Good Night, Bad Dreams

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Four months into all this, I've noticed my insomnia is about the same as it always has been, but I'm having more bad dreams and difficulty falling back asleep after waking up during the night. Because I'm retired (after a lifetime of self-employment), I don't have to get up at any particular time but generally I get through life with a reasonably set pattern. That seems to have vanished as well- I wake up too early or (more often) sleep too late.

We don't seem to have a thread about sleeping issues, and I couldn't figure out where else to slip one in. And since I'm curious to learn if other people are noticing problems, I decided to start one. Thanks in advance.

clairecloutier

I have been struggling a bit with insomnia--not being able to fall asleep at night. I'm often really tired during the day, but then feel too alert to fall asleep at night. This has been over the past month or so. (Of course, when I read the news at night, that doesn't help. :wall: ) I'm also definitely having more bad dreams than usual.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I've had problems over the years, usually with waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep for hours. I won't list all the tips you'll find in a quick google search, but one thing that almost always works for me is doing a puzzle, like a crossword or other pencil puzzle.

People have told me that's a stupid idea because it's too stimulating, but in my case it helps me narrow my thoughts down to one thing, and after awhile of working on it and staring at the page I get sleepy, drop it on the floor and I'm back to sleep.

I sometimes save the puzzle page from the New York Times Sunday magazine, and there's always the Dell and other puzzle books you can get on a magazine rack or the supermarket checkout. I think actual paper and pen (or pencil!) is important, because then you avoid the bright screen of a device and the temptation to check email and social pages, which would work against the idea of narrowing your thoughts down to one thing.

Good luck.

once_upon

Voter
I've had sleeping problems for years. My husband last night said he couldnt understand why I can fall asleep in my recliner downstairs but am wide awake when I come upstairs.

I use melatonin sometimes.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I wake up in the middle of the night more than I used to when I was younger but I don't consider myself to have a sleep problem as I mostly get enough.

The problem I am having is that since I don't have to commute to work anymore and usually my first meeting of the day isn't until 10 or 11 am, I don't really have to get up at any particular time. So my bedtime has slipped later and later and so has my corresponding getting up time.

This is not really good because (a) as we get back more into regular activities, I need to get up earlier (i.e., I have a group exercise class at 8 am on Weds. and friends who go running as early as 6:40am) and (b) the later I get up, the longer I have to work that day to get my stuff done.

For falling asleep, sometimes I use melatonin and sometimes I count backward from 100. Or backward by 7.

once_upon

Voter
Counting backwards from 100 doesnt work for me as I often will do 400 sets before I give up and just get up.

I have had several dreams that i get ********* or even worse my husband gets it.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I have always had insomnia problems, so I don't count.

But most people I know are having sleeping problems now, including people who typically haven't had any problems in the past, and I've seen a number of articles about this being a widespread problem.

If this survey is anything to go by, you have a lot of company.

flyingsit

I’ve been waking up around 4 am the past few days. Not good. And I am physically unable to nap.

Vagabond

I've been having plenty of nights where I wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Sometimes, but not always, I have a bad dream just before I wake up.

This morning, for example, I dreamed that Tonya Harding was elected President. :eek: :scream:

Cachoo

YouTube has solved my insomnia: That music aimed for the sleep-deprived puts me out beautifully. The more ambient sounds and the less musical the better.

PRlady

I used to be a champion sleeper but now am frequently up for a hour in the middle of the night. I go into the living room to read. The problem is I get the munchies which is not contributing to needed weight-loss, and on work days I’m tired out by 3 in the afternoon.

Vagabond

Oh, by the way, taking melatonin barely increases the amount of time one sleeps -- by only about 14 minutes a night. Also, it has side effects. For me, they were a rash and nightmares. No, thank you.

Last edited:

quartz

almost, but not quite
I’m still on my life-time usual of 4-5 hours a night, sometimes 5-6, and once in a blue moon, 7-8.
Dreams are also still the usual non-sensical and weirdly entertaining, although I am unfortunately remembering them less upon waking.

I don’t really have bad/scary dreams, more freaky and peculiar, like if Alice and her ensemble fell down the rabbit hole, met up with Willow Ufgood, and Madmartigan, stop off for drinks at the disco, a quick side trip through Mirkwood, adding a few dwarves and hobbits into the mix, perhaps a jaunt to search for Nessie and beach glass, then ending up at the Grand Budapest Hotel, now run by the Monty Python gang and Julie Andrews. Sometimes I do amazing things, like a cool painting or crafts, or behave in a confident manner - things I cannot do in real life. There are always good tunes, great costumes, fun and rowdiness, but sadly, very little sex. 🤷‍♀️
I take nothing to attempt to sleep more, my nights are busy enough as it is. :p

Kansas has a song called Closet Chronicles, one of the lines is “Daydreams filled his night times, and night dreams filled his days - confusion and uncertainty, a puzzled mind of haze” which is pretty much my brain all the time. :shuffle:

Susan1

Last night I dreamed something about being at a hospital with offices and I came OUT of a room in the office area without a mask and they went to get me one but never came back. I said I had one in my car. Then I didn't want to get in the elevator with other people who didn't have on masks either without one so I tried going through other doors and couldn't find my way back to where I started. I remembered it clearly when I woke up after just a couple hours sleep.

I always have trouble sleeping anyway. I fall asleep too early, then have the t.v. on till 2 a.m. and as soon as I start to fall asleep, I turn it off and can't go back to sleep. Before I had ATT Uverse, I could use the timer on my t.v. I'd put it at 30 minutes and turn the sound down and turn over and be asleep before it went off. But now if you do that (and I'd have to use a separate remote) it doesn't turn off the cable box so there is a green light shining on it that wakes me up anyway.

Sometimes taking a tylenol around 10:00 works. Sometimes it doesn't. And then there are the night sweats. My feet are so cold with socks on, they hurt and my head is soaked with sweat. I have to keep my hands under a sheet because the fan hurts my knuckles and wrists. I'd love to take something to knock me out every single night, but I wouldn't be able to make it to the bathroom in time when I wake up at 4:30 or 5. (Everybody give me sad faces now. ha ha)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information