Insurrectionists and subversives: Trump and his supporters (Thread for all things Trump)

Japanfan

I agree. Teaching the people all whites are inherently racist turns every complaint, criticism, even ordinary potential rudeness a white person makes toward a minority a racial attack and is asking for violence

Alternatively, it encourages white people to look at their own racism. Most people are racist, even unconsciously.

I have personal experience of that myself. I grew up in a northern Canadian and mining town. There was a reserve close to town. First Nations people would come into town. They had their own coffee shop that whites didn't go to. They had their own section at the back of the two town bars. On welfare day, they would splurge on KFC (not many food choices in the town). Sometimes First Nations people would wrestle on the sidewalks outside the bar. Sometimes they would steal perfume from my dad's drug store - he was kind in that he never called the cops on them. And they made beautiful souveniers for his store - suede the name of the two beaded on top, and little mukluks hanging from them (lots of tourists came to town in the summer for fishing).

I assume there was a residential school nearby, because First Nations did not attend our school. I remember one native-looking person who came to our school, and being so shocked. I can still see him, sitting in the back corner of class, looking so very uncomfortable.

In any case, this was before knowledge of residential schools and the harms of the Indian Act had become public knowledge. For the most part we just accepted the way things were. We didn't wonder where the First Nations lived, or how they lived, or think about their welfare. Or question why they had such problems with alcohol.

Racism can operate blindly in such a context. The status quo is thus maintained, and no one questions it.

Last edited:

canbelto

Ok this is something I've noticed in the MAGAs I follow on FB: they have a lot of pictures of Trump that are either photoshopped or deepfakes. Trump in those pictures is about 100 pounds lighter, his suits fit him, his face is not orange but a nice tan glow. Is that what they see or what they want to see?

Amy L

Ok this is something I've noticed in the MAGAs I follow on FB: they have a lot of pictures of Trump that are either photoshopped or deepfakes. Trump in those pictures is about 100 pounds lighter, his suits fit him, his face is not orange but a nice tan glow. Is that what they see or what they want to see?

I saw a piece of "art" at a frame store that portrayed T---- praying in a baseball stadium. Praying? Baseball? Why? Is a baseball diamond the most Christian and Ammurrrrrrrican symbolism the artist could think of? Who the fck knows. How people see him is bizarre and I doubt it's actually about him at all.

Though I do live in a town where several homes have homemade decorations of Santa Claus praying at the manger.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

A far right militia group of about 25 Californians who call themselves the Grizzly Scouts constructed a plan to declare war on police and attempt to cast the blame on antifa or BLM. A member, Air Force Sgt. Steven Carrillo, killed a federal officer and a Santa Cruz sheriff about a year ago. Originally it sounded like a lone wolf, but it was part of a group plot.

He and some other members were arrested and details have come out in the court filings. 3 were let free on bail as no threat to the community.

But Grizzly Scouts? The Berenstain Bears kill cops?

demetriosj

Alternatively, it encourages white people to look at their own racism. Most people are racist, even unconsciously.

I have personal experience of that myself. I grew up in a northern Canadian and mining town. There was a reserve close to town. First Nations people would come into town. They had their own coffee shop that whites didn't go to. They had their own section at the back of the two town bars. On welfare day, they would splurge on KFC (not many food choices in the town). Sometimes First Nations people would wrestle on the sidewalks outside the bar. Sometimes they would steal perfume from my dad's drug store - he was kind in that he never called the cops on them. And they made beautiful souveniers for his store - suede the name of the two beaded on top, and little mukluks hanging from them (lots of tourists came to town in the summer for fishing).

I assume there was a residential school nearby, because First Nations did not attend our school. I remember one native-looking person who came to our school, and being so shocked. I can still see him, sitting in the back corner of class, looking so very uncomfortable.

In any case, this was before knowledge of residential schools and the harms of the Indian Act had become public knowledge. For the most part we just accepted the way things were. We didn't wonder where the First Nations lived, or how they lived, or think about their welfare. Or question why they had such problems with alcohol.

