George Santos

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I wonder whether the Republicans in the House can do the same thing. Keeping Santos in their caucus until the last possible moment puts the heat on the party, when it should be on him.
I think the equivalent here is being on committees. I've heard/read both that McCarthy is going to put him on committees and that he isn't. I hope it's the latter.

ballettmaus

I think the equivalent here is being on committees. I've heard/read both that McCarthy is going to put him on committees and that he isn't. I hope it's the latter.
Last I heard was McCarthy saying Santos shouldn't be on top committees. I've never seen a quote of McCarthy's that he won't seat Santos on any at all.

caseyedwards

“Democrat Zimmerman did not hold news conferences or use paid advertising to draw attention to known discrepancies in his opponent’s record.”

Democrats too not just republicans

Republicans wanted state senator Jack Martins to run. He didn’t.

Vagabond

Santos’s Lies Were Known to Some Well-Connected Republicans https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/13/...wqWjr4oAx3TyEPPf3FLEP1rNEb-BVRCG8ASd7lDnMf8lQ

Unless I botched things up, this should be a gifted article, with the link valid for two weeks.

In late 2021, as he prepared to make a second run for a suburban New York City House seat, George Santos gave permission for his campaign to commission a routine background study on him....

Some of Mr. Santos’s own vendors were so alarmed after seeing the study in late November 2021 that they urged him to drop out of the race, and warned that he could risk public humiliation by continuing

There has been some discussion in this thread about why pathological liars lie. Maybe they crave humiliation. :unsure:

Amy L

I was referring to the latter. Someone posted a link on Twitter to something called The Intellectualist and they're referring to 10 victims who are supposedly sharing their stories in a group chat in the bit that you can see on Twitter but I never heard of it, so I'm not sure how accurate the information is.
I think this may be one of the articles that has been mentioned. I finally was able to track down the writer since she's been doing the rounds on TV lately.

Vagabond

This has been touched on in some of the New York Times articles linked upthread, but academic institutions, employers, and the like are more reticent about cooperating with a politician's opponents than with the media, and the media have cut back on staffing. Regardless of whether the media or the Democrats and the medi could have done more, the Republican Party and their donors should have vetted Santos thoroughly, but the only thing that was thorough was their failure to do so.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

It is not the job of the Democrats to vet Republican Candidates that is the job of the Republican party. If the Republicans insist on nominating pathological liers like Trump and Santos then they should stew in their own mess
Of course it is the job of democrats. They had an opportunity to win the seat. They held the seat. It was a democratic seat. Of course it was their job to vet the Republican for weaknesses. Some of The republicans tried to get Santos to drop out. It didn’t work. They tried to get Jack Martins a hugely popular Republican state senator to run. He didn’t want to run. So ironic he didn’t want to deal with democrats negative ads. Parties don’t have any power to forcibly remove candidates from races. In 2016 after access Hollywood both Paul Ryan and Mitch mcconnel said trump needs to leave the race. They had no power to make it happen. None. Both Ryan and mcconnel would go on to vote for Hillary

caseyedwards

This has been touched on in some of the New York Times articles linked upthread, but academic institutions, employers, and the like are more reticent about cooperating with a politician's opponents than with the media, and the media have cut back on staffing. Regardless of whether the media or the Democrats and the medi could have done more, the Republican Party and their donors should have vetted Santos thoroughly, but the only thing that was thorough was their failure to do so.
They did. And then they tried to recruit Jack Martins but failed and then were stuck.

canbelto

There's not much anyone can do to get him to resign. I do think though that he's so radioactive that there's no way he gets a second term.

caseyedwards

And it’s much better for him to be in office than waiting to be arrested somewhere! But there’s no reason for democrats and so many republicans to try to organize expulsion vote. I have to see if an expulsion vote can be done by discharge petition

Amy L

There's not much anyone can do to get him to resign. I do think though that he's so radioactive that there's no way he gets a second term.
McCarthy needs his vote in a slim majority House. The only thing that will keep him from serving his full two years is if he can't control his klepto urges and starts pawning those eagle sconces that Scott Perry held "architectural tours" for prior to 1/6...

Vagabond

Santos could get expelled from Congress if he is found to gave violated campaign finance laws. It would be in McCarthy's interest to have this happen sooner rather than later, except that there is no guarantee that a Republican would win the special election.

caseyedwards

Based on all evidence Suozzi is already running again! Daunting! And there’s really only one other Republican who was thought could win. I mean the district voted for Biden and is in NY. Santos was the nominee/ expected loser for a reason. Maybe him winning would encourage Jack Martins but he doesn’t want to run against Suozzi. Other republicans could look at it

Last edited:

caseyedwards

The cousin is an American. So many of these “Russians” have turned out to be Americans. Should you not get citizenship if you are from former Soviet Union? Very very easy to get citizenship for many people from former Soviet union. Easiest thing in the world to do. Over and over they say “I’m from former Soviet Union” and the whole United States government bent over backwards to make them citizens. Now they are attacked for being Russian when they are American. Democrats can introduce bills to ban non natives from donating money

Last edited:

Amy L

So it turns out that his mother was living in Brazil from 1999-2003, therefore she definitely wasn't in the South Tower -- she wasn't even in the same country as the 9/11 attacks.

Her immigration paperwork also lists her parents as having both been born in Brazil, which proves what ancestry researchers have been digging up. The only thing in the paperwork that proves one of his statements being true is that his family lived in a basement apartment in Queens when he was born.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information