International Olympic Committee urges sports bodies to cancel events in Russia, Belarus

Elka

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Man, some posters really can't accept they won't see their Russian favourites at worlds. It's actually kinda sad.

But if Russia were to appeal to CAS, they'd keep that court locked up for awhile over the MULTIPLE sports that have taken a stand. Navka or no Navka, you can't tell me skating is a bigger draw than hockey & soccer. :lol:

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Tennis (ITF/ATP/WTA) update here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-sports-worldwide.109484/page-4#post-6222577

“Elina Svitolina, Dayana Yastremska, Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev and Sergiy Stakhovsky have all spoken out about Russia's invasion of Ukraine. World No. 12 Svitolina says she is "heartbroken" by the events in her home country while Yastremska has fled Ukraine with her sister. Stakhovsky has revealed that he is willing to take up arms and fight the Russians.” VIDEO:

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Associated Press’ article today (March 1):
Russia was barred from competing in international ice skating, skiing, basketball, track, and some tennis events Tuesday, a day after being kicked out of soccer competitions and hockey — Vladimir Putin’s favorite team sport. The decisions follow the IOC’s request to international sports federations to keep Russian athletes out of events they organize.
The sports restrictions have drawn sharp criticism from Russia.
“Our country has always adhered to the principle that sport is beyond politics, but we are constantly drawn into the politics, because they understand the importance of sport in the lives of our Russian people,” Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Chernyshenko, who was stripped of an IOC honor for organizing the 2014 Sochi Olympics, said Tuesday at a Sports Ministry meeting.

caseyedwards

Well it’s not totally unprecedented! There is South Africa but I do remember South African tennis players

mackiecat

Ok, lets see. Nikita Katsalapov serves in the army now. russian army pays him regularly. So, it's ok if russian soldier will dance happily on the French ice. Then he will return home and will get another medal from russian army. He already has one medal - For military prowess (I hope its right translation). And now his comrades are killing people in Ukraine.
So how in the hell it's just a political decision? This skaters must do at least something!!!
Right why would an allied country allow a soldier from the invading country into their country. Is this not a security risk? I know this is a figure skating team but really by letting a Russian sports team into your country could be allowing a potential enemy group into your country where they would be free to do “anything”

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Well, Akopova/Rakhmanin just won Challenge Cup yesterday in the Netherlands, so they could, presumably, remain in western Europe for a few weeks. There are trains between St Petersburg and Helsinki still running. Additionally, they could fly to Istanbul and get a non-Russian airline flight from there to France.
She wrote in English that they finally made it back home: https://www.instagram.com/p/Caj-yzToMee/

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
The International Fencing Federation has forced Russian oligarch Alisher Usmanov (Viner's husband) out as its President -

skatingguy

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. That sounds awful. Where is this statement?
That is tone deaf to say the least.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member

Vagabond

NPR Article: https://www.npr.org/live-updates/ru...e-banned-from-this-months-world-championships

"Responding to the move, the Russian Figure Skating Federation said it is extremely disappointed, adding that it sees the ban as another sign of politics' influence in sports. It also complained that Russian athletes are suffering — but when the IOC issued its statement on Monday, it addressed that point by noting that Ukrainian athletes were also being sidetracked."
What NPR didn't say was that Sen. Susan Collins (R-Me.) wrote the press release.

:EVILLE:

Asli

Yuri Larionov posted a letter Z in his instagram. Russia marked tanks, aircraft, artillery and other military assets with letter Z and attacked Ukraine. So he fully supports russian army in Ukraine
What does the letter Z mean?

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
:(
At a news conference in Beijing hours after the decision, a reporter who said he worked for the Kyiv Post asked IPC president Andrew Parsons what he would say to the family of young biathlete Yevhen Malyshev.
Malyshev was killed this week in Ukraine, but the exact circumstances of his death are unclear. The International Biathlon Union said Wednesday he "died this week serving in the Ukrainian military."
The Kyiv Post reporter held up the young man's photograph as he questioned Parsons.
"I cannot even start to imagine the pain that his family is feeling at the moment," Parsons said. "I can only tell them that my deepest thoughts are with them. This is absolutely not fair. It is disgusting. It is against humanity."

Karen-W

Fox News just reported that there are unconfirmed reports the IPC has reversed the decision to allow Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete in the Paralympics. More to come...

Karen-W

Confirmed - they reversed course.

“In the last 12 hours an overwhelming number of members have been in touch with us and been very open, for which I am grateful. They have told us that if we do not reconsider our decision, it is now likely to have grave consequences for the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Winter Games. Multiple NPCs, some of which have been contacted by their governments, teams and athletes, are threatening not to compete.

“Ensuring the safety and security of athletes is of paramount importance to us and the situation in the athlete villages is escalating and has now become untenable. First and foremost, we have a duty as part of the Paralympic mission, enshrined in the constitution, to guarantee and supervise the organisation of successful Paralympic Games, to ensure that in sport practiced within the Paralympic Movement the spirit of fair play prevails, violence is banned, the health risk of the athletes is managed and fundamental ethical principles are upheld.

“With this in mind, and in order to preserve the integrity of these Games and the safety of all participants, we have decided to refuse the athlete entries from RPC and NPC Belarus.

“To the Para athletes from the impacted countries, we are very sorry that you are affected by the decisions your governments took last week in breaching the Olympic Truce. You are victims of your governments’ actions."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information