Racism can operate blindly in such a context. The status quo is thus maintained, and no one questions it.

With all due respect, this has nothing to do with a 21 year old Amazon driver in 2021 punching a 67 year old woman in the face 10 times and referring to her "white privilege". The culprit should be charged with a hate crime, in addition to all the other charges.

skatemomaz

Resist
With all due respect, this has nothing to do with a 21 year old Amazon driver in 2021 punching a 67 year old woman in the face 10 times and referring to her "white privilege". The culprit should be charged with a hate crime, in addition to all the other charges.
:rolleyes: This has nothing to do with critical race theory which does not promote violence or hatred. Your example is flat out criminal behavior.

demetriosj

:rolleyes: This has nothing to do with critical race theory which does not promote violence or hatred. Your example is flat out criminal behavior.
[/QUOTE

Really? Then what makes a hate crime a hate crime? If the situation was reversed, you would be calling it a hate crime.

Critical race theory teaches that whites are born racist. What a sick, nihilistic philosophy. When perps like Itzel the Amazon driver hear this crap over and over and over again they feel it's ok to punch a 67 year old white lady in the face ten times because whites are inherently racist and evil and have "white privilege". And where is the pushback from people of power who should be calming this crap down? There is none. As a matter of fact, Ole Joe is repeating the bull about systemic racism, etc.

skatemomaz

Resist
Really? Then what makes a hate crime a hate crime? If the situation was reversed, you would be calling it a hate crime.

Critical race theory teaches that whites are born racist. What a sick, nihilistic philosophy. When perps like Itzel the Amazon driver hear this crap over and over and over again they feel it's ok to punch a 67 year old white lady in the face ten times because whites are inherently racist and evil and have "white privilege". And where is the pushback from people of power who should be calming this crap down? There is none. As a matter of fact, Ole Joe is repeating the bull about systemic racism, etc.
Bold mine, no it doesn't teach that whites are born racist. Try researching a little and no your tinfoil hat conspiracy pushers from Faux New, OAN and Newsmax don't count. https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory
Critical race theory (CRT), intellectual movement and loosely organized framework of legal analysis based on the premise that race is not a natural, biologically grounded feature of physically distinct subgroups of human beings but a socially constructed (culturally invented) category that is used to oppress and exploit people of colour. Critical race theorists hold that the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans.

What the Amazon driver did may or may not be a hate crime. I don't know all the facts and neither do you. It likely was criminal and I see no excuse for her behavior.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Meanwhile, rightwing populists are using the term "critical race theory" to refer to any discussion of racism so most of what they are talking about isn't critical race theory anyway.

The rightwing in some states is now trying to ban the discussion of racism in classrooms. They are waving around the term Critical Race Theory to get people to buy into their latest authoritarian move. And then the parrots who pick up their words and repeat them tell us that talking about racism is Marxism and Marxism is about banning discussion of topics in schools and so forth and so on :rolleyes:

Sparks

Exactly. Talking about racism and acknowledging it it so much worse than the actual racism.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
CRT is about how racism is built into our cultural/judicial/political structures and institutions.
As BR said,

What gets me about the whole thing is that the rightwing populists trying to stir people up say its about demonizing individuals as racists, when talking about systemic racism whether in the context of CRT or elsewhere is about the larger social and institutional context. It is not about demonizing and dividing individuals, quite the opposite, it is educating ourselves so that together we can dismantle these structures which undermine fairness and equal opportunity in our society. Given that as Americans we pledge to uphold "liberty and justice for all" it is a very American project that seeks to make our country better for all of us.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I find it ironic that those who are racists
  • are the first to complain about political correctness
  • are the first to say they are being cancelled
  • justify their perceptions and opinions as facts
  • gaslight and project onto everyone else their racist attitude
  • point the finger at other groups to demonstrate their racism
and so on ....

