Gun violence (Again!)

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

The Oath Keepers, which claims tens of thousands of present and former law enforcement officials and military veterans as members, is one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S. today. While it claims only to be defending the Constitution, the entire organization is based on a set of baseless conspiracy theories about the federal government working to destroy the liberties of Americans.
These are scary people.

ballettmaus

Northam declared a state of emergency ahead of the gun rally next week. https://www.npr.org/2020/01/15/796666321/virginia-governor-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-pro-gun-rally

"We have received credible intelligence from our law enforcement agencies that there are groups with malicious plans for the rally that is planned for Monday," Northam said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Northam is raising concerns about a reprise of the deadly violence surrounding the white supremacist march in Charlottesville in August 2017. He said state intelligence analysts have identified threats and rhetoric online that mirror the chatter they were picking up around that time.

Sparks

All of this is terrifying.

The FBI has arrested three alleged members of The Base – which authorities describe as a "racially motivated violent extremist group" – on charges that range from illegal transport of a machine gun to harboring aliens, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland.

DFJ

Heather Heyer's mom is on CNN. As a mother, I don't know how anyone deals with the loss of a child. Pray nothing as hideous happens today.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
good luck today Richmond. you are in my thoughts.
3 blocks from Capitol Square, where the rally is taking place. I have a direct view from the workplace window.

Lots of people gathered on the left side of the Capitol lawn (right side facing the Governor's Mansion is fenced off), security is high, and so far so good.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
3 blocks from Capitol Square, where the rally is taking place. I have a direct view from the workplace window.

Lots of people gathered on the left side of the Capitol lawn (right side facing the Governor's Mansion is fenced off), security is high, and so far so good.
Thank you for the report. I hope it stays good. I hope the really bad elements were already stopped. I'm sure that most of the people are non-violent, I just hope the militant ones are all talk and things stay peaceful.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Its really good that this went off without trouble.

Weapons, flags, no violence: Massive pro-gun rally in Virginia capital (Washington Post)

RICHMOND — Thousands of gun-rights advocates packed the streets around the Virginia Capitol on Monday, bristling with weapons, flags and threats of insurrection but never erupting into the violence authorities had feared.

Armed militias carrying assault-style weapons marched in formation until the crowds grew too thick. Protestors without firearms filed through 17 metal detectors at a single entrance to Capitol Square, where Gov. Ralph Northam had temporarily banned weapons, and cheered fiery speeches about the Second Amendment.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just don't get the mentality that think it is okay to walk around carrying weapons of war through the streets to just to prove a point. And I am pretty sure the anti-gun rallies have had a lot more people.

caseyedwards

Are semi automatic weapons really weapons of war? No! war weapons are all Automatic not semi automatic. What gun companies have done are design semi automatic weapons just to look like weapons of war! So people feel cool and like a military person. But no one in Afghanistan has a gun like the people were marching with in Virginia!!!!!!! No good for war. When you say you want to ban assault weapons that’s nothing. You really want to ban all semi automatic weapons for civilians like automatic weapons are banned for civilians. Semi automatic guns with army designs. Democrats Are only passing gun owner harassment bills. They are just harassment. Register your ar-15!!! Drag your brother or son to a gun store if you want to give him a gun! That’s nothing. It’s harassment. Just ban all possession of semi automatic weapons

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
wow, this facebook post is the most inspiring thing I have seen today. It is from March for Our Lives the group organized by Parkland students.

Yesterday, 13 of us snuck into the Virginia State Capitol building and slept on the floor of two Delegates’ offices. The Governor declared a state of emergency and death threats were being sent our way, so this was the only way to keep safe.

We awoke to the sight of thousands of armed white supremacists and extremists beginning to surround the Capitol. We met with legislators and advocated for peace. We lived the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and our simple existence in the Capitol was our peaceful resistance. We spoke our truth and shared our vision of a peaceful Virginia – one where ALL Virginians could feel safe using their First Amendment right to speak to their legislators in Richmond.

