Gala

Thread starter #1
Ratings
The sun is shining for the first time in days, and we're in an ice rink :)

No one was handing out gala sheets at the main entrance, but it doesn't start until 3.

Practice. Messing is marking in the corner while munching on something. I see Nam -- he's smiling -- , W/P (I think?), Daleman, Osmond, too, and it looks like Chan just skated on.

They're running through the EX
music. Osmond's is loud. "I don't care" is the refrain. S/B are next. There seems to be a music glitch. Something oldie show-timey. Tin Pan Alley-ish, maybe? Love how he marks the lift by sticking his arm straight up :). Messing next, but he's chatting with someone at the boards. They announce G/P. then he skates on and they re-aanounce him.

Jailhouse Rock, maybe something else before it. He's marking jumps but is doing big segments full out. Does two gignormous Russian splits, falls after the second and looks shocked. There is no music too fast for him, it seems.

G/Ps skating to something emo and snoozeworthy. I can't understand any of the lyrics.

Daleman, Latiny "Save The Last Dance for Me.". Ends on a split mid-ice. Next Chan. No idea what it is. V/M and D/R must be closing the first half.

Spotlight people need the practice, so it's good when the skaters at least go through the pattern.

Penultimate Zamboni break of this year's Nationals.

Last edited:

lurvylurker

Ratings
Lady at the program table told me they ran out of daily skate order sheets, so are printing more and will be handing them out through the rows in the arena.

Thread starter #7
Ratings
Debra Armstrong SC CEO announcing Hall of Fame inductees.

Sarah Kawahara (professional category). They're playing a video of Kawahara speaking. Lovely photo of her with Coulson. Was Magnussen'd friend and roommate. Wanted to stay in after performances. TV opportunities -- golden age -- after Harding and Kerrigan. Didn't think she was a match for Harding when asked pre-whack, but ironically worked with her through I Tonya movie. Never thought it would happen because she wasn't a skating champion. Heartfelt tribute to someone, I think Cranston. Sad he and Coulson on aren't alive to see it.

On way to ballet class at five saw skaters in an outdoor rink and became fascinated by their ribbons fluttering.

Yay to Toller, to think out of the box.

Live speech, thanks lots of people, including manager and her mothers. Met husband working on Peggy Fleming special.

Ron Vincent (builder). Video, in his own words. Coach-focused when he started. They didn't talk much to each other. Put together a course with York U profs. Became part of certifications. Proliferation of rink building meant more coaches needed, pushed courses. Jump in tech, they felt artistry was slipping, skaters now have both.

Live speech: thank SC and committee. Privileged to see some fantastic skater. He was part of Stone age of skating (pre quad), started 77 years ago. Tribute to coach Dr. Black ? (In the audience.). Talks about importance of organization, thanks thousands of volunteers across the country

dramagrrl

Ratings
I'm watching the Passing the Torch essay from yesterday (since I was at the rink live yesterday and am now back home in Toronto) and getting emo. I've watched Tessa and Scott since they were pre-novice, Patrick since he was novice, Meagan as she struggled through various partners and years of singles skating, and Eric as a junior men's competitor and then a pairs skater with his previous partners on the JGP, then as a senior. I saw Tessa and Scott win their first medal at Junior Worlds (a silver) in Kitchener in 2005, then five years later, had the privilege to be at the Pacific Coliseum live to see them win their Olympic title. This group of champions is the first group of skaters I've watched grow up as an adult and not as a starry-eyed teenaged skating fan, as I was in my Kurt Browning/Brasseur & Eisler/Bourne & Kraatz days. Watching them "graduate" makes me feel the same way I do when students who I have taught for four years and watched grow up graduate from high school and go off into the world.

And to make me even more weepy, the three "next generation" representatives they chose for the video are all favourites of mine - Julianne and Charlie are my current favourite pairs team; I have had a soft spot for Nam since he was a ten-year-old teeny tiny pre-novice, and Carolane and Shane are my Canadian dance hopes for the future (along with two-time junior champions Lajoie & Lagha). I am excited to see what this next quad brings for the young ones, but I will miss our retiring champions so, so much. :wuzrobbed

Thread starter #15
Ratings
Shae Lynne Bourne dressed as an S & M Nutcracker, in an upbeat crowd-pleasing program joined at the end by first half skaters with fake instruments by the boards boogieing off while she finished skating with a bugle.

