Gun violence (Again!)

Tesla

Whippet Good
The details coming out about the law enforcement response in this case are genuinely some of the most worst things I’ve ever read. I have a 10-year-old, so I knew every detail would be excruciating - but I would not have imagined when this news first broke on Wednesday afternoon that it could get so much worse.
My daughter is 10 and in fourth grade. This could have been her class. I'm just gutted.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The father of one of the victims is a medical aide. He learned that his daughter had been killed when he arrived on the scene to help and the little girl he was treating told him her best friend had been shot. Her best friend was his daughter.

How on earth does anyone look at this devastation and think that the answer is 'more guns'?

ETA: Sorry, ChelleC, I was typing while you were posting. :(
I watched it. Truly heart breaking. Unimaginable pain.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Don't worry about throwing yourself in front of the kids. The dipshits in my town want armed parents to patrol the schools every day. They'll take out any potential active shooter before they reach the classrooms. 🤦‍♀️
The ignorance is shocking. They love their guns more than their children (or May be other people's children?) and the lives of human beings.

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
Maybe someone in the school should have called 911 and say that they were reporting a woman seeking an abortion and there were people helping her to get one.

SWAT would have charged the building. Because Texas loves it zygote and fetuses more than children.

Trillian

My daughter is 10 and in fourth grade. This could have been her class. I'm just gutted.

Sending hugs. It’s been a really hard couple of days.

When Sandy Hook happened, I worked with someone whose triplets were first-graders, and he had to excuse himself from conversations whenever it came up because he’d start tearing up. I was obviously sympathetic at the time, but I hate the fact that now I know exactly how he felt.

One thing we have absolutely not reckoned with as a society is the scope of impact caused by gun violence. These kids will never be the same. Neither will their parents, their siblings, their neighbors. But… on a lesser scale, neither will a lot of other people, including us and our kids, and anyone who can see themselves in this situation. What does it mean for American culture that so many of us have been in such close physical or emotional proximity to this kind of trauma? When people talk about gun violence as a public health issue, it’s not just about the deaths or the injuries - it’s also about what it means for everyone who survives.

Susan1

I saw this in a meme on FB, but couldn't find it again, so I looked up the timeline.

"May 17
Shooter purchases a semi-automatic rifle at a local sporting goods store called Oasis Outback.

May 18
Shooter purchases 375 rounds of ammunition for that rifle. It was not clear where he purchased the ammunition.

May 20
Shooter purchases another semi-automatic rifle, again at Oasis Outback.

May 24
Day of mass shooting."

And nobody thought this was any kind of clue?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I’ve seen this reported several places now. If it is true, I’m not surprised. The police industry is centered around a load of heroic myth-making crap so they can get away with abuse. I know this is just one force but it is displaying the kind of selfishness and disregard for human life other than their own that I think is related to other instances of police brutality. This was police brutality as well. It’s just that the brutality this time came in the form of indifference to an entire community.

A racialized and economically disadvantaged community. I kind of hate to say this, but I wonder if the response would have been different if this had happened at a school with upper-class white students.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Chuck Schumer's effort to open debate toward a bipartisan bill on gun safety failed today in the Senate. Susan Collins was the only Republican to vote to open debate.

"Democrats’ first attempt at responding to the back-to-back mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, failed in the Senate Thursday as Republicans blocked a domestic terrorism bill that would have opened debate on difficult questions surrounding hate crimes and gun safety." Reported by WTOP radio news.

I'd really like to see something come that is bipartisan even if it is only symbolic. It might create a crack in the dam that holds back Republicans from supporting any gun control legislation no matter how modest.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Chuck Schumer's effort to open debate toward a bipartisan bill on gun safety failed today in the Senate. Susan Collins was the only Republican to vote to open debate.

"Democrats’ first attempt at responding to the back-to-back mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, failed in the Senate Thursday as Republicans blocked a domestic terrorism bill that would have opened debate on difficult questions surrounding hate crimes and gun safety." Reported by WTOP radio news.

