Insurrectionists and subversives: Trump and his supporters (Thread for all things Trump)

caseyedwards

Waters is total garbage. She raises money for her campaign and then gives it to her husband who is a “consultant” and then buys mansions

I also think she is garbage because of reclaiming my time. It was a horribly bad invention of Congresspeople to start interrupting witnesses as “taking their time” when that is a parliamentary rule designed for congresspeople! A witness doesn’t take a congresspersons time. They are not yielded time.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

If a witness tries to run out the clock on a congress person's 5 minutes of interview time by babbling on in a non-responsive way then yes, it is absolutely the right of the interviewer to shut the person off and stop the clock.
The clock is not stopped. They are pretending it is. It’s all pretend and wrong. the whole reclaiming my time thing is just a way to avoid saying “shut up you are taking my five minutes”

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Ted Nugent, Trumpist, ********* denier, anti-vaxxer, and pedophile,

is having a tough bout with YKW...

He still won't get the vaccine :(

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
He still won't get the vaccine :(
The Washington Post has an article right now about how Trumpists (they refer to them as "Republicans") are becoming more resistant to getting the vaccine.

So we have to tiptoe and be nice to them lest they ruin the recovery from ********* for all of us. :rolleyes:

My feeling about that? F*ck them. They aren't going to hold the rest of us hostage any more.

I don't think being nice works. Just tell them we don't care about them and they don't matter and so what about their need to cling to their perverse idea of a political identity by not getting vaccinated. Bunch of jerks.

MacMadame

Staying at home
My feeling about that? F*ck them. They aren't going to hold the rest of us hostage any more.
That's my answer too. I'm going to get vaccinated and live my life and if they don't and happen to end up sick and possibly even dead, well, that was their choice and they are adults.

The only problem with this is that their actions do impact other people including us. If enough people don't get vaccinated, it allows more mutations which could make our own vaccination less effective. Plus we'll pay for their healthcare costs when they end up in the hospital and healthcare workers will suffer having to treat them. Also, people who can't get vaccinated will be at risk.

So I do think it's a problem. I just have decided it's not my problem. I have enough problems with the world that I'm working on. I can't solve them all. 🤷‍♀️

ETA this is one reason I have absolutely NO issue with vaccine passports. Don't want to get a vaccine? It's your choice. But choices have consequences and one consequence is that you don't get to go to that concert or on that cruise or have that job.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
That's my answer too. I'm going to get vaccinated and live my life and if they don't and happen to end up sick and possibly even dead, well, that was their choice and they are adults.

The only problem with this is that their actions do impact other people including us. If enough people don't get vaccinated, it allows more mutations which could make our own vaccination less effective. Plus we'll pay for their healthcare costs when they end up in the hospital and healthcare workers will suffer having to treat them. Also, people who can't get vaccinated will be at risk.

So I do think it's a problem. I just have decided it's not my problem. I have enough problems with the world that I'm working on. I can't solve them all. 🤷‍♀️

What I read today is that even with these refusers we are on track to vaccinate 70% of adults and that's just about what we need for herd immunity.

I think more people will come along as we go along and we'll make it.

If people want to fawn over refusers and tell them how special they are, they can go ahead. I'm not going to!

MacMadame

Staying at home
What I read today is that even with these refusers we are on track to vaccinate 70% of adults and that's just about what we need for herd immunity.

I think more people will come along as we go along and we'll make it.

If people want to fawn over refusers and tell them how special they are, they can go ahead. I'm not going to!
Agreed. If we can get to 70% or better and if time passes and those of us who got vaccinated don't grow heads, a lot of the hesitant will also come along.

This fawning over small vocal minorities is weird to me. It's like all those hundreds of articles about how we need to understand the Trump voters. Is this some uniquely American thing?

caseyedwards

Agreed. If we can get to 70% or better and if time passes and those of us who got vaccinated don't grow heads, a lot of the hesitant will also come along.

This fawning over small vocal minorities is weird to me. It's like all those hundreds of articles about how we need to understand the Trump voters. Is this some uniquely American thing?
Didn’t the people who opposed brexit get so much attention they got to named remoaners?

acraven

Unfortunately, the estimates of herd immunity are 70% - 85% of the entire population, not of the adult population.

I do think the number willing to be vaccinated will continue to creep upward, but it doesn't seem like it will be a rapid process (those under 16 have to wait for months), and a lot of folks will be at risk in the meantime.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think it is. But what I am think you are seeing is a group that is incredibly selfish and self-entitled who were empowered by Trump and now they don't have the power. Instead of accepting it they are just getting worse.

It is all about me me me. They hate being told what to do (suggested to wear a mask) but have no problems imposing their moral values on the rest of society (abortion, gun rights, etc).

I definitely think it does need analysis. What is going on in the minds of these people that they believe all the BS conspiracies? Really the way these people carry on appears to be a real mental health issue. These people are not stable or rational.

KCC

I think it is. But what I am think you are seeing is a group that is incredibly selfish and self-entitled who were empowered by Trump and now they don't have the power. Instead of accepting it they are just getting worse.

It is all about me me me. They hate being told what to do (suggested to wear a mask) but have no problems imposing their moral values on the rest of society (abortion, gun rights, etc).

I definitely think it does need analysis. What is going on in the minds of these people that they believe all the BS conspiracies? Really the way these people carry on appears to be a real mental health issue. These people are not stable or rational.
I can offer up a few of my family members for the analysis if that would help.

Aussie Willy

I can offer up a few of my family members for the analysis if that would help.
You have my sympathy.

