James Comey Fired

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Omarosa is such a hypocrite! She supported Trump, knowing that he was a racist and was bragging about sexual assault on women. She knew that the republucans had disenfranchised black voters in battleground states. Yet she was so proud of Trump's victory.

The reason I am adding this to the Comey thread is that she wrote that had Coney nit written that letter about HRC's emails, she would ha e won. She further added that the FBI was investigating the Trump campaign's Russia connection, but the FBI did not announce that. If they had, it would have neutralized the HRC letter's effect on voter turnout.

Now I am upset with Comey again. I still believe it was (both) an honest mistake on his part, but those were blunders that the country will pay for, over decades.

ballettmaus

Ratings
CNN (and other news outlets) are reporting that Manafort has reached a tentative plea deal. Let's see if that one goes through. (But I guess, that they negotiated again means that there was no pardon offer after the first one fell through ... )

Vash01

Ratings
CNN (and other news outlets) are reporting that Manafort has reached a tentative plea deal. Let's see if that one goes through. (But I guess, that they negotiated again means that there was no pardon offer after the first one fell through ... )
From what I heard he is not going to cooperate; just enter a guilty plea. Why would Mueller agree to such a deal? Enquiring mind wants to know. :)

ballettmaus

Ratings
From what I heard he is not going to cooperate; just enter a guilty plea. Why would Mueller agree to such a deal? Enquiring mind wants to know. :)
Here's a pretty informative twitter thread (even though it doesn't completely answer your question).
https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1040372084181032962

I have a really hard time believing that Mueller (or any prosecutor for that matter) would agree to drop some charges and recommend a reduced sentencing without getting something in return.

Vash01

Ratings
Here's a pretty informative twitter thread (even though it doesn't completely answer your question).
https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1040372084181032962

I have a really hard time believing that Mueller (or any prosecutor for that matter) would agree to drop some charges and recommend a reduced sentencing without getting something in return.
I don't see anything beyond the first tweet. Twitter is giving me problems. It even told me that I need an internet connection to access Twitter.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
Ratings
Thank you. I didn't know that double jeopardy doesn't attach until a jury is impaneled. I'm (obviously) not an attorney. :)

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Ratings
I don't see anything beyond the first tweet. Twitter is giving me problems. It even told me that I need an internet connection to access Twitter.
Well, it's now pretty much irrelevant but it said basically that it would guarantee a guilty verdict for the prosecution and save a lot of money and that Manafort could plead guilty without a deal, too. (But in that case, only admitting guilt and saving the government money would work in Manafort's favor).

ballettmaus

Ratings
Another lawyer from the same firm that Manafort's son-in-law worked at is now caught up in the Mueller probe as well. He is accused of having failed to register as a foreign agent. https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/14/poli...n-agent-registration-investigation/index.html

What bothers me is that it takes reading half of the article to find out that this work happened long after he left his job as WH counsel. This kind of reporting plus sharing it with an emphasize on him having been Obama's WH counsel plays right into the hands of Trump. I know that I've asked it before but when will journalists learn? (And I'm not saying they should leave out that detail but it seems rather irrelevant to his possible crime so why put it front and center (that's a rhetorical question, it sells better)).

Vash01

Ratings

once_upon

Ratings
Or a presidential pardon for Manafort?
Discussion on All in with Chris Hayes is saying that people (GOP) are recommending to not or lose the House and Senate in November.
The keys words I heard in Manafort's statement was "keep my family safe" as one of the reasons he pled guilty. He was dealing with some bad ass governments.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Or a presidential pardon for Manafort?
Wouldn't it amount to obstruction at this point? He'd pardon Manafort to keep him from cooperating. (Not that the GOP cares :( )

I'm wondering if Team Manafort leaked that a first plea deal fell through to see how Trump would react in regards to a pardon and that, when he didn't react (my assumption) they decided to go for the deal.

The keys words I heard in Manafort's statement was "keep my family safe" as one of the reasons he pled guilty. He was dealing with some bad ass governments.
This is what I noticed as well and considering who he dealt with, I thought it was an interesting comment. You'd think that keeping his mouth shut was the best way to keep his family safe. Apparently not.

Vagabond

Ratings
Wouldn't it amount to obstruction at this point? He'd pardon Manafort to keep him from cooperating.
It's too late for pardoning Manafort to help Trump. Manafort has already had to tell Mueller what he knows in order to secure the plea bargain. And even if Trump pardons Manafort, Mueller can still compel Manafort to testify before a grand jury. Manafort won't be able to plead the Fifth.

Isn't that nice? :)

Vash01

Ratings
^I keep forgetting that a pardon would mean no more pleading the 5th :)
Since his deal requires him to fully cooperate with the Mueller investigation, I don't think he can plead the 5th.

I am waiting for a tweet storm from Trump, about yet another 'back stabber, disloyal former employee'.

Of course Giuliani said there is no Russia collusion and all this is about Manafort's financial issues. The reality is Giuliani does not know what Manafort may have already told the investigators, but in the Trump admin, everyone is instructed to support/lie for Trump, no matter what. Now Manafort cannot lie though. Hopefully the truth will come out. The citizens of this country deserve to know what really happened in the 2016 election.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Even impeachment cannot undo the election (meaning giving it to his opponent), as per our constitution. We will be stuck with Pence at least until 2020 if Trump is impeached or is forced to resign.
I view it as if you remove the main criminal of the 2016 election and main beneficiary of the criminal 2016 election and impeach and remove trump or 25th amendment him then you have really undone it!

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings
It's too late for pardoning Manafort to help Trump. Manafort has already had to tell Mueller what he knows in order to secure the plea bargain. And even if Trump pardons Manafort, Mueller can still compel Manafort to testify before a grand jury. Manafort won't be able to plead the Fifth.

Isn't that nice? :)
Rachel had a former prosecutor for SDNY on last night. If I understood him right, whilst the pardon power is pretty much unlimited, if a presidential pardon is given in order to protect the president from prosecution, that is very problematic. Would this present Congress do anything about it? No. Even though GOP senators have warned him, they are still spineless, gutless cowards.

Vash01

Ratings
Rachel had a former prosecutor for SDNY on last night. If I understood him right, whilst the pardon power is pretty much unlimited, if a presidential pardon is given in order to protect the president from prosecution, that is very problematic. Would this present Congress do anything about it? No. Even though GOP senators have warned him, they are still spineless, gutless cowards.
I like Daniel Goldman. He is very good at explaining.

ballettmaus

Ratings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 8)