Insurrectionists and subversives: Trump and his supporters (Thread for all things Trump)

once_upon

Enough
There's a good chance DOJ's acting on this in this way mainly because it concerns national security and the documents could do serious damage to US security if they end up in the wrong hands. (And I bet Trump would show them to anyone who wants to see them just to brag and/or use them for blackmail).
But as far as I know, so far, Garland has not shown much, if any, interest in investigating Trump for his role in Jan 6, the obstruction laid out in the Mueller report, tax evasion or enriching himself while in office or anything else he may be involved in. So yeah, there we go...
So you know what the search documents said what they were looking for?

There are other ongoing investigations happening on those other things. I doubt very much that he doesn't care or isn't doing something-we do not know

Susan1

This one actually broke the internet yesterday (excuse the bad introduction)

Literally. When I opened FB this morning, no pictures of anything would show up. I came back an hour later and there were tons of memes about the raid.

There are other ongoing investigations happening on those other things. I doubt very much that he doesn't care or isn't doing something-we do not know
Mr. Garland's been a busy, busy boy thanks to trump. I wonder if he would have rather been appointed to the Supreme Court. ha ha

once_upon

Enough
Ari M on MSNBC laid put the last few hours in a way very clear timeline

The FBI and National Archives department investigated, documented the contents of the 15 boxes, identifying each piece in Jan or Feb. With Trump lawyers following/accompanying them and was on-site for a period of time

On Monday morning, the warrent for search was delivered and search begun.

Trump has a copy of exactly what that document says and all the specifics.

One of Trump's lawyers apparently was present during the search.

The person who "leaked" the information that a "raid" was happening - was Trump. In fact it was not a raid, but a legally obtain/documented the search for specific items. Trump has all this information.

Trump is the one who can specifically state what it was. The search warrant included all of Mar-Lar-Go. EDITED another lawyer/expert said that the warrent most likely included specific areas of search - probably not public areas like dining rooms, lobby etc.

The JOD, FBI and Judge had reason to believe these highly, highly sensitive documents were going to be destroyed. The documents are apparently so highly sensitive that the level can not be released. Thus the search rather than a subpoena.

If Trump believes that the documents were not searched for or taken per search warrent can appeal and ask for return of documents.

ballettmaus

Garland is very interested but keeping cards close to chest. Listen to legal experts who talk about this.
I did. Everyone I heard expressed surprise that DOJ wouldn't be aware of this or that during the Jan 6 hearings and/or said that they had thought that Garland/the DOJ was just keeping very quiet about things but from how DOJ had reacted, they now believe that Garland/DOJ had not yet been looking into Trump with regards to Jan 6 yet.

There were also some who said DOJ should have known this or that already and several who were annoyed that Garland reiterated the Barr memo instead of rescinding it.

Wasn't one of Rudy's residences raided several months ago by the Feds and one of the 500000 alleged Hunter Biden laptops searched? None of the contents of that investigation have leaked, and I doubt anything from this investigation will leak no matter how loud the rabid civil war cosplayers are screaming for transparency. Garland is slow, deliberate, and doesn't let anything out whatsoever. Trying to determine his interest/disinterest levels or his motivation seems pointless.
Giuliani has been investigated for years now. Last I read was to not expect much to come of it. 🤷‍♀️

Robert Costa
@costareports
Interesting… sources close to @January6thCmte tell @CBSNews that some committee members have been quietly investigating trail of Trump’s documents for months about pardons, and are probing whether any private pardon papers exist. And if so, if they’re held by Trump/aides.
Several lawyers/former law enforcement officers said last night that the FBI does not do investigating/warrants for Congress.

Uh? I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. That you believe the FBI would get and be able to get a search warrant based on a hunch that Trump is still in the possession of some harmless papers?

At least some of the documents were classified, reports say that some even were top secret and I read that the agents who executed the search warrant belong to the unit which deals with counterintelligence and national security matters. I don't think it's that big of a leap to assume that when someone is in the possession of classified, maybe even top secret documents, it's a matter that pertains to national security.

I never said he doesn't care. I just think he, like Pelosi when they took over the House in 2018, is just so damn focused on trying to appear non-partisan and non-political that he's missing the danger of not investigating.

