Israeli Elections, 2019 Edition

ballettmaus

As to Trump, they don't necessarily like him but they love what he is doing for Israel.
I don't think he's doing anything for Israel. I think what he's doing, he is doing, he's doing for his own image, possibly even as part of a quid-pro-quo. If I were Israeli, I'd be very afraid of where this will lead and where it'll end.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I assume they're Russian originally. That segment of the population skews right.
Born and raised Israelis, except some of the older generation who came from all over.

Yesterday I talked to an educated, very well-traveled person who voted Labor. Even still they said Bibi is a very intelligent and good person. But when this Labor voter was visiting certain extreme left pockets in the US, they were accused of being ring wing.

I also spoke to someone also very well educated who said many Israelis view Trump’s attitude towards Israel as an opportunity

I didn’t speak to any Russians during the trip, not about politics at least.

Last edited:

MsZem

I imagine most Israelis, regardless of their politics, will concede that Bibi is intelligent and well-educated, and has had some accomplishments over the years. He likely started out with good intentions as well, much as I disagree with his beliefs. But he's corrupt, and will do anything to ensure his political survival. He enables and sometimes encourages mistrust and division, if not outright hate. That's not a good person.

The massive vote for Blue and White - an unproven entity with pretty muddled positions - tells you that most of the Israeli center (not to mention the left) is desperate to get rid of Bibi. I certainly can't speak for all of them, but l do know a few more centrist Israeli people than you do.

Playing to Trump and the Republican party in its current form may severely damage Israel's relationship with the Democratic party. I don't think that's a good idea, nor is it good for the US to indulge the Israeli right as it brings us closer to one-state reality.

IceAlisa

You’d be surprised how big our Israeli network of friends and family is but lets not get into my daddy is bigger than your daddy type of conversation.

If Trump helps Israel accomplish its immediate goals, there’s nothing any future Dems in power can do. It will be a done deal.

PRlady

Well, not so. Even with the embassy move, the status of Jerusalem was left unresolved. A future administration can keep the embassy there and open another one in a Palestinian neighborhood as the diplomatic arm to deal with the PA.

The Golan recognition is harder to rescind particularly because no sane person wants Israel to negotiate it with Assad.

But all the $ Trump has pulled from the Palestinians can be restored in five minutes. The military aid to Israel could be cut by the percentage used to sustain the occupation and settlements. The US could support or at least not obstruct Palestinian legal appeals to The Hague. The anti-BDS legislation could strongly differentiate between Israel and the territories.

Any Dem president could do some or all of these things. I’m not a Bernie fan but I know his foreign policy guy and believe me, Bibi’s one-party strategy is going to hurt Israel no matter what Dem is elected. They are all rightfully pissed.

IceAlisa

I was mostly thinking of the Golan Heights and the embassy. Btw, the Golan Heights Sauvignon blanc from Yarden alone is worth it. You know Syria isn’t going to make it.

PRlady

Believe it or not it’s quite possible. Netanyahu hasn’t been able to get the five-seat, right wing but secular Russian party to agree to join the coalition without passing legislation to draft more ultra-Orthodox, who are also in coalition.

The many political journalists I know are taking it seriously. And wan to quit their jobs. :lol:

PRlady

Would the results of a new election be any different?
Could be. Could be MORE right wing - there were votes for two right parties in the last one that didn’t count because the parties didn’t reach the threshold. The Russian holdout, Liberman, could get more seats for standing up to the ultra-Orthodox who are unpopular. The center left could do a broader-based coalition and include the Jewish-Arab Hadash party; more Arabs voting could put that coalition over the top.

No one wants new elections because the results are a crapshoot.

MsZem

2/3/2020.
Should we start the 2020 edition thread?
Let's wait until it's 100% official, even though at this point it does look like we're headed there.

I'm sure the third election will resolve everything.

PRlady

Let's wait until it's 100% official, even though at this point it does look like we're headed there.

I'm sure the third election will resolve everything.
By great good fortune, my husband has to testify in court cases in Jerusalem on March 1 and 4, and it looks like the next election will be right in the middle, so he gets to vote again! The early polls are showing losses for Netanyahu's Likud, but I wouldn't take bets he'll still be the head of the party in three months. It's becoming obvious even to the True Believers that he's the liability, put a new (even more right-wing) guy in instead of him, and voila, another Likud-led government.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Am sure there will be a short victoriois war in Februaru which will convince everyone what an amazing leader Netaniyahu is...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information