How are skaters training?

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
TomZ posted some videos of some skaters practicing in a 'private rink' on his IG. I wonder if some other skaters are doing this if they have the option? Anyway, I just hope and pray that everyone stays strong and healthy!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
No, not where I live, at least the municipal arenas. They've all been closed and rentals have been cancelled. Private rinks might be different though.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Here in Florida most everything is closed except for grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. - and the beaches. Ask Florida's governor how come... :shuffle:

Orm Irian

How would pairs skaters and ice dancers train?

You can train lifts off-ice, but that's hard with social distancing requirements. So I guess it would be off-ice jumps and spins, stretching and flexibility, and general conditioning.

twizzletoes76

I would assume most skaters are just taking some time off and maybe only doing some at home conditioning or outdoor cross training like running, walking, or biking—though I did see a photo of Eteri’s students all on the ice in Russia and all wearing masks. But I would guess even that situation might already be changed.

But the point is, since all rinks (with maybe exception of some smaller private ones) are basically shut down everywhere, the assumption you would have to make as a competitor is that everyone you are competing against is likely missing about the same amount of practice time as you. So, it’s not like you would be behind once the training time starts back up again. Everyone in your comp group would roughly be in the same place.

Additionally, I’m not convinced there’s even going to be a competitive season next year if things continue in the direction they are headed. It would be nice if someone as a default develops a system in which we could have fair “virtual competitions” because even next season travel may continue to pose a hazard and large venue gatherings may still be prohibited in places...

aliceanne

How would pairs skaters and ice dancers train?

I guess they just have to work on maintaining fitness. I remember reading an interview with Gordeeva about the lack of ice facilities when the USSR disbanded and the economy was depressed. She said that pairs skaters were at less of a disadvantage than singles skaters because they could practice a lot of the pairs moves off-ice. I think for them lack of a partner is a bigger problem.

As far as competition, they will all be in the same boat pretty much. So there is that. Maybe it will force some of them to think about and prepare for what they are going to do when their skating career is over.

Colonel Green

Additionally, I’m not convinced there’s even going to be a competitive season next year if things continue in the direction they are headed. It would be nice if someone as a default develops a system in which we could have fair “virtual competitions” because even next season travel may continue to pose a hazard and large venue gatherings may still be prohibited in places...
I think there's a reasonable chance we may be seeing only national-level competitions for some of the big countries for at least the first part of next season.

Things get :watch: if this extends to the point of interfering with Stockholm Worlds too and they're going to be contemplating whether to push the Saitama Worlds allotments into 2021/22.

Snittens

I am sure a rink can be rented for private use?
It costs a lot of money to maintain a rink. It would pretty much have to be rented for most of the day. TBH, I thought about it too, like get together 8 skaters and 2 coaches, let's rent the rink for a couple hours every week, but there's no way they can keep the ice going unless people are doing that every day.
At least here in MD, ice rinks were specifically named in the facilities that had to close, so there goes that idea anyway.

coppertop1

I can't imagine what it's like to be a skater with access to all rinks cut off indefinitely. It must be incredibly disorienting.

They must be going stir crazy. This could really mess up next season, headings into the pre-Olympic year. I can see most skaters keeping this season's programs.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Tiff and John and all of the other Moscow skaters are not training, all of the rinks are closed in Moscow!
Fortunately, Tiff's physio is still open, despite the sports school in which it is housed being shut down.
So at least Tiff can do her physio for her injuries every day for now.

bardtoob

Vincent Zhou is doing triple axels on a tiny sheet of ice in a barn:

It's like he rented out that bowling alley/hockey rink from the original Ice Castles.

Maybe he will become a better spinner. The Swiss used to claim they became good spinners because they did not have enough ice to do anything else.

Last edited:

barbarafan

I don't think any of the ice dancers at Gadbois have access to the rink.
Chock and Bates are improvising with the environment. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FoLUnppaY/
The idea is to keep everyone home to end the virus. Each community must do this. If the rink is used certain staff must be there. That endangers them as well as the skaters. Grocery stores and pharmacies are open even in indoor malls. Precautions are being taken everywhere. I go to the store every 3 days about to pick up perishable necessities. In Dollar store few employees...all wearing gloves..1 cashier only (they have automatic cash's which are wiped down frequently during the day).Cash is not accepted. Groceries- very few staff...all gloved...only 2 cash's open- reduced hours. Drug store- Qty of ppl. allowed in store at one time restricted...few staff....gloves worn. My son is working still. essential staff at hospitals. Works in the lab but more from a systems end of it. Is also on call but does that plus part of his work at home. Everything has to stop moving for the virus to stop moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information