Insurrectionists and subversives: Trump and his supporters (Thread for all things Trump)

caseyedwards

Thomas Friedman is very pessimistic about our situation: Trump's Big Lie Devoured the GOP and Now Eyes Our Democracy (NY Times)

He believes that nothing can be done from outside the Republican Party to change the trajectory; it must come from inside.

And for those who are moderate and don't like the trajectory of the Democratic Party on policy he has this to say:
The Never Trumpers are off to the races on her. (Since yesterday).

They're hoping she'll run as a third-party candidate. I'm assuming they're hoping she has enough name value and enough support within the party to give them someone they can support that is policy-wise a Republican and meets their one overarching criteria--NOT being Trump.

It is ironic to me that Cheney would be considered a saleable name, as to me, it's synonymous with a log of negative baggage. But it's a name & she's not Trump. The bar is not high here.

No one prevented Romney from running against Trump in 2020 or in 2024. So he can easily not be a coward like he was In 2020! Same thing with Cheney Kinzinger Kasich hogan etc etc etc

They need to run so Republican voters have a choice.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Liz Cheney in her own words in the Washington Post:

I am a conservative Republican, and the most conservative of conservative values is reverence for the rule of law. Each of us swears an oath before God to uphold our Constitution. The electoral college has spoken. More than 60 state and federal courts, including multiple Trump-appointed judges, have rejected the former president’s arguments, and refused to overturn election results. That is the rule of law; that is our constitutional system for resolving claims of election fraud.

The question before us now is whether we will join Trump’s crusade to delegitimize and undo the legal outcome of the 2020 election, with all the consequences that might have. I have worked overseas in nations where changes in leadership come only with violence, where democracy takes hold only until the next violent upheaval. America is exceptional because our constitutional system guards against that. At the heart of our republic is a commitment to the peaceful transfer of power among political rivals in accordance with law. President Ronald Reagan described this as our American “miracle.”

While embracing or ignoring Trump’s statements might seem attractive to some for fundraising and political purposes, that approach will do profound long-term damage to our party and our country. Trump has never expressed remorse or regret for the attack of Jan. 6 and now suggests that our elections, and our legal and constitutional system, cannot be trusted to do the will of the people. This is immensely harmful, especially as we now compete on the world stage against Communist China and its claims that democracy is a failed system.

That last sentence is very important. The choice the Republican Party is making is actually whether to continue to uphold US democracy or to join with the authoritarian forces that seek to portray democracy as a system that cannot work in the 21st Century.

I don't agree with any of Liz Cheney's policy choices. So why do I want to see her succeed in this? Why do we need a right of center party at all? Because democracy cannot exist without competing viewpoints represented by competing parties--parties which compete while agreeing on the fundamentals of the constitutional system. We are very close to no longer having this as the Republican Party slips into authoritarianism because so few will break with Trump.

caseyedwards

But there is no disagreement with Trump. Georgia republicans Texas republicans Arizona republicans all Republicans everywhere are saying no to unlimited drop boxes usage and no to unlimited unsolicited absentee ballots and a total embrace of all absentee ballots needed photo id verification.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
But there is no disagreement with Trump. Georgia republicans Texas republicans Arizona republicans all Republicans everywhere are saying no to unlimited drop boxes usage and no to unlimited unsolicited absentee ballots and a total embrace of all absentee ballots needed photo id verification.
Not entirely. :lol:

The GOP convention is having trouble following their own voting id rules. People are not getting voter id numbers and signatures in the right blocks, and so the party is waiving the requirements.

canbelto

Trump has a blog:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Trump has a blog:

The ironic thing about the blog is it has links to Twitter and Facebook on it above the heart. :)

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The one to Twitter says:

Hmm...this page doesn’t exist. Try searching for something else.

