Insurrectionists and subversives: Trump and his supporters (Thread for all things Trump)

ErikWilliam

Matt Gaetz’ friend, Joel Greenberg sits in the Orange County Jail facing 33 federal charges, he reportedly has been ‘singing like a bird’. Greenberg faces charges of having sex with the same 17-year-old and 'making fake ID's with the congressman'.

I read an article that this woman testified to a grand jury and admitted all this. How much longer until we see his mugshot?

canbelto

caseyedwards

So funny now that Trumps fans want to boycott MLB. Cancel culture much?

Conservatives cancel culture is they stop watching something
Liberals cancel culture is no one can ever see something

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Oh, cut the BS here. In my own neighborhood back in the late 90s, the local PUBLIC middle school wanted to use the adolescent version of "Our Bodies, Ourselves" for sex education class. Well, one Christian conservative mommy was ENRAGED because the book dared to bring up actually having sex outside of marriage, birth control, abortion, etc. Well, the school told her she could pull her child from that class. But, no, no, no, that wasn't good enough for Mommy Self-Righteous, the book had to be BANNED for everyone just in case her precious angel came into contact with it in any manner.

That's one of MANY examples I could give you.

jenny12

As Yasmeen points out, that’s just not true.
Conservatives have been responsible for banning books, banning sex education in certain areas, banning reproductive rights, banning equal access to marriage, etc. If we really want to use the phrase “cancel culture” which conservatives usually throw around when someone deservedly faces consequences for their actions, then they need to look at the mirror first.

Liberal Cancel Culture: Facing consequences for bad behavior.

Conservative Cancel Culture: Banning things for everyone that offend them individually.

canbelto

Oh, cut the BS here. In my own neighborhood back in the late 90s, the local PUBLIC middle school wanted to use the adolescent version of "Our Bodies, Ourselves" for sex education class. Well, one Christian conservative mommy was ENRAGED because the book dared to bring up actually having sex outside of marriage, birth control, abortion, etc. Well, the school told her she could pull her child from that class. But, no, no, no, that wasn't good enough for Mommy Self-Righteous, the book had to be BANNED for everyone just in case her precious angel came into contact with it in any manner.

That's one of MANY examples I could give you.

In my high school there was a girl who got pregnant and there was a huge push from parents to expel her. When told that they can't expel a student for being pregnant, the parents tried to get the girl erased from the yearbook.

Yazmeen

In my high school there was a girl who got pregnant and there was a huge push from parents to expel her. When told that they can't expel a student for being pregnant, the parents tried to get the girl erased from the yearbook.
There's a meme going around from a woman who was raised in a very right wing Christian family in the 90s and she talks about how during that time period, religious singers Amy Grant (divorce) and Sandi Patty (infidelity and divorce) were "canceled" by the Christian right wing, not to mention Disney (supporting LGBTQ) and the whole Proctor and Gamble fiasco (because of their logo, they worshipped Satan).

It was said best that when conservatives come out against you, you must own up to your mistakes and indiscretions. But when the mistakes and indiscretions are committed by a conservative, it's "cancel culture" to expect them to take responsibility.

ErikWilliam

There's a meme going around from a woman who was raised in a very right wing Christian family in the 90s and she talks about how during that time period, religious singers Amy Grant (divorce) and Sandi Patty (infidelity and divorce) were "canceled" by the Christian right wing, not to mention Disney (supporting LGBTQ) and the whole Proctor and Gamble fiasco (because of their logo, they worshipped Satan).

It was said best that when conservatives come out against you, you must own up to your mistakes and indiscretions. But when the mistakes and indiscretions are committed by a conservative, it's "cancel culture" to expect them to take responsibility.
Is she still? I moved to the "South" at 13, and everything at the time was Sandi Patty (THANK YOU Yazmeen for spelling her name right!). I even sang Kingdom of God (without a mic...) at evening service!! lol. (yes, I did.... eek). She was the most ERASED Christian singer after her divorce. My ex was good friends with her and knows all the jizz, but whatever. It is just so hypocritical for RWers to say "CANCEL CULTURE!!!" when they eat their own, and the ones who are eating them just haven't been caught yet..... Anyway, around 2000, Sandi was on really barebones dates, and my ex and I went to see her and went to dinner with her. And her new husband. Her voice was really in decline, so I haven't heard much of her in 20 years. Hopefully she's good. She's a WONDERFUL person. She exudes "Christianity" in all the ways that matter. I never cancelled her. Still don't.

ETA that the song I unleashed was actually called "Unshakeable Kingdom". I just sang it note to note. Still have it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GoD_BlGMdo

ETA2: Happy Easter to those who believe. This is like their big weekend, so live it up.

