Insurrectionists and subversives: Trump and his supporters (Thread for all things Trump)

ballettmaus

They're not stupid.
No, they're not stupid. But they still don't care about the threat he poses as long as they get their ratings. The man is an authoritarian and incited an armed insurrection and he has not given up. He wants that power back and broadcasts are his only form of communicating with his base, at the moment. So, if you want to protect democracy and want him to become irrelevant, you do not give him a stage where he can broadcast his lies and propaganda. Ever.

Dobre

Massive investment in social studies and civics education proposed to address eroding trust in democratic institutions​

"The Educating for American Democracy (EAD) initiative will release a 36-page report and an accompanying 39-page road map Tuesday, laying out extensive guidance for improving and reimagining the teaching of social studies, history and civics and then implementing that over the next decade."

Not surprising, of course. And of course, emphasizing civics is a good idea.

But, honestly, any education plan that requires longer than a current administration in order to be put into place isn't really an education plan. It just gives politicians an out because they are out of office before the plan needs to get fully into place. (Or, in the case of new standardized tests, before the results flatten out after teachers have learned what is on the tests well enough to teach that material).

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
I was watching MSNBC last night during Joy Reid's time slot. It was a very interesting conversation about the voter suppression bills being passed, etc. A website was also mentioned where information about the voter suppression bills and voting laws trying to be passed, etc., could be found. There was also two listings where anyone can sign up to fight voter suppression and to help protect voters rights.

Democracy Docket | Highlighting Suppressive Voting Laws & Practices

I've bookmarked this site, and wanted to share it with everyone here. :40beers:

caseyedwards

Would better civics and social studies have meant no Iraq war? Or tax cuts for rich? You have to wonder what will be taught as meaning people are uneducated

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I would be satisfied if they were taught how a bill becomes a law, about the three branches of government, the separation of powers, and about the whole of the Constitution.

I would also like them to know how their state and local governments work.
I can't really imagine how this initiative won't fall afoul of the hostile climate from the rightwing that is suspicious of anything and everything that doesn't come from them. The same forces that want to make it as hard as possible for people to execute their right to vote will find good reasons why people shouldn't be taught that they can participate in government.

On top of that, the Trumpists already showed their hand about what they want taught about the US with Trump's 1776 commission, they want it to be taught that the United States is perfect and has been from the moment the Declaration of Independence was handed down from such unblemished persons as Thomas Jefferson. There's no way they'll go along with anything realistic being taught.

(Their attitude is pure Stalinism IMO)

caseyedwards

I would be satisfied if they were taught how a bill becomes a law, about the three branches of government, the separation of powers, and about the whole of the Constitution.

I would also like them to know how their state and local governments work.
On second thought what’s the point of teaching civics if the people in the government don’t do what is taught? That the conflict between what is in the constitution and how things actually are is the problem! The 1.9 trillion bill was just passed in the middle of the night after almost entirely back room negotiations. There is no way you can teach your way to better society when that’s the reality

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Interesting article about the current changes to voter laws across the states.

Dobre

Not sure where to post this. It's six of one, half dozen of another:

Inspector General’s Report Cites Elaine Chao for Misuse of Office​

We could discuss all the possible implications for this. But maybe we should start with how this could have compromised McConnell?

"The Transportation Department’s inspector general asked the Justice Department in December to consider a criminal investigation into what it said was Elaine Chao’s misuse of her office as transportation secretary in the Trump administration to help promote her family’s shipping business, which is run by her sister and has extensive business ties with China.

In a report made public on Wednesday, the inspector general said the Justice Department’s criminal and public integrity divisions both declined to take up the matter in the closing weeks of the Trump administration, even after the inspector general found repeated examples of Ms. Chao using her staff and her office to help benefit her family and their business operations and revealed that staff members at the agency had raised ethics concerns.

“A formal investigation into potential misuses of position was warranted,” Mitch Behm, the department’s deputy inspector general, said on Tuesday in a letter to House lawmakers, accompanying a 44-page report detailing the investigation and the findings of wrongdoing.

Ms. Chao, the wife of Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader, announced her resignation on Jan. 7, the day after the Capitol riot. At the time of her departure, an aide to Ms. Chao said her resignation was unrelated to the forthcoming release of the investigation.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
McConnell was just reelected. It should have no effect on him, politically. Personally, it has to be a huge distraction, I would think.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
I'm not holding my breath on that, @Cachoo, but I believe with all of them continuing to still support the 'Big Lie' that more security should be at the White House, too. They're making the scenario all about the Capitol, but that could be a distraction to avert the attention from the White House if there are future attacks.

Saw this on my local news last night.

Though specific details of the objections are different, the latest dispute centers on a similar premise to the complaints three years ago: allegations the secretary of state’s office is setting contractor search parameters that outright favor Colorado-based Dominion.

“It’s Deja vu all over again,” lawyers for ES&S said in the protest letter.

Three years ago, the secretary of state’s office started looking for a contractor under Ardoin’s predecessor and former boss, Tom Schedler. Dominion was chosen to provide new machines out of three companies that bid for the work, estimating the replacement could cost up to $95 million.

But Gov. John Bel Edwards’ administration voided the contract award to the company months later amid accusations from ES&S that the secretary of state’s office attempted to manipulate the outcome. Tregre said at that time the secretary of state’s office didn’t follow legal requirements in choosing the winning vendor. Ardoin and Dominion disagreed. But Dominion didn’t dispute the matter in court.

This time, ES&S argues the type of paper trail, screen sizes, pricing requirements and phased-in installation plan sought by Ardoin for new machines prejudice the search in favor of Dominion. Hart InterCivic made similar claims.

Meanwhile, Trump supporters are calling on Ardoin to block Dominion as a potential bidder, insisting the company’s machines were somehow to blame for Trump’s loss in key swing states — but not his victory in Louisiana. Dominion has sued several high-profile figures nationally for spreading the baseless claims.

Well, those Trump supporters better be careful. Those supporters and ES&S that are speaking out against Dominion may find themselves next in line with a lawsuit because Dominion isn't playing around.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Well, if nothing happens today March 20th is the next date - as it is the date the GOP was founded.
That must be the second March date that I read about after 1/6!

It's like a Doomsday cult. They'll keep moving the date until people stop paying attention because it's so obviously dumb. (Not that it isn't obviously dumb now. But apparently not to at least 30% of the population.)

caseyedwards

It's like a Doomsday cult. They'll keep moving the date until people stop paying attention because it's so obviously dumb. (Not that it isn't obviously dumb now. But apparently not to at least 30% of the population.)
Think the game is to keep troops around the capitol now to make democrats look bad. Because no one takes this more seriously than Pelosi. As long as this is posted she will keep troops around the capitol

once_upon

I haven't heard about any April dates other than Homeland Security was talking high alert to at least the end of April.

I suspect April 15th might be the next moving target be of Tax Day. Although there have been rumblings about when Biden addresses a joint session of Congress - when all political leaders are in one place.

Susan1

not done yet. I keep scrolling

Occupy Democrats says "WOMP WOMP: QAnon nutcases and delusional Trump cult members stand near the security perimeter outside of the U.S. Capitol hoping to see evidence of an inauguration of former President Trump on March 4, 2021
😂
😂
😂
It's a cult, folks... (Photo from Reuters)"

o.k. that's it. :)

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Keep in mind that these people are not pro-life when it comes to dying with dignity and assisted suicide for those with terminal illness. It is all about controlling people, not respecting others and their wishes.

Thankfully my state in Australia is just about to bring in Voluntary Assisted Dying legislation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information