This is my favorite analogy to date (goes for Biden and his desire for the sadly long-gone days of bipartisanship, too): https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1549223435519262720

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Hal Sparks is covering Eric Trump b*tching and whining to Greg Kelly on Newsmax about the FBI. Of course playing the victim and projecting. Hilary and Hunter's laptop. Every time the laptop is mentioned Hal says "What laptop? There is no laptop.".

sk9tingfan

I did. Everyone I heard expressed surprise that DOJ wouldn't be aware of this or that during the Jan 6 hearings and/or said that they had thought that Garland/the DOJ was just keeping very quiet about things but from how DOJ had reacted, they now believe that Garland/DOJ had not yet been looking into Trump with regards to Jan 6 yet.

There were also some who said DOJ should have known this or that already and several who were annoyed that Garland reiterated the Barr memo instead of rescinding it.

Giuliani has been investigated for years now. Last I read was to not expect much to come of it. 🤷‍♀️

Several lawyers/former law enforcement officers said last night that the FBI does not do investigating/warrants for Congress.

Uh? I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. That you believe the FBI would get and be able to get a search warrant based on a hunch that Trump is still in the possession of some harmless papers?

At least some of the documents were classified, reports say that some even were top secret and I read that the agents who executed the search warrant belong to the unit which deals with counterintelligence and national security matters. I don't think it's that big of a leap to assume that when someone is in the possession of classified, maybe even top secret documents, it's a matter that pertains to national security.

I never said he doesn't care. I just think he, like Pelosi when they took over the House in 2018, is just so damn focused on trying to appear non-partisan and non-political that he's missing the danger of not investigating.

This is my favorite analogy to date (goes for Biden and his desire for the sadly long-gone days of bipartisanship, too): https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1549223435519262720
My post's source was Robert Costa. https://twitter.com/costareports Not my opinion.

once_upon

Enough

Yes I am aware that reports have indicated a high level of national security .

But we also don't know if they had listed some documents related to Jan 6. Or the specifics of a voting process or planned death of a VP.

All of which could would are a matter of national security.

Dobre

Scott Perry and Rick Scott are two different people. The link above is about Scott Perry, no? (I didn't watch it, but Rick Scott would be mentioned along with Perry in the title if it were about both of them, wouldn't it?)

I haven't seen anything about Rick Scott. Maybe someone confused the two guys because they share "Scott" in their names?

----

Per Steve Vladeck:

"Wait until they hear about how difficult #SCOTUS has made it for Americans to vindicate their constitutional rights when federal law enforcement officers actually violate the Fourth Amendment…"

Good point.

Along those lines, seeing as how various Republican members of Congress are concerned right now that law enforcement might misuse its power . . .

Maybe they would like to help Congress make a new law protecting people's Miranda Rights. Since the Supreme Court undermined them.

Also, something should probably be done to make sure that police officers who take too much of the law into their own hands can be prosecuted via the same bar as ordinary citizens. (You know, like Trump).

Desperado

Ari M on MSNBC laid put the last few hours in a way very clear timeline

The FBI and National Archives department investigated, documented the contents of the 15 boxes, identifying each piece in Jan or Feb. With Trump lawyers following/accompanying them and was on-site for a period of time

On Monday morning, the warrent for search was delivered and search begun.

The JOD, FBI and Judge had reason to believe these highly, highly sensitive documents were going to be destroyed.

Why wait 7 months to destroy them? Were they hoping Russia would come and pick them up? Trying to sell them on the dark net? Blackmail?

It’s so hard to figure out such corrupt, yet incompetent people.

Allskate

So all the people who thought Garland wasn't doing anything? Here you go.
I think a lot of people are assuming that this is related to what the January 6 Committee is looking at. There is no indication that is the case. The New York Times says that they are not aware of any overlap between the search and the crimes related to the election and insurrection and that, if there is any future overlap, it would just be if they happened to find something among the documents they seized.

And if Garland had planned to prosecute Trump for anything that was the subject of the Mueller Report, it is hard to believe that, even if he being incredibly thorough, he would not have indicted by now. The DOJ and FBI already had investigated and analyzed all that information and could have indicted him a long time ago.