Trump did an interview on Hannity. Just covering the same BS that he has been banging on about for months.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

I'll be the first to tell you I didn't want a vaccine. I didn't trust it, thought they didn't have enough testing, and just didn't trust them. However, as time passed, I realized that it was selfish not to do it for my loved ones. My dad wasn't thrilled either. But as soon as the state opened up vaccines, I dragged my dad and sister to get vaccinated Sunday before last. My dad wasn't going to go unless we "encouraged" him, so I scheduled the appointments and my sister drove. Family togetherness. Our little trio got quite a bit if attention at CVS. But I couldn't have planned a better group activity.

It's selfish not to get the vaccine. It's cruel to know you can eliminate yourself as a carrier and not do it. I couldn't have that on my conscience.

Last edited:

once_upon

I was truly skeptical when Trump announced he was going to have a vaccine by October. I wasn't sure i would trust anything he had a hand in, that he was just grifting the US.

But as I began to understand that the mRNA technologies had been studied for at least a decade, if not two, I trusted the actual scientists.

My kids are hoping that their kids will soon be eligible for research studies for kids under 12.

I know there is no point in talking to the hesitant or anti-vaxxers. They are unreachable.

We are going to Denver to see our youngest this weekend. We are almost 6 weeks post second immunization. Then we are going on a road trip - where we will travel other than Denver. We will still wear masks, social distance, but we feel we have some semblance of freedom.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
While I agree with BR we should ignore the Marjorie Taylor Greenes, I laughed and laughed all the way through this column while I read it:
What’s all this about architecture?
“Wattle-and-daub was well enough for Wiglaf,” cried the caucus,
“And well shall it be for me, in the hall of my lord and torque-bearer!
Stone is in the manner of the Romans, and I shun it for construction.

By European architecture, I meant a sturdy timber hall,
Lined with shields, and rich with plunder.
That is all the architecture I seek, and is definitely what I meant.”
:rofl:

Last edited:

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I was reading a NYTimes story from February about a woman who is a single mom, formerly homeless and then a couch surfer. She's in a rental apartment, is one course away from getting an associate degree, and working as a paralegal. She has family members with medical issues that make them more susceptible to the v*r*s, so she has to be careful about possible exposure. And she has to work at home, while trying to do her own coursework and helping her son with his remote schooling, because the receptionist at the law office where she works refuses to wear a mask.

I'm with @BlueRidge on this one. F*ck that when someone's refusal to wear a mask puts a huge burden on other people. Unless there is some compelling medical reason (a real reason, not some malarkey about the ADA saying you don't have to disclose a disability), the receptionist should be given a choice. Wear a mask in the office or find another job.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I think it is. But what I am think you are seeing is a group that is incredibly selfish and self-entitled who were empowered by Trump and now they don't have the power. Instead of accepting it they are just getting worse.That'
That's now though. This talk has been going on since Trump won. We are obsessed with them and have been for ages. Somehow they have convinced people that it's so important to understand them. But it's not important to understand other minorities or anything.
I'll be the first to tell you I didn't want a vaccine. I didn't trust it, thought they didn't have enough testing, and just didn't trust them.
When this all started, I was suspicious too. I was sure shortcuts would be taken. But I watched carefully and, as far as I can tell, every step and test that should have been gone through was gone through. The only exception in my mind was AZ which seemed to have some pretty loose study analysis going on and then the FDA didn't give them a EUA and that sealed it for me that all the normal safeguards were being followed.

(Actually, I'm also suspicious of Sputnik and the China vaccines because Sputnik didn't go through official Stage 3 trials and China seemed to have lied about their vaccine's effectiveness.)

Aussie Willy

That's now though. This talk has been going on since Trump won. We are obsessed with them and have been for ages. Somehow they have convinced people that it's so important to understand them. But it's not important to understand other minorities or anything.
I don't think it is trying to understand them to develop any form of empathy with them (which is what you are usually trying to do when wanting to "understand"). Most of these people don't seem to have any empathy themselves and have lost that part of themselves. But we are interested in what makes their brains tick and why they are such a bunch of [insert your choice of descriptor].

MacMadame

Staying at home
I don't think it is trying to understand them to develop any form of empathy with them (which is what you are usually trying to do when wanting to "understand"). Most of these people don't seem to have any empathy themselves and have lost that part of themselves. But we are interested in what makes their brains tick and why they are such a bunch of [insert your choice of descriptor].
There are have been plenty of articles about how we have to understand and have empathy for these poor souls who are feeling displaced and done wrong by ______.

(In case it's not clear, I don't see them as poor, put-upon people and find these articles and opinion pieces beyond annoying.)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
To be clear, the Washington Post article about understanding the Trumpist refuseniks was describing an effort to figure out the best way to persuade them to get vaccinated.

There are folks whose job that is and are looking for how to get it done.

But it just pissed me off that someone has to treat them kid gloves, even though it probably is necessary.

Susan1

Never been there, never heard of it. "Mosquito Lake" quite fitting for trump. Go for it.

maureenfarone

Never been there, never heard of it. "Mosquito Lake" quite fitting for trump. Go for it.
Mosquito Lake is near the PA state line and about 45 miles south of Ashtabula and 15 miles north of Youngstown. It is rural and has lots of mosquitos.

Susan1

Mosquito Lake is near the PA state line and about 45 miles south of Ashtabula and 15 miles north of Youngstown. It is rural and has lots of mosquitos.
Duh. ha ha

I've never been in that part of the state to go to a lake, except for Lake Erie in Sandusky and Cleveland. Hueston Woods, Rocky Fork, Cowan Lake, Ceasar Creek, Winton Lake, Indian Lake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information