I'd really like to see something come that is bipartisan even if it is only symbolic. It might create a crack in the dam that holds back Republicans from supporting any gun control legislation no matter how modest.
It is so clear who is guilty. It isnt just the killer, the gun manufacturers, or even the NRA. It is the spineless republicans in the Senate who won't even open a dialogue. They should all resign.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Beto O'Rourke confronts Gov Abbott in his press conference. Bravo Beto.

Abbott had said- tougher Gun laws Is not a real solution.

OK, Governor, so what is a real solution? All of us should be dead so there won't be anyone left to kill? - Obviously I am angry.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
A racialized and economically disadvantaged community. I kind of hate to say this, but I wonder if the response would have been different if this had happened at a school with upper-class white students.
You spoke my mind. I was about to post similar thoughts. In the current racist climate this could be the case, although in the past mass shootings happened in white communities also.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Wasn't Sandy Hook mostly well-off white students? Judging by the response to that, the answer appears to be no. 😭

IIRC the first responders at Sandy Hook went in as soon as they arrived. https://www.courant.com/news/connec...0211214-su7zyvqqzfcgxautlcxpmk4tpi-story.html

ETA: The linked story says that the protocol that was established after Columbine (not sure if this is national, regional, whatever practice) is to target the shooter ASAP. That seems to mean the first responders should go in right away without waiting for backup, and deal with the shooter.

Last edited:

once_upon

I saw a Facebook post "What teachers don't tell you about active shooter drills is they are instructed to not open doors - even to a student they know - as it could be the shooter with the child."

As I look back to the twins first day of the 2021-2022 school year and telling me about the active shooter drill...it makes sense that one of the twins told me they will never go to the bathroom at school ever. And the other one said - no if someone starts shooting while you are in the bathroom you stand on the toilet and duck down so they can't see your feet or your head.

intheknow

I have often wondered what would happen if one of these shootings took place at Sidwell Friends or Georgetown Prep or the National Cathedral School or any of the elite private schools that lawmaker’ children attend. (Ted Cruz’s children go to St. John’s in Houston). Would the response be different?

jenny12

I have often wondered what would happen if one of these shootings took place at Sidwell Friends or Georgetown Prep or the National Cathedral School or any of the elite private schools that lawmaker’ children attend. (Ted Cruz’s children go to St. John’s in Houston). Would the response be different?

Unless they give more money to the Republicans than the NRA, I don’t think it would matter.

Reactions: Rob

Trillian

And the other one said - no if someone starts shooting while you are in the bathroom you stand on the toilet and duck down so they can't see your feet or your head.

HBO Max has an incredibly well-made movie called The Fallout that I watched recently about three teenagers in the aftermath of a shooting at their school. This is exactly what the main characters do in the opening scene. One of the things I found really striking about the film is that none of the violence happens onscreen, and two of the main characters didn’t directly witness any of it. In a way, that almost made it more powerful as a depiction of the different kinds of trauma these events can cause (including some of the supporting characters who weren’t there at all).

Unless they give more money to the Republicans than the NRA, I don’t think it would matter.

Unfortunately, I agree. My husband made the comment, “What if it was Ted Cruz’s kids?” and I replied that he might change his own personal stance (might), but none of his “friends” would join him.

barbk

Prohibiting sale of guns to men under age 25 would solve a lot of problems. So would effective prohibitions on gun ownership/possession by anyone with a serious mental health issue. My sibling who was severely mentally ill (but who always voluntarily agreed to hospitalization) was still legal to purchase a gun...because being wildly bipolar despite medication, paranoid, and angry enough to repeatedly bump other cars that don't move out of the way fast enough isn't enough to restrict gun rights in Georgia. We're just lucky she couldn't scrape together the money to buy one.

once_upon

Do I understand this correctly - shooter went out on his 18th birthday and purchased 2 assault rifles and 1 or 2 days later bought rounds and rounds of bullets for said assault rifles. Then argued with his grandmother on who needed to pay his phone bill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information