Israeli PM Netanyahu indicted on corruption-related charges

MsZem

To be precise: bribery, fraud and breach of trust. The previous PM, Ehud Olmert, served a prison sentence following a bribery and breach of trust conviction.

More to come, I am sure.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Too bad they can’t be in the same prison! It would be so exiciting to see trump in prison and die in prison like Netanyahu will

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
To be precise: bribery, fraud and breach of trust. The previous PM, Ehud Olmert, served a prison sentence following a bribery and breach of trust conviction.

More to come, I am sure.
It seems Israel has a better justice system. No one is above the law. In the USA a President cannot be indicted while in the office.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
It seems Israel has a better justice system. No one is above the law. In the USA a President cannot be indicted while in the office.
Although that’s not a law, it’s merely DoJ’s Office of Legal Counsel opinion. But it does seem to have become scripture.

MsZem

The State of Israel vs. Benjamin Netanyahu.

agalisgv

Not sure where to put this, but any thoughts on proposed peace plan announced today? Both Bibi and Gantz saying they’ll support it.

Here’s another link that has proposed map. Basically land swap with territory along southern border of Egypt in Negev.

PRlady

Not sure where to put this, but any thoughts on proposed peace plan announced today? Both Bibi and Gantz saying they’ll support it.

Here’s another link that has proposed map. Basically land swap with territory along southern border of Egypt in Negev.

You have to read carefully (or in Hebrew) -- Gantz ONLY supports it if is negotiated directly with the Palestinians. That's a huge "if" and negates his support for the plan.

It's a ridiculous proposal that is DOA, it was written by and with the settlers and provides the Pals with disconnected Bantustans and no real sovereignty. Not one real Middle East expert from the center-right to the left supports it and it will go nowhere, except for opening the Overton Windown to the right-wing-settler view of reality, which is bad enough in itself.

PRlady

Here's what Ayman Odeh, the head of Israel's united Arab parties, said on Twitter:

כמו מדיניות ההפרדה בדרום ארה"ב, האפרטהייד, מלחמת וייטנאם ואינספור כתמים אחרים בהיסטוריה האנושית גם הכיבוש יסתיים והעם הפלסטיני יחיה במדינה עצמאית לצד מדינת ישראל. בסוף, הדרישה הצודקת לשוויון ושלום תגבר על הכניעה לעליונות ומלחמה.

Like the separation policy in the southern US, apartheid, the Vietnam War, and countless other spots in human history, the occupation will also end, and the Palestinian people will live in an independent state alongside the State of Israel.

I believe he's right, I just don't know when.

MsZem

^What are the odds that he'll be convicted?
His predecessor served time for a corruption conviction. The head of the three-judge panel who will hear Bibi's case convicted Olmert.

We've sent lots of politicians to prison.

PRlady

I think there's a good chance he'll be convicted. The equivalent of the US Attorney General was a Netanyahu appointee and I think those charges are backed up really well or he wouldn't have been indicted.

A former president of Israel serves time for rape. The presidents are mostly ornamental but it's still a very important job, symbolically.

MsZem

Some of the many Israeli politicians who were convicted and served prison sentences:
  • Moshe Katsav, President 2000-2007: rape.
  • Ehud Olmert, Prime Minister 2006-2009: corruption-related case including fraud, breach of trust, tax evasion.
  • Avraham Hirschson, held several ministerial positions in 2005-2007: convicted on various counts related to theft and embezzlement.
  • Gonen Segev, Minister of Energy and Infrastructure in the mid-1990s: engaged in criminal activities after his political career, currently serving an eleven year sentence for an espionage conviction (!)
  • Aryeh Deri, government minister 1988-1993: corruption-related conviction. Returned to politics and has since held other ministerial positions. Currently under investigation for more criming, indictment recommended.
  • Stas Misezhnikov, Minister of Tourism 2009-13: corruption-related conviction, possibly drug-related stuff as well (I'm not sure what he was ultimately sentenced for).

PRlady

Fania Kirschenbaum, previously #2 in the “Russian party,” currently serving time for diverting government money to pretend-NGOs that gave her kickbacks. This one gives me great joy because she came after me personally in public while still in the Knesset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information