Hidilyn Diaz wins first ever OGM for the Philippines

CantALoop

I know there was a brief mention in the Day Three thread, but Olympic weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz did so much more than get the first-ever OGM for her country. 🇵🇭 🥇

She did so pretty much with almost everything working against her. She had little to no government support, and in fact, had some crazy political conspiracies that targeted her.

Her situation was so desperate that at one point, she took to social media to beg for sponsors. She didn't have any fancy government-sponsored training centers, she had a bare-bones gym that makes even the smallest 24-Hour Fitness look like the US Olympic Training Center.

Add that to beating the current world record holder to clinch, and it's probably one of the most amazing underdog stories in Olympic history ever. :cheer2:

CantALoop

I saw the clip of her win and cried. Lots of congrats to her.
I teared up and cried too, especially when I saw her emotional tears through the entire Philippine national anthem! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKn9gPdODbs

Imagine all that she's gone through, and looking at your flag rising above the others while knowing that this is the first time your country's national anthem has ever played in an Olympic medal ceremony - just incredible!

On a selfish note, I hope this helps to take some pressure off on Carlos Yulo to deliver in his event final, now that he no longer has the expectation of being the first OGM from the Philippines 🇵🇭

justAfsfan

Why an athlete as capable as her doesn't have any government support or sponsor? This is so puzzling.

CantALoop

Why an athlete as capable as her doesn't have any government support or sponsor? This is so puzzling.

Does the Philippines government normally support athletes?
Might wanna ask Melissa Bulanhagui and Christopher Caluza :shuffle: I'm no expert on the Philippine Olympic Committee or sports but I have a feeling that unless a Filipina/Filipino athlete competes in a popular sport like boxing, they probably get minimal assistance.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Might wanna ask Melissa Bulanhagui and Christopher Caluza :shuffle: I'm no expert on the Philippine Olympic Committee or sports but I have a feeling that unless a Filipina/Filipino athlete competes in a popular sport like boxing, they probably get minimal assistance.
That's kind of what I figured. Government support of athletes is a luxury program that not all countries can afford particularly if the sport in question is not widely popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information