Our coalition of gun violence prevention groups in Virginia has been coming to Richmond every MLK Day for the last 27 years to host a vigil for those lost to gun violence and call for peace. We refused to let this be the first year that extremists and white supremacists could scare us away. Despite the bone-chilling fear we felt as we sat alone in the building at night, we stayed because we knew that despite the threats, we had to show up.
Thank you to the courageous Delegate Chris Hurst and Delegate Dan Helmer, who were our strongest allies when everyone told us to stay home and live to fight another day. The Delegates stood with us because they understand the true weight of gun violence. Delegate Hurst joined the fight when his girlfriend, Alison Parker, was shot and killed on-air while reporting in 2015. Delegate Helmer served our country and saw the impact of guns when he fought in Iraq. We could not ask for better allies in this fight.
When faced with injustice, we have no right to remain silent.
Peace will prevail. We will win.

Aussie Willy

Are semi automatic weapons really weapons of war? No! war weapons are all Automatic not semi automatic. What gun companies have done are design semi automatic weapons just to look like weapons of war! So people feel cool and like a military person. But no one in Afghanistan has a gun like the people were marching with in Virginia!!!!!!! No good for war. When you say you want to ban assault weapons that’s nothing. You really want to ban all semi automatic weapons for civilians like automatic weapons are banned for civilians. Semi automatic guns with army designs. Democrats Are only passing gun owner harassment bills. They are just harassment. Register your ar-15!!! Drag your brother or son to a gun store if you want to give him a gun! That’s nothing. It’s harassment. Just ban all possession of semi automatic weapons
What is a semi-automatic weapon for if not developed to be used in war? It has nothing to do with the look of a weapon but the intent of purpose.

caseyedwards

What is a semi-automatic weapon for if not developed to be used in war? It has nothing to do with the look of a weapon but the intent of purpose.
No- war weapons are usually totally automatic. Only semi automatic weapons and lesser weapons can be sold to American people. They can be designed to look like war weapons but it’s all cosmetic.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

AxelAnnie

Graceful men lift lovely girls in white!

Would these guys have been allowed to step through metal detectors if they were not white?
I have no clue what happened. They were part of a rally in an open carry state. This sounds ideological not racial. That begs the question: Why do they have metal detectors there if it is an open carry state?

What I find interesting is that the one guy is wearing a Gucci belt buckle, and they are from KY gun owners. Isn't that a jelly?

Also From Huffpost....

"Men in balaclavas packing semi-automatic rifles and wearing camouflage, bulletproof vests and combat boots marched into the Kentucky Capitol in Frankfort on Friday, driving out terrified visitors.

The men were gun rights activists and members of the group We Are KY Gun Owners, staging a Second Amendment rally proving they have a right to appear to be a paramilitary operation in the open carry state. They were allowed by security to step around the Capitol’s metal detectors."

mag

The question really is: If a crowd of black men or middle eastern men dressed in camouflage and bullet proof vests approached in the same way, what would the police have done? Let them bypass the metal detectors? Sure. And if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

Yet, the vast majority of terrorist attacks in the US are perpetrated by white men.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

AxelAnnie

The question really is: If a crowd of black men or middle eastern men dressed in camouflage and bullet proof vests approached in the same way, what would the police have done? Let them bypass the metal detectors? Sure. And if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

Yet, the vast majority of terrorist attacks in the US are perpetrated by white men.

Things that make you go hmmmm.
You guys.....they were having some sort of Rally which I assume was planned, in an open carry state.
They were not storming the capital.

And yes, the vast majority of terrorist attacks in the US are perprated by white men............if you don't include that Twin Towers thing. Interestingly enough, although whites are responsible for 72%, and Islamists 27%, the number of deaths caused by either is approx the same.....106 & 109 respectively,

disclaimer: the information above does not reflect my personal opinion or approval.

mag

You guys.....they were having some sort of Rally which I assume was planned, in an open carry state.
They were not storming the capital.
And if a group of Muslim men had wanted the same sort of rally? You really think it would have gone down the same way? Really?

AxelAnnie

And if a group of Muslim men had wanted the same sort of rally? You really think it would have gone down the same way? Really?
I don't know why not. Any recognized group can apply for a permit to have a rally....

If the Nazi's can march in Skokie............what can I say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information