Intermittent fasting and other dieting trends

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

I'm on Day 3 of IF. Doing the 16/8 thing. Does this get better? Because everyone said that I'd feel so sharp and wonderful while fasting, and I feel tired, weak and cranky. I'm not craving carbs less ... I'm craving them more. Everyone at work is doing it so I feel almost embarrassed to drop out but it's not fun going to bed hungry and waking up hungry. I've tried sipping on black coffee and drinking water to fight off the hunger but I'm just not feeling "detoxed."

Fitness goals: I hurt my ankle very badly while running in September and gained about 10 pounds I want to lose. I'm 5'4" and about 127 pounds right now.

mag

@canbelto intermittent fasting (what we all used to call skipping breakfast ;) ) works well for some people and not for others. Trying to lose weight sucks and is hard so don’t be too hard on yourself. It is important to know that you do not need “detoxing.” Your liver and kidneys take care of that for you so I guarantee you have no toxins to get rid off. The thing with weight loss is it all comes down to being in a calorie deficit. The tricky bit is how you get to that deficit and what works for one person may not work for another. There is a great guy I follow on Facebook who is really science based and knowledgeable - James Fell. His Facebook page is James Fell Body for Wife. He has written some great books as well.

Also remember that people lie like sidewalks. I would say new parents (lying about their children) and people on group diets (lying about how much they eat and how much weight they have lost) are probably up near the top of the liars list. It is possible there are others at your work who feel just like you but don’t want to admit it.

canbelto

@canbelto intermittent fasting (what we all used to call skipping breakfast ;) ) works well for some people and not for others. Trying to lose weight sucks and is hard so don’t be too hard on yourself. It is important to know that you do not need “detoxing.” Your liver and kidneys take care of that for you so I guarantee you have no toxins to get rid off. The thing with weight loss is it all comes down to being in a calorie deficit. The tricky bit is how you get to that deficit and what works for one person may not work for another. There is a great guy I follow on Facebook who is really science based and knowledgeable - James Fell. His Facebook page is James Fell Body for Wife. He has written some great books as well.

Also remember that people lie like sidewalks. I would say new parents (lying about their children) and people on group diets (lying about how much they eat and how much weight they have lost) are probably up near the top of the liars list. It is possible there are others at your work who feel just like you but don’t want to admit it.

One thing that shocks me is that I work in a school with very active kids and people at work tell me that after a week of fasting "you don't even want food." I actually am dying every morning seeing the kids eat their bagels and juice and me sucking on black coffee.

By 10 am I absolutely can't take it anymore so I break my fast. But unfortunately I'm busy for the rest of the day which means my window to eat is only 6 pm and it's absolutely miserable coming home and trying to cram down some food within the window. And then going to bed hungry and waking up hungry.

mag

One thing that shocks me is that I work in a school with very active kids and people at work tell me that after a week of fasting "you don't even want food." I actually am dying every morning seeing the kids eat their bagels and juice and me sucking on black coffee.

By 10 am I absolutely can't take it anymore so I break my fast. But unfortunately I'm busy for the rest of the day which means my window to eat is only 6 pm and it's absolutely miserable coming home and trying to cram down some food within the window. And then going to bed hungry and waking up hungry.

This is clearly not the diet for you. The research shows that the diets that work are the ones that are sustainable. Don’t beat yourself up if you decide to stop.

mag

I feel so weak not being able to do this ...

He says 16 hours is the absolute minimum. I want to eventually be like him and get up to 36 hours.

That website is scary. Intermittent Fasting will allow you to lose weight if it puts you in a calorie deficit. If you eat too much during the 8 hour window you will gain weight. It is not some magical fat burning system. The laws of physics do apply. The fact that he does not mention that is how it works makes me very skeptical. Food is not a competitive sport. You don’t need to be “strong.”

I really think you need to look for some more science based sources. Dr Joe does not appear to have a healthy attitude towards food.

Polaris

I'm on Day 3 of IF. Doing the 16/8 thing. Does this get better? Because everyone said that I'd feel so sharp and wonderful while fasting, and I feel tired, weak and cranky. I'm not craving carbs less ... I'm craving them more. Everyone at work is doing it so I feel almost embarrassed to drop out but it's not fun going to bed hungry and waking up hungry. I've tried sipping on black coffee and drinking water to fight off the hunger but I'm just not feeling "detoxed."

