Israeli elections 2020: third time's the charm?

MsZem

It's midnight, so even if the Knesset hadn't voted to disperse it would now be official. The vote moves the election date up from March 10th to March 2nd.

As @Vagabond noted in the previous election thread, this does raise the question of what is more likely in 2020: a new partner for Krasnopolski or a 4th election in the fall?

Good luck to us all.

MsZem

The party lists must be submitted this week ahead of the March 2nd - a Monday, how radical! - election. The latest:

Sucks to be Bibi?

Kahlon out.

Meretz and Labor might finally do the right thing with a strategic merger. This being the Israeli left, there's still a strong chance that they'll screw it up.

Krasnopolski is still with the same partner.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Am now not sure I want to vote for Meretz/Labor. While am ok with Horovits and Michaeli am not particularly fond of Perets. Can Livni plz come back?

MsZem

Am now not sure I want to vote for Meretz/Labor. While am ok with Horovits and Michaeli am not particularly fond of Perets. Can Livni plz come back?
I'm still shocked that they managed to merge.

Stav Shaffir is out, of course.

MsZem

This specific lawsuit may be a new one but otherwise it's super-old news, everyone knows Sara Netanyahu is dreadful. Also she's a grifter, while Klobuchar does put in the work.

Final polls released today ahead of Monday's election suggest a fourth election is in our future.

PRlady

MsZem

It's election day!

President Rivlin is not happy:
He's not wrong.

Voting as of 2pm: 38.1%, ahead of 2019a and 2019b.
There are special polling stations for people who are under isolation after being exposed to the ********:

Debbie S

I read that turnout in Tel Aviv was relatively low, which hurt Gantz. Apparently, Gantz and some other BW leaders went walking through the streets encouraging people to vote via megaphone. Unfortunately, not enough.

MsZem

Best case scenario: more gridlock! Worst case scenario: the right-wing bloc goes up to 61 in the final count and/or they persuade someone to cross the lines and join their coalition.

ETA: I suppose the true best-case scenario would be a unity government with Bibi taking a timeout to deal with his legal case. And then unicorns will frolic on the beaches of Tel Aviv and in the Galilee.

I read that turnout in Tel Aviv was relatively low, which hurt Gantz. Apparently, Gantz and some other BW leaders went walking through the streets encouraging people to vote via megaphone. Unfortunately, not enough.
I haven't seen anything like that on the news, but maybe I missed the coverage.

Gantz spoke - with a megaphone - at Tel Aviv's Dizengoff Center, famous for being a maze that people can't find their way out of. As one journalist later quipped, apparently they didn't find their way out :D

Last edited:

MsZem

Oh, interesting: the religious-right wing bloc is down to 58 seats and the Joint List (Arab parties) is up to 16.
This update is based on 92% of the vote, but Haaretz (in Hebrew) gives the same distribution with 97%.

The soldiers' votes have yet to be counted, so I do expect the Joint List to drop back to 15. The question is - who will be the beneficiary?

Debbie S

So would Lieberman join the left-center block? :watch:

Although, according to the article Zemgirl posted, Labor and Gesher are mad at Gantz and may join with Netanyahu. That would be....interesting.

MsZem

So would Lieberman join the left-center block? :watch:

Although, according to the article Zemgirl posted, Labor and Gesher are mad at Gantz and may join with Netanyahu. That would be....interesting.
It's all rumors right now, nobody knows anything. I can't see anyone from L.G.M. going with Bibi except maybeeeee Orly Levi.

At the moment the right wing bloc is back to 59 seats. Stay tuned for more from the Central Elections Committee...

MsZem

Final though still unofficial results:
This includes the quarantined/isolated voters ;)

Religious/right bloc: 58 seats
Likud 36
Shas 9
United Torah 7
Yamina 6

Center/left
Blue & White 33
Joint List 15
Labor Gesher Meretz 7

Liberman et al.
Israel Beitenu 7

MsZem

The entire Joint Arab List - including Balad - is recommending Gantz for Prime Minister. This is unprecedented.
Whether Gantz will indeed be able to form a government given such a highly unusual coalition is another matter. Bibi is making various overtures for an emergency government, which makes sense on paper but appears to be mostly about keeping himself in power.

The new Knesset session starts tomorrow.

ETA: Gantz got to 61!

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Lahav Harkov
@LahavHarkov

Anti-Netanyahu protest in Rabin Square tonight. The organizers put Xs down on the ground so people kept a proper distance from each other. (Credit: Elad Gutman)

Joyce Karam
@Joyce_Karam

Basic backgrounder on why people are risking their health & protesting in #Israel : Gov. emergency declarations during ******** to track civilians, and Netanyahu's attempt to appoint police chief as he faces indictments of fraud & corruption

Vagabond

“I look on the developments in the Knesset with deep concern as they shake the already fragile relations between coalition partners. As a citizen and on behalf of us all, I say: get a grip!” Rivlin wrote. “Stop the talk of early elections, of that terrible option at this time... The State of Israel is not a rag doll you drag around as you squabble."
I wonder whether Evgeni Krasnopolski would be available to be a coalition partner. :unsure:

MsZem

Israel only has in-person, same-day voting (those working in Israeli diplomatic missions and their family members do vote early), so to do this with the pandemlc going on... it would be grossly irresponsible. Back in March there were special polling locations for people who were quarantined after exposure to someone with CV or due to returning from abroad, but the numbers are so much higher now.

Bibi wants another election to try and get a more favorable coalition that would help him avoid a trial. One would hope that even Krasnopolski would have higher standards than that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information