James Comey Fired

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Ratings
I hope Manafort gets a very long prison sentence.
He faces another trial in September then could be retried on the remaining 10 counts.

Looking at this guy on TV, I have serious concerns he may try to kill himself rather then spend the rest of his life in prison.....

Buzz

Ratings
I have no idea what other Canadians think of U.S. sentencing. I just know that we are transfixed by the shenanigans down south. All this is being carried live on my local news station.

ballettmaus

Ratings
He faces another trial in September then could be retried on the remaining 10 counts.
I've read that the remaining charges will be taken into account during sentencing even though the jury didn't reach a verdict. I have no idea if this is true but it's coming from a former federal prosecuter.
If Manafort is found guilty in DC as well I wonder if the government will re-try. Other than making an example of Manafort and making a point it wouldn't really serve a purpose. But it would waste a lot of money.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
Please. He's a Mafia lap dog.

Would Trump dare say something about a "fake jury" at the rally?
He'll focus on the 10 counts they couldn't agree on and pretend that makes him innocent.

ETA It's quite possible to have complaints about our criminal justice system and still want one individual to get a long sentence.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings
In a written statement, Lanny Davis, attorney for Michael D. Cohen, just said that today Cohen "stood up and testified under oath that Donald Trump directed him to commit a crime by making payments to two women for the principal purpose of influencing an election."

FiveRinger

Ratings

Looking at this guy on TV, I have serious concerns he may try to kill himself rather then spend the rest of his life in prison.....
The fact that he has another trial, and the chances are pretty strong that he's going to be found guilty of something.....the fact that he is 70+ years old, and the current guilty federal charges have maximum charges of 80 years, I don't see the point of going thru the expense of going thru another trial for those 10 charges. It looks like he's going to be in prison for the rest of his life, regardless.

Have no doubt, he will be on suicide watch until further notice.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
In a written statement, Lanny Davis, attorney for Michael D. Cohen, just said that today Cohen "stood up and testified under oath that Donald Trump directed him to commit a crime by making payments to two women for the principal purpose of influencing an election."
Rachel Maddow showed what he said. He never mentioned Trump by name, though most of us know who he was talking about. Will Trump devotees believe it was him? I don't think so.

ballettmaus

Ratings
The fact that he has another trial, and the chances are pretty strong that he's going to be found guilty of something
From what I heard, there's even more evidence for the DC trial. And I have no idea how this Jury could possibly ignore this guilty verdict. I'd probably think he committed those crimes, so there's no reason to doubt he committed the other ones as well.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Alfa Bank lost their defamation lawsuit against Steele yesterday https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...stopher-steeles-victory-in-a-dc-court/568057/

In his decision to toss the case “with prejudice”—that is, permanently—Judge Anthony C. Epstein of the Washington, D.C., Superior Court concluded that the author of the dossier, the former British intelligence officer Christopher Steele, acted “in furtherance of the right of advocacy on issues of public interest” when he decided to brief reporters on the dossier’s findings in the summer of 2016. Steele’s conduct is therefore protected by “anti-SLAPP” statutes, according to the judge, which aim to halt lawsuits brought to chill the exercise of constitutionally protected free speech.

caseyedwards

Ratings
America is so strange. There is impeachment and removal. Cohen Doesn’t have to be a huge national story that takes up 90% of news today. IF trump is impeached and removed America can focus on real issues. I guess there are no issues in America. Everything is perfect so the federal government and its leaders doesn’t have anything to do so all can focus on Cohen and Omarosa.

FiveRinger

Ratings
Cohen has been subpoenaed in connection with the Trump Foundation investigation in NY https://apnews.com/72c5c19195f84abf...ter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true
Rachel Maddow has given a full run down, explaining the civil suit filed against the Trump Foundation, Trump himself, and his 3 oldest kids. I couldn’t explain it all on my best day. But it is fascinating. The state if NY has a crap ton of evidence that they have forwarded to all kinds of federal and state agencies to determine if criminal charges can be filed. State charges are not pardonable.

I need a jug of wine to go with the popcorn. This is just unspeakable. All of it....

snowbird

Ratings
At MRC newsbusters there's a collection of the msm's pieces on the Ken
Starr's investigation which led to Clinton's impeachment/
BTW, I will never, never, never forgive Jay Leno for the hatchet job he did on Ken Starr or his night ater night jokes about Linda Tripps unattractiveness.

ballettmaus

Ratings
I need a jug of wine to go with the popcorn. This is just unspeakable. All of it....
What I find even more unspeakable is the fact that not one person in power is discussing that it is increasingly likely that Republicans only won through illegal means. That means they have no business being in the WH in the first place but TPTB continue to ignore that.