Fitness goals: I hurt my ankle very badly while running in September and gained about 10 pounds I want to lose. I'm 5'4" and about 127 pounds right now.

I have similar stats to you, and do 16/8 and am finding it manageable. I feared I would be hangry all the time, but I'm not. Are you eating the right balance of foods?

Also, at the end of the day it's calories in, calories out. 16/8 has helped me by cutting down on my late night snacking.

canbelto

I have similar stats to you, and do 16/8 and am finding it manageable. I feared I would be hangry all the time, but I'm not. Are you eating the right balance of foods?

Also, at the end of the day it's calories in, calories out. 16/8 has helped me by cutting down on my late night snacking.

I don't think I am, just because I'm so busy during the time window to eat. I'm trying. But as I said, it's only day 3. Maybe it will get better after a week or 2.

Polaris

@canbelto What's your window? Mine is 10-6. I eat regularly during that timeframe and am often decently full by 6 that I don't feel ravenously hungry until the next day. Also, if it helps - women don't need to do full 16 hours and 13-15 is recommended. Forgot where I read that.

canbelto

@canbelto What's your window? Mine is 10-6. I eat regularly during that timeframe and am often decently full by 6 that I don't feel ravenously hungry until the next day. Also, if it helps - women don't need to do full 16 hours and 13-15 is recommended. Forgot where I read that.

10-6 is my window.

canbelto

How many calories are you consuming in those hours and what kinds of food are you eating?

I'm eating exactly the way I normally eat. Fruit and yogurt to break the fast, a sandwich for lunch, a light dinner with rice and some meat and lots of vegetables. The only thing I'm cutting is snacking. Since I know snacking is a compulsion I've decided to cut all snacks even during the eating window. I never am a big eater. I also decided to ban things like ice cream, cookies and cake.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The regimen I'm on now (I won't call it a diet) is something I should have done years ago. The dr who recommended it mentioned both intermittent fasting or low carb, my choice. DH & I are eating only 50 grams of carbs a day but loads of meat & vegetables. We started on Jan 26 & I've lost 9 pounds so far.

I'm using the free online food diary MyFitnessPal so I can watch my calories too. I never go to bed hungry. I've made up a bunch of new menus & tried some vegetables I've never or rarely tried. Tonight we had a carrot & parsnip bake & we both liked it. I've never eaten parsnip in my life before.

@canbelto, your friends at work won't know if you quit IF & do something different. The goal isn't or shouldn't be to just lose those pounds, it's also to find what works for you long term. I've had an eating disorder for years & for the 1st time I can eat a meal without stressing or hating myself about what I put in my mouth.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I don't know if anyone here has tried 5:2 (2 days a week of reduce calorie intake) but I found that was pretty easy to manage. You keep your calorie intake on those days to about 500. You can still eat very well but just watching what you eat.

Part of our problem with society is we are so used to eating we don't like to be hungry. But if you lived in nature you would probably be hungry most of the time.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I'm eating exactly the way I normally eat. Fruit and yogurt to break the fast, a sandwich for lunch, a light dinner with rice and some meat and lots of vegetables. The only thing I'm cutting is snacking. Since I know snacking is a compulsion I've decided to cut all snacks even during the eating window. I never am a big eater. I also decided to ban things like ice cream, cookies and cake.
Restricting calories alone paired with IF is neither a recipe for feeling good nor losing weight. IF works best, and you won’t feel hungry, if you’re following a ketogenic diet INCLUDING maintaining proper macronutrients. That means, based approximately on the stats you’ve shared, getting at least 50 grams of protein, 100 grams of fat, and under 25 grams of net carbs every day in your eating window. You’d consume at least 1.3k calories with that plan.