Last edited:

Yazmeen

Is she still? I moved to the "South" at 13, and everything at the time was Sandi Patty (THANK YOU Yazmeen for spelling her name right!). I even sang Kingdom of God (without a mic...) at evening service!! lol. (yes, I did.... eek). She was the most ERASED Christian singer after her divorce. My ex was good friends with her and knows all the jizz, but whatever. It is just so hypocritical for RWers to say "CANCEL CULTURE!!!" when they eat their own, and the ones who are eating them just haven't been caught yet..... Anyway, around 2000, Sandi was on really barebones dates, and my ex and I went to see her and went to dinner with her. And her new husband. Her voice was really in decline, so I haven't heard much of her in 20 years. Hopefully she's good. She's a WONDERFUL person. She exudes "Christianity" in all the ways that matter. I never cancelled her. Still don't.
She has been doing just fine, even making it though *********. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandi_Patty

Dobre

An interesting editorial about Dominion's lawsuit against Fox News:

"Dominion’s suit, accordingly, focuses instead on establishing that Fox News personalities knew that on-air claims about the company were false. The heart of the document is a timeline spanning the founding of Dominion in the early 2000s and the extraordinary election disinformation campaign that propelled the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. For example: The suit cites a Post report that Lou Dobbs, perhaps the most outspoken election conspiracy theorist on Fox during this period, had “raised questions about Powell’s claims to others.”
Other points:

1. Dominion sent a series of emails in November titled “SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT” to a range of staffers at Fox News. The documents refuted the false claims about the company. Even so, “Fox continued to promote the known lies on its most prominent and widely viewed broadcasts and on Fox’s websites, social media accounts, and subscription service platforms.”

"2. On Nov. 20, Dominion sent a retraction demand to Fox News; Fox News never responded to the letter, according to the complaint. The next day, host Jeanine Pirro told viewers about “the president’s lawyers alleging a company called Dominion, which they say started in Venezuela with Cuban money and with the assistance of Smartmatic software, a backdoor is capable of flipping votes.”

3. On Nov. 30, after additional attempts by Dominion to apprise Fox staffers of the facts, “Hannity” included an appearance by Powell in which she said that Dominion systems “ran an algorithm that shaved votes from Trump and awarded them to Biden. They used the machines to trash large batches of votes that should have been awarded to President Trump. And they used the machines to inject and add massive quantities of votes for Mr. Biden.”

4. From Dec. 18-20, Fox News aired a three-minute Q&A with a guest expert regarding Dominion. The segment was framed as an effort to correct the record, but “in plain contrast to its reporting on the lies about Dominion, Fox’s on-air talent did not embrace their guest’s statements as their own, nor did the guest’s statements retract any of the lies Fox had been endorsing and broadcasting about Dominion for the last month and a half, notwithstanding the overwhelming evidence and sources that Fox’s statements about Dominion were false.”

"5. The company sent a second retraction demand to Fox News on Dec. 22.

As the Erik Wemple Blog has noted before, it’s hard for public figures to prevail in defamation suits, because they have to prove that the defendant either knew that its statements were false or that they proceeded with reckless disregard of their truth or falsity. And it’s hard to jump into the heads of people and characterize their motives and state of knowledge — just ask Sarah Palin.

What’s distinctive about Dominion’s case against Fox News — as well as the 285-page complaint by Smartmatic against the network — is that the offending statements didn’t stem from a single story or segment or tweet. They spilled from a campaign over several weeks and punctuated by numerous debunkings. Either Fox hosts ignored all that information, or they acted in defiance of it. Whichever scenario bears out, just one conclusion emerges: There is no integrity in this political organization."

Dobre

Ex-officer texted ‘We stormed the Capitol’ during Jan. 6 riot, feds say, and tipsters turned him in​

"A former Salt Lake City police officer was arrested Friday for allegedly taking part in the mob that breached the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, joining a growing list of current and former law enforcement officers charged in the riot.

Federal authorities said Michael Lee Hardin, 50, entered the building with hundreds of other pro-Trump rioters and posed for a picture in the Capitol Crypt, then bragged about his actions in text messages with friends and family.

Hardin, who served on the police force for nearly two decades before retiring in 2017, is charged with knowingly entering or remaining in a restricted building, disorderly conduct, and parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building.

In a hearing Friday via Zoom, a judge ordered Hardin to self-surrender in the District of Columbia by April 8. Prosecutors didn’t seek to have him detained while his case proceeds, but local media reported that he was ordered to give up his passport and firearms."

caseyedwards

There is a difference between not being able to do what you want at all Vs not being able to do it in certain places. Did any right wing Christian in the 90’s end someone’s whole career? Someone said the n word 10 years ago loses their job now! Forever! A school doesn’t carry a book in its library is not the same as author loses their contract and can’t get published anymore.

once_upon

On this date a year ago, I posted something about how I would prefer a president who did not used crass language (the former guy apparently had added he was going to sue their asses off. Adding to his use of shithole and other language).

It's been less than 100 days - I think maybe day 74? It's been great to have someone who speaks intelligently.

Vagabond

An ex police officer arrested for participating in the insurrection. I assume this is just one of many, many examples.
NPR is keeping a database of people arrested in connection with the insurrection.

Of the 378 currently in the database, 55 (14.55%) have ties to the military or law enforcement. Of those fifty-five, seventeen also have ties to extremist or fringe groups.

ballettmaus

So funny now that Trumps fans want to boycott MLB. Cancel culture much?
I want to say the MLB should give the game to Virginia and send an even stronger message as Virginia just expanded voter access but I don't even know if Virginia has a team/stadium. DC does, but does Virginia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information