It does seem that the DOJ has been reluctant or slow to investigate Trump's conduct related to the 2020 election and the insurrection. Members of Congress have complained about it. Prosecutors reportedly were surprised by what they learned from the Congressional hearings. Tribe, who was Garland's professor, has repeatedly complained about how slow Garland has been. Some people within the DOJ have pretty clearly been frustrated and are leaking. It has been over a year and a half and the DOJ only just subpoenaed key witnesses, such as White House counsel, and only just executed search warrants on key some people. It does not appear that the DOJ had even attempted to get the texts of Secret Service witnesses. There is no indication that they have been acting quickly and aggressively to put an end to claims of executive privilege for people who were working in the White House.

IMO, it is not going to be good if he is indicted after Trump declares his candidacy. It will appear political and Trump and his friends will claim it is political and he successfully will play victim again.

Unfortunately, the news story is all about this search now and not about what the Committee found or the news from Congress and Biden this week. It has given Trump and his political friends lots of political fodder and they are fundraising off of it.

I think the rest of us are grateful that he is the AG. And I am sure what he is doing now is much more interesting.
Not me! I would much prefer him to have been confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice. Because Garland is not a Supreme Court Justice, we got Gorsuch instead. So far, I see nothing to indicate that Garland has done anything especially impressive or anything more effective or "interesting" than what another Attorney General appointed by Biden would have done. I'd prefer a Justice Garland.

VGThuy

I had to laugh when Lawrence ODonnel pointed out there were more camera crew outside MarALargo then Trump supporters.

The LIEberal MSM are deliberately pointing their cameras the wrong way. Either that or Biden already ordered the corrupt DOJ to arrest all the Trump supporters. It's a KONSPIRACY :mitchell:
This reminds me of those reality shots of Trump’s less-than-impressive showing during his inauguration or when members of the media would show backstage footage of Trump rallies to show how much emptier they actually were than what the rallies looked like on tv when cameras only focused on Trump and the stage.

ETA:

A seriously dramatic reading of Trump’s statement:

:lol:

Last edited:

Dobre

"The @FBI searched Mar-a-Lago in part because agents believed there was still more classified info there after @USNatArchives earlier retrieved 15 boxes of WH documents from the home. Agents hauled away ~ 10 more boxes."

----

Why wait 7 months to destroy them? Were they hoping Russia would come and pick them up? Trying to sell them on the dark net? Blackmail?
He didn't want them destroyed.

Best guess as to why he had them?

I'll take :bribe: and insurance for $1,000, Alex. Paying off some serious debts? Maybe some revenge on the side? And purchasing asylum if necessary, which I think he's not getting.

Dobre

Should add bragging rights to the list:

"Mr. Trump would wave things like the North Korean leader’s letters at people, as if they were collectors’ items he was showing off."

ballettmaus

My post's source was Robert Costa. https://twitter.com/costareports Not my opinion.
Oh, I know, it was just for information purposes :)

Yes I am aware that reports have indicated a high level of national security .

But we also don't know if they had listed some documents related to Jan 6. Or the specifics of a voting process or planned death of a VP.

All of which could would are a matter of national security.
Everything I've read and heard suggests that the search was related to the documents he took and not Jan 6th. I'd even go as far as say some sources/news outlets have emphasized that it was about the boxes of documents and not Jan 6th.
Of course, they might find documents related to Jan 6 or something else, yet everything they find that is not related to the boxes of documents he took would be a happy coincidence and not the result of an investigation.

Maybe they didn't think anyone would bother coming from them? Remember, this is Trump we're talking about. He's got his own little reality in his head (and I'm not kidding).

Not me! I would much prefer him to have been confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice. Because Garland is not a Supreme Court Justice, we got Gorsuch instead. So far, I see nothing to indicate that Garland has done anything especially impressive or anything more effective or "interesting" than what another Attorney General appointed by Biden would have done. I'd prefer a Justice Garland.
Same. I don't know if he's too much of a judge or simply generally concerned with appearing neutral after Trump used the DOJ as his own personal law firm. Either way, someone needs to tell him that he's not a judge anymore but a prosecutor and it's his job to investigate crimes regardless of who committed them and or what the optics are. Justice is blind for a reason.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw someone post a theory that the reason why the FBI went after the documents is because of the deals that Jarrad has done with the Saudis and then the golf tournament last week. Just linking these things together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information