regarding the findings of the independent inquiry into the Labour Party and anti Semitism. As @Vagabond linked in post 4 above he has clearly refused to accept the party line on this. They have suspended him until he can be investigated as determined by their constitution and well within their rights. He can appeal and take his case to the Labour Party ruling committee now if he wants but the Labour Party were well within their rights to suspend him.

D

Deleted member 40371

I've changed my mind about bowing out, this requires a response:

1. Corbyn enabled antisemitism in the Labour party and there's no getting around that.
2. Corbyn led the party to horrendous results.
3. Many people thought that the Iraq war was a good idea when it started. They were very, very wrong. See: "which I'm certainly not going to defend".
4. Saying these things does not make me Islamophobic or a racist.
5. This is the kind of poisonous discourse that Corbyn's actions have led to.

@antmanb - apologies for going OT, some things need to be called out. I'll take you out to dinner when you finally visit again :)
Corbyn Did not do what you claim, read the fcuking report. So did many other leaders, so Clinton should be given the same. Only racists and Islamophobes thought the Iraq war was a good action, that is why millions marched in London. It is definitely not Corbyn's fault.

Lorac

He hasn't been expelled - he has been suspended and had the whip removed whilst the Labour Party investigate his comments and the context of them. If it is determined he hasn't done anything wrong he will be re-instated.

Vagabond

And do you have a link to the report? Or are you relying on a tweet for this too?

Here's what The Guardian says:
In a long-awaited report, the EHRC said there were “serious failings in the Labour party leadership in addressing antisemitism and an inadequate process for handling antisemitism complaints”.

It said Labour under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn was responsible for three breaches of the Equality Act, connected to harassment, political interference in antisemitism complaints and inadequate training for those handling the complaints.

The EHRC’s lead investigator, Alasdair Henderson, said the failure of leadership must ultimately stop with Corbyn. “As the leader of the party at the time, and given the extent of the failings we found in the political interference within the leader of the opposition’s office, Jeremy Corbyn is ultimately accountable and responsible for what happened at that time,” Henderson said.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/29/labour-accused-of-harassment-and-discrimination-in-antisemitism-inquiry

I would trust a Guardian reporter who quotes sources over your unsubstantiated assertions.

litenkyckling

He hasn't been expelled - he has been suspended and had the whip removed whilst the Labour Party investigate his comments and the context of them. If it is determined he hasn't done anything wrong he will be re-instated.
oh yeah I know - sorry that a mis-phrasing from me - but the suspension is with a view of expulsion always and so what he has said is their evidence (if that makes sense)

MacMadame

Staying at home
Which is not what you said earlier. You said they "can't" say which rule. As in, they can't find a rule. That is different from them not responding to a particular journalist who asked what the rule was.

Vagabond

Here is the report.

We saw political interference happening on 23 occasions in our sample of 70 cases, sometimes more than once in the same case. Of these there were:
• 8 instances between March 2016 and the start of March 2018
• 10 instances during the period when this apparently became a more formalised policy between March and April 2018, and
• 5 instances between April 2018 and May 2019.
Both of these practices or policies fall within the definition of indirect discrimination that we explain in Chapter 2.
These practices or policies put the person making an antisemitism complaint at a disadvantage, because they gave rise to a reasonable perception of different and detrimental treatment, and a risk that their complaint would not be handled fairly, as well as actual different treatment in some cases (which was reasonably perceived to be detrimental). For example, political interference may have resulted in a complaint not being investigated because of fear of reputational damage to the Labour Party, rather than the conduct of the member complained of, or being handled more or less leniently than was justified by the facts of the case.
The word "veracity" does not appear anywhere in the report.

PRlady

And do you have a link to the report? Or are you relying on a tweet for this too?

Here's what The Guardian says:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/29/labour-accused-of-harassment-and-discrimination-in-antisemitism-inquiry

I would trust a Guardian reporter who quotes sources over your unsubstantiated assertions.
Let us not forget that the Guardian is generally pro-Labour and hard on Israel. This is not Murdoch news. And it's clear from the report that there were dozens of incidents that didn't get handled properly, that the Labour staff either couldn't be bothered to or for political reasons didn't want to handle them and that the two incidences reported are, in the report's words, "the tip of the iceberg."

As most here know I spent 13 years working against the Israeli government for a better and more just Israel and I'm sure not a Tory-lover. But Corbyn's reign was way, way over the line and I understand why British Jews were so afraid and upset and voted for Johnson. Corbyn can whine all he wants but he's getting what he deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information