Japanese figure skating 2022-23 season news & updates

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!

…JSF made competing here, a pre-condition to funding a skater returning from injury, Rika Kihira.
….
Reading this, it seems that if she doesn’t perform strongly, Rika Kihira may not be funded to compete at her GP assignments (Canada & Finland). 😢

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Since I was not able to find Japanese Domestic Competitions thread for this season, I am posting on this thread.
Thanks for your info! I've created the JPN national qualifying & domestic competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...onal-qualifying-domestic-competitions.109915/

Machine translation of Rika Kihira's 9/22 tweet: https://twitter.com/rika_kihira/status/1572890247297630209
It's almost time for the Chubu Championships 😳
I have a little bit of an injury, but it's still not completely healed, so I'm not going to practice as much on the ice as I did last year, but I'm going to play with a lower composition. 💪
I really want to go to the All Japan Championships, so I won't push myself too hard so that I can pass the qualifiers for the Chubu Championships, but I'll do my best! ! !

ostile17

I'm really worried that KanaDai have not entered any CS or international comps before SkAm.
They should have competed more this season, that's what Marina promised during the summer.

I don't know if it's up to them or JSF but.... debuting the new programs at SkAm without any feedback seems such a bad idea!

Hopefully, as usual, I am wrong!

Karen-W

I'm really worried that KanaDai have not entered any CS or international comps before SkAm.
They should have competed more this season, that's what Marina promised during the summer.

I don't know if it's up to them or JSF but.... debuting the new programs at SkAm without any feedback seems such a bad idea!

Hopefully, as usual, I am wrong!
They're hardly alone in not debuting until the GP (Chock/Bates, Gilles/Poirier, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Wang/Liu), and it's not as though Team KoKo are out there competing much prior to the GP - they did US Classic but aren't registered for any other Challengers.

layman

Looking at Rika Kihira's performances from the Chubu Regional Championships 2022 in Japan it looks like she still has a ways to go to (fully) recover from her injury.

Rika's jumping reminds me of Surya Bonaly after the devastating achilles injury that Surya sustained in 1997 that nearly ended her career. Surya was still struggling with that injury at the 1998 Olympics but she was fully healed from it and got all of her jumps back a few years later after she turned pro.

I bring up Surya's example to show that it may take a few years for Rika Kihira to get back to jumping the way that she was, but Surya's example shows that Rika can do it (in time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information