The biggest mistake I see people make with IF and keto is neglect the importance of protein and fat.

canbelto

Restricting calories alone paired with IF is neither a recipe for feeling good nor losing weight. IF works best, and you won’t feel hungry, if you’re following a ketogenic diet INCLUDING maintaining proper macronutrients. That means, based approximately on the stats you’ve shared, getting at least 50 grams of protein, 100 grams of fat, and under 25 grams of net carbs every day in your eating window. You’d consume at least 1.3k calories with that plan.

The biggest mistake I see people make with IF and keto is neglect the importance of protein and fat.

See I try to restrict carbs. But then I crave them. Like even a bagel or a bowl of rice is so many carbs. I can't even have an apple or orange if I tried keto. I just get so mad that I was in such great shape and one bad turn of the ankle and I haven't been able to run for months.

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
You’d consume at least 1.3k calories with that plan.

I don't do IF, but I belong to a low-carb board where a lot of people do, and this is something I see over and over in discussions of IF--people who get sick doing IF (and keto) because they are also trying to restrict calories and/or fat to lose weight faster. If you eat fats and proteins, you will feel full longer. If you eat enough calories, your energy will hold up better.

Peaches LaTour

I lost 15 pounds two years ago & I fluctuate about 3 pounds on that weight on occasion.

I lost weight by cutting out all sweets, strictly limiting bread impact, no alcohol. I also stopped eating or drinking anything except water after 8pm. I ate small portions during the day & went back to salads without dressing.

I actually use tablespoon of blackstrap molasses occassionally as a sweet craving cause it is sweet & tasty & good for you.

I also committed myself to one hour a day of walking.

Good luck with your efforts.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I lost 15 pounds two years ago & I fluctuate about 3 pounds on that weight on occasion.

I lost weight by cutting out all sweets, strictly limiting bread impact, no alcohol. I also stopped eating or drinking anything except water after 8pm. I ate small portions during the day & went back to salads without dressing. I actually use a bit of blackstrap molasses as dressing cause it is sweet & tasty & good for you.

I also committed myself to one hour a day of waking.

Good luck with your efforts.

The Hibernation Diet (TM). Makes me think of "the sleep cure" for weight loss that Jennifer North underwent in the novel of "Valley of the Dolls". 🛌

Yes, I know that you meant "walking". :)

Rob

Beach Bum
Has anyone had success on weight watchers? I’m thinking of doing something slow and steady to lose the baby weight...
My friend and I started Shakeology in Jan 2018. She followed WW, I followed low carb portion control. She lost 100 lbs in less time than I lost 58. She is 4 in. shorter than I am, but started about the same weight. I’d say it works! For her anyway.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm 5"4" and my doctor tells me 130 is not healthy. I personally think trying to drop to 117 is very unhealthy.

Aus Heart Foundation's BMI calculator says 117 would put canbelto at 19.9 BMI, which is still in the healthy range but on the low side.

I feel so weak not being able to do this ...

He says 16 hours is the absolute minimum. I want to eventually be like him and get up to 36 hours.
That website is scary. Intermittent Fasting will allow you to lose weight if it puts you in a calorie deficit. If you eat too much during the 8 hour window you will gain weight. It is not some magical fat burning system. The laws of physics do apply. The fact that he does not mention that is how it works makes me very skeptical. Food is not a competitive sport. You don’t need to be “strong.”

I really think you need to look for some more science based sources. Dr Joe does not appear to have a healthy attitude towards food.

@canbelto, have you previously spoken with a dietician/nutritionist/any kind of medical professional about your clearly unhealthy and disordered thinking towards food?

Because between some of the things posted in this thread, and your incredibly unhealthy attitude in other threads regarding eating around other people, frankly, you're scaring me a bit.

canbelto

@canbelto, have you previously spoken with a dietician/nutritionist/any kind of medical professional about your clearly unhealthy and disordered thinking towards food?

Because between some of the things posted in this thread, and your incredibly unhealthy attitude in other threads regarding eating around other people, frankly, you're scaring me a bit.

Oh god not this again. I don't need a therapist I need to stop being fat.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Has anyone had success on weight watchers? I’m thinking of doing something slow and steady to lose the baby weight...
Yes ive lost 25lb an my friend 50lb. Im on the blue program and find it easy and sustainable as so many foods you can have that have zero points including eggs chicken seafood, fruit and veg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information