That's my favorite part.
I like this one from one of his blog posts. Isn't Biden the President? :)

Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth,
I really want to see some hackers take to it.

ballettmaus

I don't agree with any of Liz Cheney's policy choices. So why do I want to see her succeed in this? Why do we need a right of center party at all? Because democracy cannot exist without competing viewpoints represented by competing parties--parties which compete while agreeing on the fundamentals of the constitutional system. We are very close to no longer having this as the Republican Party slips into authoritarianism because so few will break with Trump.
Agreed. And it's why I was so critical of Pelosi when she was resisting calls for impeachment after midterms and believed that all we needed to was defeat Trump at the ballot box. Granted, I thought that a number of Republicans would go back to being Obama-time Republicans but it was never going to be enough and the threat of Trump wouldn't just go away. The longer he stayed in power, the more damage he could do and the more time he had to establish himself and what he stands for. (It's also why I said that we didn't have time. It had nothing to do with the US becoming an authoritarian state overnight and everything to do the damage he could do and how established he could get. Authoritarianism is a contradiction: it creeps up on you and the changes happen slowly but there's only a short window of time when one can act successfully. I think we were lucky that we had people who resisted at least a little in certain positions at the beginning. That, combined with the Mueller investigation, bought us two years).

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I like this one from one of his blog posts. Isn't Biden the President? :)

Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth,
I really want to see some hackers take to it.
Which is why I tweeted that the statement wasn’t true. Biden can speak anytime and anywhere he wants.

Vagabond

Giuliani is having to do some belt-tightening.
Giuliani has enlisted a part-time driver, Eric Ryan, the son of his friend Maria Ryan, according to one of the people familiar with the matter. But he no longer moves around Manhattan with the full complement of as many as five people he has kept around him in recent years. (Ryan didn’t respond to a request for comment.)
If horror stories like that don't get Trump to help pay Giuliani's legal bills, nothing will.

Vagabond

Vagabond

More from Team Giuliani:

One of the most vocal is Giuliani's son Andrew, who worked in the Trump White House and told CNN,"The nut may crack in the next 36 hours." He called on Trump to "take the lead on this one," adding: "He can be the hero."

"Once President Trump actually understands that his lead counsel was not indemnified, he's going to resolve this very quickly," Andrew Giuliani said on Wednesday.

Andrew Giuliani said his father was reimbursed for travel-related expenses incurred after the 2020 election, when he visited Arizona and other states to argue election fraud lawsuits in court. He said his father has not, however, been paid for legal services.
BRIBERTY AND LEIS! :bribe: :skandal :drama:

But whom is Andrew Giuliani calling a nut? His father, or Donald Trump? :unsure:

:watch:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Interesting tidbit, according to a friend of hers, Liz Cheney was the one who organized the op-ed by ten former Defense Secys warning about the possibility of a coup on January 3:

Cheney’s rupture with the House Republican Conference has become all but final in recent days, but it has been months in the making. Edelman revealed that Cheney herself secretly orchestrated an unprecedented op-ed in the Washington Post by all ten living former Defense Secretaries, including her father, warning against Trump’s efforts to politicize the military. The congresswoman not only recruited her father but personally asked others, including Trump’s first Defense Secretary, Jim Mattis, to participate. “She was the one who generated it, because she was so worried about what Trump might do,” Edelman said. “It speaks to the degree that she was concerned about the threat to our democracy that Trump represented.” The Post op-ed appeared on January 3rd, just three days before the insurrection at the Capitol.

MacMadame

Staying at home
More from Team Giuliani:

Do these people even know Donald Trump? He's not going to stick his neck out for anyone and he's certainly not going to part with his money.

Vagabond

Do these people even know Donald Trump? He's not going to stick his neck out for anyone and he's certainly not going to part with his money.
Apparently not. I assumed that Rudy Giuliani knew well enough to demand a retainer upfront and cease work if it was not replenished, but I seem to have overestimated him. 🤷‍♂️

I do wonder how close he is to cutting a deal with prosecutors.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Apparently not. I assumed that Rudy Giuliani knew well enough to demand a retainer upfront and cease work if it was not replenished, but I seem to have overestimated him. 🤷‍♂️

I do wonder how close he is to cutting a deal with prosecutors.
Rudy was in the midst of a contentious divorce with his 3rd wife Judith in 2018, and one point that she was shrieking about was him claiming he was working for Trump "unpaid."

Dobre

He'll stick his neck out for himself. If Giuliani has enough evidence on Trump to trade in exchange for his own neck, then Trump might help Giuliani in order to save his own neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information