The juror who held out on the 10 accounts claimed to have reasonable doubts on all 18 accounts. Sounds to me like the juror is confusing motivation to bring charges with evidence. Even if the prosecutions motivation was that they hoped to put pressure on Manafort, the evidence doesn't change. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2e98c13528d_story.html?utm_term=.da2658a0d53e

Susan1

Ratings
The juror who held out on the 10 accounts claimed to have reasonable doubts on all 18 accounts. Sounds to me like the juror is confusing motivation to bring charges with evidence. Even if the prosecutions motivation was that they hoped to put pressure on Manafort, the evidence doesn't change. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2e98c13528d_story.html?utm_term=.da2658a0d53e
"Reasonable doubt" and "without a shadow of a doubt" are different things. How could only 10 of the counts be dropped? Didn't they all have the same type of evidence?

I'd be a terrible juror. I'd go in with "guilty until proven innocent"! :)

ballettmaus

Ratings
NBC article/interview with the juror who also was on Fox News. According to her, the holdout couldn't explain why she had doubts. Unless I missed something isn't the very definition of reasonable doubt that there is a reason my doubt is based on? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-...afort-guilty-mueller-probe-witch-hunt-n903201

Also from the interview:
She's not even sure Russia interfered in the election.

"I as a voter, when I went out to check my boxes I didn't see any Russian holding a gun to my head, so how could Russia have affected the campaign results," said Duncan, who first spoke to Fox News.
:wall:

skatesindreams

Ratings
^^^
How was the juror who spoke even deemed qualified to serve, after being questioned during the selection process?!
Did she express any of those sentiments, then?

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Ratings
^^^
How was the holdout even deemed qualified to serve, after being questioned during the selection process?!
The Trump voter and holdout are two different people. The Trump voter thought Manafort was guilty on all 18 counts. In my opinion, that tells you something about the evidence. If even a crazy Trump supporter like she seems to be thinks that the evidence was too overwhelming, it must have been good!

ballettmaus

Ratings
The Trump supporting juror thinks pardoning Manafort would be a mistake. https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/24/poli...on-juror-anderson-cooper-360-cnntv/index.html

I really don't understand how someone like her (someone who seems to have a firm grip on reality/justice) can be a Trump supporter. Her views/understanding of justice don't seem to fit with that. (And neither does her statement that no Russian was holding a gun to her head while she voted so there can't be Russian interference. This woman is a contradiction but I guess, that's why it's futile to try and convince die-hard Trump supporters of why he's bad).

aftershocks

Ratings
The Trump supporting juror thinks pardoning Manafort would be a mistake. https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/24/poli...on-juror-anderson-cooper-360-cnntv/index.html

I really don't understand how someone like her (someone who seems to have a firm grip on reality/justice) can be a Trump supporter. Her views/understanding of justice don't seem to fit with that. (And neither does her statement that no Russian was holding a gun to her head while she voted so there can't be Russian interference. This woman is a contradiction but I guess, that's why it's futile to try and convince die-hard Trump supporters of why he's bad).
I don't think rationality is involved. It's knee-jerk emotional reactions. Quite a few people, even some non-Trump supporters initially saw Trump as a 'businessman' until that false, trumped-up cover was blown. Some people still hold to that false 'businessman' narrative, ignoring the orange narcissistic conman who has been hamstrung by the prestigious office he holds, even as he is still trying flailingly to fashion a dictatorship. From the day he announced, Trump's true colors showed, yet even the media was complicit in enabling the Trump campaign circus, while stupidly taking it for granted Trump couldn't win, and subconsciously or blatantly not wanting Hillary to win either.

Many of those still joined at the hip with DT (including the hold-out juror apparently) have been saying that DT better not pardon Manafort, or else. I guess that means some supporters feel a pardon would be one lie too many which in their own guilt, they would no longer be able to hide behind. So it seems while Trump can lie 24/7, 'grab pu**y', slam people on Twitter and threaten that he can shoot anyone on the street with impunity, the buck stops at a bold-faced Manafort pardon. :lol: :drama:

Even the atmosphere of mind-boggling ridiculosity has become commonplace and tiresome. I applaud everyone who is still trying to do their job in D.C. and in the world of journalism with decency, dedication and responsibility. There are gobsmacking Trump idiots still rationalizing their support in front of tv cameras: one male fool is apparently convinced that Trump lied about paying Cohen and lied about knowing that Cohen had paid off the paramours because Trump just wanted to protect Melania's sensitive feelings. :rolleyes: :violin: No kidding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)