Gavin Newsom

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Who is that?
It's youtuber Kevin Paffrath. I cringed at the youtuber designation, but I read his ideas for dealing with homelessness, etc., and they seemed reasonable to me. I had to choose someone (because we have to assume Newsom could be recalled - the polling on that looks "Eek!" :( ), and I wanted to choose someone with at least a chance of defeating any Republican contenders, as opposed to no chance.

MacMadame

Staying at home
ut I read his ideas for dealing with homelessness, etc., and they seemed reasonable to me.
It's his ideas for dealing with homelessness that makes him a completely unacceptable candidate to me. He's basically going to set up internment camps for them. He's looney tunes on other issues as well.

MacMadame

Staying at home
And yet, Angelyne is trailing Kevin Paffrath in the polls. :huh:
I'm shocked! ;)

Paffrath is getting votes because he has a D after his name and people have heard of him. All of these candidates are pretty bad and most would make a terrible governor (the rest would be mediocre but not terrible). I really, really hope that Newsom doesn't get recalled.

I find it interesting that there are polls are showing it might happen. Everyone I talk to including my more conservative neighbors thinks the recall is stupid and a waste of money and that Newsom might not be the best governor in the world but he's not the worst either. They are all going to vote against the recall including the Republicans.

Given that even people who are meh towards Newsom aren't going to vote for the recall, who are all these people who supposedly are? I wonder if the current poll models are adequately taking into consideration that we are having universal mail-in ballots again. You don't have to be particularly excited about voting to fill it in and drop it in your mailbox for pickup. This changes who is a "likely voter".

jamesy

cake boss
I live in an area where people are excited about the recall and getting Newsom out. My no vote is going to easily get washed away and I hope there are more people like in @MacMadame ’s circle who can keep this from happening.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I live in an area where people are excited about the recall and getting Newsom out. My no vote is going to easily get washed away and I hope there are more people like in @MacMadame ’s circle who can keep this from happening.
I'm sure there are areas like that but the state is largely Dem and if even GOP members think the whole thing is stupid, I'm wondering where all these "likely voters" are that are going to vote Yes and not No and how there can be so many of them to make the vote close.

The only way I can see the vote being close is if pretty much ALL the No people are just too apathetic to even fill out a ballot. I could see it if they had to go to the polls. But the ballot comes to you, you fill it out and drop it off. You can even just stick it in your mailbox with the flag up.

So I'm just not getting these polls. Especially when the choices to replace are so horrible.

love skating

Clueless American
Yeah, I sure hope it's not as close as these polls have said. Hoping instead it's a landslide of No's. Still can't decide if I should write in the Lt. Gov. or pick a dem on the ballot.

jamesy

cake boss
I hope the polls are wrong and it’s not close at all and doesn’t go through. All I am speaking of is how it looks in some areas that lean R. For months there was a pop-up tent collecting signatures outside the Hobby Lobby (shocker) and the Yes on Recall signs are now everywhere. With all that around, it can be hard to remember there is a lot more of the state out there that can stop this from happening.

Vagabond

SkateSand

Cat Servant
It's his ideas for dealing with homelessness that makes him a completely unacceptable candidate to me. He's basically going to set up internment camps for them. He's looney tunes on other issues as well.
It didn't sound like internment camps to me. It sounded like housing. Around here, the idea of "handling" homelessness is to run the poor people off whatever land they were on and destroying their possessions. And to keep doing it over and over relentlessly in the hope they will move to another part of the state and it becomes someone else's problem.

In any case, I don't think he has a hope in heaven - if Newsom is recalled, it will be one of front-running Republicans who will replace him. (sigh)

MacMadame

Staying at home
It didn't sound like internment camps to me.
He's going to have the National Guard round up all the homeless in CA and put them in one of eight camps. Given that there are 58 counties in CA, we're talking about rounding people up (by armed people) and moving them far, far away from their residence. Given that most homeless people park themselves where they are from, most likely this will put them far away from any potential support system they may still have.

Places that have had success with ending homelessness have done it by giving the homeless homes. There is no need to bring in the National Guard and move them far away from their residence.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
He's going to have the National Guard round up all the homeless in CA and put them in one of eight camps. Given that there are 58 counties in CA, we're talking about rounding people up (by armed people) and moving them far, far away from their residence. Given that most homeless people park themselves where they are from, most likely this will put them far away from any potential support system they may still have.

Places that have had success with ending homelessness have done it by giving the homeless homes. There is no need to bring in the National Guard and move them far away from their residence.
Wow - I didn't see that.

caseyedwards

No doubt about it democrats are in extreme total panic and doing all their regular panic things. The Republican is evil racist and sexist like Romney McCain Bush. They have their cnn kfile stories and all the columnists being “evil Racist and sexist!”

skatingguy

Golden Team
No doubt about it democrats are in extreme total panic and doing all their regular panic things. The Republican is evil racist and sexist like Romney McCain Bush. They have their cnn kfile stories and all the columnists being “evil Racist and sexist!”
Do you have an head injury? I know I've asked this before, but I really do wonder if you're struggling with post concussion syndrome or something because you're really not making any sense here. In all seriousness, talk to your doctor, maybe get a ct scan, or just sit in a dark quiet room for a while and see if the symptoms get better. Take care of yourself. 🙁

Vagabond

Having already mailed in my ballot, I received my Official Voter Information Guide today.

Kevin Paffrath failed to submit a candidate statement. Even fringe candidates know enough to submit a candidate statement. :shuffle:

Angelyne's says, "Billboard Queen. Icon. Experienced politician." That's more honest than most. :)

And here's something from Paffrath's Wikipedia page:
Paffrath made numerous YouTube videos criticizing the business model of real estate personality Grant Cardone. In an effort to bring more attention to his other videos, in 2018 Paffrath delivered flowers to Cardone's office staff while dressed as a Christmas elf, reportedly running through Cardone's offices. Paffrath was charged with trespassing and disorderly conduct, but the charges were later dismissed. In a May 2021 interview with KTXL discussing his gubernatorial candidacy, Paffrath expressed regret for the "YouTube prank" and said he had gotten "carried away with the entertainment aspect of YouTube"
:rolleyes:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I live deep in MAGA country so, of course, they are all in on the recall. And they bring it up on Facebook no matter how tenuous the connection is (original poster: "We were told to leave the evacuation center by the local sheriffs who said they would arrest us if we didn't!!!!" replying poster: "It's all Newscum's fault - recall the %*$#@!!!!!"). :rolleyes: I'm just hoping that because it's so freaking easy to vote in California that people will actually vote. "If we vote, we win" is my mantra. ;)

caseyedwards

Do you have an head injury? I know I've asked this before, but I really do wonder if you're struggling with post concussion syndrome or something because you're really not making any sense here. In all seriousness, talk to your doctor, maybe get a ct scan, or just sit in a dark quiet room for a while and see if the symptoms get better. Take care of yourself. 🙁
Educate yourself

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information