WildRose

Ratings
Michael Jackson Medley.
Balde. :swoon:
So jealous of everyone there - Ill bet Baldé brought the house down - again. :cheer2:
The fact that this isn’t being live streamed gives me hope that CTV will eventually air it closer to the Olympics.
Balde seriously needs to be added to the cast of CSOI.

Thread starter #18
Ratings
Got the sheet. Schedule for second half:

Austman: Great Gatsby
MT/M: Glad You Came By by The Wanted
Nguyen: L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole
W/P: Unchained Melidy and The Love Inside from Ghost The Musical
Osmond: I Love It by Icona Pop
S/B: Charley My Bit by Enoch Light & The Charleston City All Stars
Messing: shake Your Tail Feathers and Jailhouse Rock from the Blues Brothers
G/P: Let It Go by James Bay
Daleman: Save the Last Dance for Me by Michael Buble (someone had to)
D/R: Piano Man by Billy Joel.
More later.

Thread starter #19
Ratings
Chan: Oh What a Night bt Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons 1st Man
V/M: Long Time Running by Tragically Hip
Finale: C'est La Vie Medley

Thread starter #20
Ratings
Messing was terrific in a tailor-made program.

I'm usually not fond of dressed up woman and casually dressed man skating to emo sappy music, but I become an utterly unglued fool for Unchained Melody, and Weaver/Poje skated to it beautifully, one of the highlights of the gala.

D/R's Piano Man was really lovely, too, and sweet because Radford is one. The chair malfunctioned at the end -- this was not how I wanted I/M to get to the Olympics -- but she seemed okay, and he mimed shooting the chair. Her dress was one of the most beautiful skating dresses I've ever seen: sleek black with a thin halter top, sides and back with illusion fabric, and two black parentheses down her back, short flared black skirt. She looked :glamor: Other skaters should be clamoring to borrow it or to get a knock-off made. Moore-Towers did a a full split in a head-banger-esque move. If Marinaro had dropped her, a circumcision would have taken place.

Here's the official list from the first half:
Reynolds: Get Dancin' by Disco-Tex and The Sex-O-Lettes. He was wearing a white loose jacket over a blue t-shirt and white bell-bottomed pants with big sparkly red flames coming up from the hem of this pants, and what may have been sparkly red maple leaves on his jacket and sleeve hems and a big curly wig.
Cotop: Get the Party Started by Shirley Bassey
Arnold/Williams: Free Dance. Their ISU bio doesn't list music. One selection had the word "falling" prominently in the lyrics.
Chartrand; A Little Swing by AronChupa
Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch: Black Velvet by Alannah Myles
Balde: Michael Jackson Medley
Soucisse/Firus: SD to Bailando/El Peredor/Let Me Be Your Lover by Enrique Iglesias
Shae-Lynne Bourne (Athletic Ambassador): Bom Bom by Sam and the Womp.

JasperBoy

Aging in a great place
Ratings
I have never seen Kevin do a comedic exhibition. I was gobsmacked. My jaw fell open and I watched the whole thing open mouthed. He even wiggled his little bum. Where has this version of Kevin Reynolds been hiding all these years?

Colleen

Ratings
I thought Weaver and Poje were fabulous. What a beautiful program. I normally don't love ballads but their performance left me a little teary.

Fun moment at the very end. Balde and Messing did backflips together while one of the other guys (Marinaro?) tried to get a pic on one of their phones. You could see they all get along.

Ratings
Great seeing Shae-lynn skate. Loved the fun program.

Cried multiple times. D/R, V/M, Chan, W/P. End of an era of great skating. Last time I will see them competing live (well not sure about W/P).

Messing and Balde are great showmen and who knew Reynolds had a bit of that in him!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)