Our regular troll's first line continues to grasp at straws to try and show those "on the left" are just as bad if not worse than those on the right by picking examples that don't even demonstrate what they are trying to point out just because the people involved were of a certain race but there is no evidence they are race based attacks. No-one here apart from the troll are buying it.

caseyedwards

Exactly what "structures" do you want to "dismantle"?
Great question! What element of America is so racist it needs to be abolished? Teaching CRT is exactly like teaching white privilege. It is teaching people to hate white people because they are benefitting from their race and also hate all organizations that have largely been run by white people. Because a white run organization enforces white privilege and oppresses Minorities and is white Supremacy. There is no white privilege

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Of course there is white privilege.

And male privilege.

And Christian privilege

When a country and its laws are created by well to do white men, what do you expect other than a government that works best for well to do white men?

This is not the fault of random white people; it is just how things work.

A Canadian politician had the best description of this sort of situation:

Mouseland speech by Tommy Douglas:

Curiously, every four years these mice would go to the polls and elect a government … of cats. Unsurprisingly, these cats passed “laws that were good for cats,” while the plight of mice got continually worse. In response, the mice tried electing different types of cats—black, white, half-and-half, cats with spots. The speech crescendos as Douglas explains, “You see my friends, the trouble wasn’t the color of the cat. They trouble was that they were cats.”

We need to realize that the problems are racist policies, racist ideas, which lead to racist behaviors.

This does not involve teaching hatred of any sort.

Ibram X. Kendi:

To be antiracist is to think nothing is behaviorally wrong or right- inferior or superior- with any of the racial groups. Whenever the antiracist sees individuals behaving positively or negatively, the antiracist sees exactly that: individuals behaving positively or {not} , not representatives of whole races. To be antiracist is to deracialize behavior, to remove the tattooed stereotype from every racialized body. Behavior is something humans do, not races do.

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team

This is where racist, anti-white "Critical Race Theory" is leading:​

How is this connected incident connected to Critical Race Theory? Critical Race Theory is about the practice of racism in institutions & policy & practice, not the actions of individuals.

demetriosj

Critical Race Theory is about the practice of racism in institutions & policy & practice, not the actions of individuals.

Yah, yah. And it preaches about "white privilege", which is what the lunatic Amazon driver was accusing the white women of, while punching her ten times in the face.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Yah, yah. And it preaches about "white privilege", which is what the lunatic Amazon driver was accusing the white women of, while punching her ten times in the face.
I'm not sure how a theory 'preaches' anything, or how someone using the words 'white privilege' incorrectly prove anything? Has the Amazon driver studied Critical Race Theory, presented papers on it, or been involved in the research into it in some way that demonstrates that the theory played any role in the altercation?

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
No, CRT doesn't say that. One of the most popular books on anti racism is the one I quoted from above, How to be an anti racist by Ibram X. Kendi. Try reading it. You do not have to take anyone's opinion on what it says. Read it for yourself.

It recognizes that all people have biases.

And it is about opposing racist ideas and racist policies, not about blaming a whole group for the actions of a few members of the group.

demetriosj

No, CRT doesn't say that. One of the most popular books on anti racism is the one I quoted from above, How to be an anti racist by Ibram X. Kendi. Try reading it. You do not have to take anyone's opinion on what it says. Read it for yourself.

It recognizes that all people have biases.

And it is about opposing racist ideas and racist policies, not about blaming a whole group for the actions of a few members of the group.

Does the author say that people of color can be racist?

skatingguy

Golden Team
That’s reaching.
That's the reality for many people who live in poverty, particularly in rural areas. Heck, I'm not poor & I don't have photo ID because I don't own a car, so I don't have driver's license, and I'm not planing on international travel so I don't have a passport either.
Does the author say that people of color can be racist?
I don't know how the author defines racism, but generally a definition of racism includes a reference to power within the society in question. In some definitions individuals belonging to the dominant group can be racist, and individuals belonging to subdominant groups cannot. Individuals in the subdominant group are capable of being bigots, and racism is a form of bigotry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information