Gavin Newsom

Vagabond

In order to avoid any further clogging up of the Andrew Cuomo thread with news about Gavin Newsom, I am opening a thread that's all about him.

canbelto

Politico has a few more breathless stories about this:

MacMadame

Staying at home
I found this to be a very interesting take on the recall effort.

Excerpts:

With California likely headed for another election to recall its governor, one question is on the minds of voters and pundits: Will Gavin Newsom be the next Gray Davis?

But maybe they should be asking: Will Newsom be the next Scott Walker?

The Republican former governor of Wisconsin is pretty much the political opposite of Newsom, who positions himself as the leader of a progressive “nation-state.” But the unsuccessful attempt by Democrats and labor unions to recall Walker in 2012 now looks like a mirror image of the push to oust Newsom — and shares more in common with the present-day recall than the one that cost Democrat Davis his job as the Golden State’s governor in 2003.

A single issue has largely driven both the Newsom and Walker recall campaigns: In California it’s Newsom’s handling of the ********* *********, while in Wisconsin it was legislation Walker championed that decimated the collective bargaining power of public-employee unions.

and

Plenty of Wisconsin Democrats now believe their recall attempt of Walker backfired.

“Not only did he win the recall, not only did he then go on to win re-election,” said Paul Maslin, a Madison political consultant, “but it ended up giving him a pretense for becoming a national figure.”

olympic

My election whisperer Rachel Bitecofer tweeted a poll 56-40 against recall this past week. Her comment was the recall 'ain't happening' because, 'this ain't the early 2000s' [reference to Gray Davis and Schwarzenegger] and hyper-partisanship means Ds would rather embrace a flawed Newsom than a Republican

caseyedwards

They don’t have to choose a Republican at all. Why don’t they just choose a different democrat? One who doesn’t violate his own orders and considers themselves above the law? Newsom is a nothing. He is meaningless. He is not talented unique or smart. Because it’s California millions of other democrats are more qualified to be governor. No reason whatsoever to keep supporting newsom

Judy

Is this because he went to the restaurant thingie? For sure poor judgement but we had a LOT of politicians in Canada get in major shit (one major one fired in my province) for travelling while they were telling us all to stay at home etc.

Vagabond

Is this because he went to the restaurant thingie? For sure poor judgement but we had a LOT of politicians in Canada get in major shit (one major one fired in my province) for travelling while they were telling us all to stay at home etc.
It's because Republicans donors have nothing better to do with their money and because Republican voters, especially in rural, isolated areas in the eastern extremities of the state can't stand the fact that they are not typical of Californians as a whole.

caseyedwards

It’s more than that. It’s his anti science in keeping schools closed too. The fact that he is still keeping businesses closed while allowing others that do the exact same thing. Like the case of the restaurant that was closed next to a movie set that opened its own restaurant! Ridiculous anti science rules

MacMadame

Staying at home
They've been trying to recall him since before he was elected. CV just gave them something concrete to hang their hat on.

olympic

They've been trying to recall him since before he was elected. CV just gave them something concrete to hang their hat on.
Thing is - If life improves in CA via vaccinations being handled by a Democratic Administration in a blue state w/ jobs returning (to some extent at least), what exactly are people going to be angry about ?

Vagabond

Thing is - If life improves in CA via vaccinations being handled by a Democratic Administration in a blue state w/ jobs returning (to some extent at least), what exactly are people going to be angry about ?
They will be angry (1) that life improved and (2) that a Democratic Administration did it by implementing liberal programs.

caseyedwards

The people signing the recall aren’t all republicans. Republicans have no belief that they will win the governorship. Most people signing assume a different liberal governor would be replacement

MacMadame

Staying at home
They will be angry (1) that life improved and (2) that a Democratic Administration did it by implementing liberal programs.
But "they" are 40% of the voters. Unless they convince some Dems to vote with them, they aren't going to get the Governor recalled!

MacMadame

Staying at home

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
They don’t have to choose a Republican at all. Why don’t they just choose a different democrat? One who doesn’t violate his own orders and considers themselves above the law? Newsom is a nothing. He is meaningless. He is not talented unique or smart. Because it’s California millions of other democrats are more qualified to be governor. No reason whatsoever to keep supporting newsom
Because this is California. We don't think straight. And no it is not merely because he had a little party at The French Laundry. He is a cautionary tale.

Vagabond

More coverage from Politico.

Republicans believe the recall election lends a platform to make their case both to would-be voters and prospective donors who had written off California as a lost cause.
They also believe that you-know-what is a hoax. :shuffle:

AxelAnnie

OK - After listening to the lovely Maxine Waters (CA Dem) in Minnesota asking for violence I have a recommendation for the USA. Get California out of the union! I think the country would be better off.

AxelAnnie

I read her statement. She absolutely did not call for violence in any way.
Um yeah she did. I will find the link from CNN
hope we get a verdict that says guilty, guilty, guilty," she said in response to reporters' questions. "And if we don't, we cannot go away. We've got to stay on the street. We get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

And she has always been thus. On May 4, 1992 she said in support of Watts Riots "The fact of the matter is, Whether we like it or not, riot is the voice of the unheard"

She is a congresswoman from California. What in the world is she doing in Minnesota anyway. Who paid for that?

Did you listen to the closing arguments today? Whatever the verdict IMO it will be turned over on appeal....in large part because of Waters. The jury was not sequestered. The judge simply told them not to watch the news. He did not tell them to stay away from newspapers, computers, websites. Just don't watch the news.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information