Gavin Newsom

olympic

Newsom did / is doing something quite interesting. He nationalized the recall and scared CA voters with examples of recent R behavior in FL and TX, something generally Rs do to Ds in election season. It seem to be working ... This is something my election whisperer stated was a winning strategy that Ds often mess up.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
So the county just south of ours, which is just as red or maybe even redder, has a ballot snafu where some of the ballots can't be read due to printing glitch. The election officials have explained that it only affected a few ballots and they have a bipartisan committee of four who will check each ballot, make a duplicate, verify it is correct, and submit it. All four will sign off on each ballot. It will have the same serial number as the original ballot so it can be tracked and matched. Has this stopped the screaming of "Fraud!!! Dems cheating again!!!!" Of course not... :rolleyes:

Louis

Private citizen
I'm encouraged that all of my late-deciding friends are breaking in favor of recalling Newsom. Obviously, a self-selecting and convenience sample, but a few of my reliably Democratic African-American / Black friends in California have announced on social media that they've voted to recall, and I'm surprised at the number of positive comments on their feeds.

While I would love to see Newsom given the boot :kickass:, I think that's a real longshot. My hope is at least 45%+ voting for recall, with significant loss of support in traditional Democratic constituencies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Newsom did / is doing something quite interesting. He nationalized the recall and scared CA voters with examples of recent R behavior in FL and TX, something generally Rs do to Ds in election season. It seem to be working ... This is something my election whisperer stated was a winning strategy that Ds often mess up.
The Ds better start learning from R strategy. The risk to the country is far too great for them to stand back and make stupid mistakes.

MacMadame

Staying at home
The Ds better start learning from R strategy. The risk to the country is far too great for them to stand back and make stupid mistakes.
I'm now thinking that the strategy of not having a strong Dem candidate is brilliant. It makes it that much more important to vote No if you don't want a shitshow like Larry Elder as governor.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
So the county just south of ours, which is just as red or maybe even redder, has a ballot snafu where some of the ballots can't be read due to printing glitch. The election officials have explained that it only affected a few ballots and they have a bipartisan committee of four who will check each ballot, make a duplicate, verify it is correct, and submit it. All four will sign off on each ballot. It will have the same serial number as the original ballot so it can be tracked and matched. Has this stopped the screaming of "Fraud!!! Dems cheating again!!!!" Of course not... :rolleyes:
And just where have we heard this before?

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
And just where have we heard this before?
Um, Larry Elder has not really been campaigning the last few days and has ALREADY set up a website and phone source claiming election fraud. Before the election is even final. Because that is the NEW GOP: "If we win, the results are fair. If we lose, IT'S FRAUD!!!!" And of course, he won't say he will accept the election results. The Trump Playbook, 101.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-recall-gop-frontrunner-larry-202404360.html

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
My takeaway from the California recall is 1.5 million signatures (on the umpteenth try) in a state of over 38 million residents gets to hijack things and wreak destruction on the rest of the voters and the process. They support the complete waste of taxpayer millions for this recall election, when clearly the most economical and sensible option is to simply vote him out of office next year. Of course, this would not permit petition signers to rant and rave about his behavior going maskless at a dinner party in wine country along with "stolen" elections, which makes the waste of all those funds totally worth it! I agree it was unacceptable for him to be maskless, among other things, but it's an extreme response.

On top of this, the political careerists, ad purveyors, fundraisers etc all want their piece of the pie. Now that all these different groups have seen how much they can get over on everyone and make millions and millions as the in-between campaign dollars rain down on all of them, it'll probably turn into an every gubenatorial election event.

I could be overly pessimistic as someone who lives in a state that has crooks and future felons from the Statehouse and their supporters making every dollar they can inside and outside the hallowed walls until the journalists and other voters finally figure out their scams. But I don't consider these things democracy at work.

Last edited:

jamesy

cake boss
The last time they showed the state map my county was still showing as grey. My county tends to vote red (though did end up blue for Biden) so I'm curious how the numbers play out for this vote.

VGThuy

The last time they showed the state map my county was still showing as grey. My county tends to vote red (though did end up blue for Biden) so I'm curious how the numbers play out for this vote.
I'd be interested to see how it turns out too.

VGThuy

I remember growing up hearing about how California Republicans were just so different from the Republicans I grew up with in that they were just pro-business and more libertarian than socially conservative and into controlling women's bodies or being racist, homophobic, etc. With Elder coming on as the top opponent to Newsom with this recall, I have to truly wonder if that conventional wisdom is no longer true and they're all part of the bananas (B-A-N-A-N-A-S) boat now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information