FSU: Rank the 2020 Programs of the Year

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think we've played around with ideas like this a lot before, and I'm here to test something out that is(?) a bit different.

I've created a form for the Free Dance of the year 2020, in which you are given the task of ranking 20 free dances (the top 20 on the ISU segment best list) in whichever order you'd like- ideally, of course, it would be based on your favorite to least favorite ;)

If you want to partake and you want your ranking to count, please use your FSU name when prompted. If it automatically assigns you as a 'guest' name, click the panel where it says 'Responding as {name}' and it'll allow you to change your name.

Apparently if this garners enough responses, I am given a free month of the premium features which allow for different color-coding and presentation of the page, and I'll add in all disciplines and segments if there's enough interest.

And I know, there are certainly fan-favorite programs that aren't within the top 20 ISU scores. But I had to make a cut-off, and that's what I chose. There's a lot of moving around needed in the format on this site, so I don't want to make it too tedious. (ETA- limited to seniors)

Final note: I know a lot of the skating season is non-existent on YouTube (almost nothing from the Grand Prix or Euros, for example). I found all of these programs available in some form and watched them all earlier today.

YouTube playlist for the free dances

Last edited:

Kateri

void beast
Ranked! Trying to focus on the dances rather than the skaters, inasmuch as it's separable. Mostly deciding according to the scientific measure of "which one would I most like to watch again right now, if I had to pick"

Most missed from the senior ranking: Reed and Ambrulevičius, whose really impressed me this year. And I could make another top 20 of my fav junior dances, but we all know the Georgians would win it!

Debrah

I had trouble ranking as I had to keep starting over and was never able to finish successfully so I gave up and will try again when the site is not as busy or stops bouncing me out...So don't count my response if it actually got registered today.

J

Jeschke

That was fun, thanks @Tony Wheeler for putting that up (incl playlist).
I would really looking forward to do that for some other disciplines too.

I tried ranking the actual dance too (not my fav teams).
I really miss LTU on the list too, but I see why there had to be a cut-off. And senior Top20 SB makes sense to me.
(though @Hanna might be going all :drama: GEO was not included).

Tbh, most of the dances this season were pretty meh to me, which means 10th place downwards on my list would have been easily drop way lower with other options (or junior dances) to chose from.

Winner for me: Hawayek/Baker. Original concept/costume blew me away at Nebelhorn. They sold the shit outta it. This was so fierce! Beethoven Flamenco forever! :respec:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hanna

Skating junkie
I'm way too transparent and vocal with my taste, apparently. :p

Seriously though, this is very interesting! :) I'll have to rewatch clips of the programs before ranking them though. Apparently it's been long enough that I don't even remember all of them anymore. :eek:

C

casken

Done!

Green/Parsons and Morozov/Bagin were the big surprises for me this year.

edit: for Green/Parsons I would recommend watching Warsaw Cup since they wiped out on that lift at Nationals.

J

Jeschke

Seriously though, this is very interesting! :) I'll have to rewatch clips of the programs before ranking them though. Apparently it's been long enough that I don't even remember all of them anymore. :eek:
#figureskatingjunkie

J

Jeschke

Green/Parsons and Morozov/Bagin were the big surprises for me this year.
I agree on M/B. You can say what you want about skills and scores but the packaging (already last year) is (was) really good for them.
Iirc I had their FD ranked inside Top10 here.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Did it now, it was certainly interesting to realize how much my own (several) biases affect my opinion, even when I try to be more objective. Not even necessarily the skaters (although them too) but I've always known I'm really much affected by just the music. If I like it, there's a high chance I'll like the program even if the choreo is shit. And vice versa - if I dislike the music even a miracle is not going to make me like the program. :lol: But yeah, overall it's really interesting how many things actually make up the whole of 'liking a program'.

tony

So just a little note- it apparently stops after 25 responses. I’ve had at least 24 at this point. I’m not sure what will happen afterwards, but every time I go check, it says that ‘after a few responses, get a free month of premium features’ which then allow for unlimited responses. I just don’t know if/when that will kick in.

I hope it does, and then I’ll add other segments and disciplines since it seems this is popular enough!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Yeah, I'm currently unable to enter responses. It says "This poll is full."

Kateri

void beast
Did it now, it was certainly interesting to realize how much my own (several) biases affect my opinion, even when I try to be more objective. Not even necessarily the skaters (although them too) but I've always known I'm really much affected by just the music. If I like it, there's a high chance I'll like the program even if the choreo is shit. And vice versa - if I dislike the music even a miracle is not going to make me like the program. :lol: But yeah, overall it's really interesting how many things actually make up the whole of 'liking a program'.
It's one of the reasons you can tell that K/R's FD is so great, though, right? Because let's face it, that music is cringey and I'd hate it if the choreo and performance didn't make the dance somehow amazing.

C

casken

Hmmm, either I made a mistake or the poll somehow switched my #5 and #8 choices.

tony

Poll is now back up-- should allow for 700 responses.

I think I can manually now look at all entries as well, so I can verify for anyone if they'd like.

J

Jeschke

it was certainly interesting to realize how much my own (several) biases affect my opinion, even when I try to be more objective.
Speaking of...

Tony, I am just curious: How many of the 24 responses so far have not ranked POL FD dead last? :saint:

Hanna

Skating junkie
It's one of the reasons you can tell that K/R's FD is so great, though, right? Because let's face it, that music is cringey and I'd hate it if the choreo and performance didn't make the dance somehow amazing.
That's interesting though, because I hadn't thought the music is cringey, but then again I'd never heard that version of In The End before (I don't think) so I immediately connected the music to the cool choreo. Had I just heard the song somewhere first, I probably wouldn't have liked it. :lol: Or at least definitely not the same impact.

Tony, I am just curious: How many of the 24 responses so far have not ranked POL FD dead last? :saint:
Me :p

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
That was fun, thanks @Tony Wheeler for putting that up (incl playlist).
I would really looking forward to do that for some other disciplines too.

I tried ranking the actual dance too (not my fav teams).
I really miss LTU on the list too, but I see why there had to be a cut-off. And senior Top20 SB makes sense to me.

Tbh, most of the dances this season were pretty meh to me, which means 10th place downwards on my list would have been easily drop way lower with other options (or junior dances) to chose from.

Winner for me: Hawayek/Baker. Original concept/costume blew me away at Nebelhorn. They sold the shit outta it. This was so fierce! Beethoven Flamenco forever! :respec:
Thanks @Tony Wheeler !
Will do it later today.

Can name top-3 right now:
Hawayek/Baker
Hurtado/Khaliavin
Kazakova/Reviya (doubt they are on the list but they definitely deserve a mention)

:cheer2: I was waiting to get slammed for ranking Hawayek/Baker so high (behind C/B and G/P though)but I Am Not Alone!

And I love G/F’s astronaut FD. For the rest, if I couldn’t remember it, it didn’t rank well

skatingguy

decently
I can't remember most of the programs either. As I was working through the list I realized I was thinking Short Dance for many of the teams because they were more memorable.

1. Chock/Bates :love:
2. Fear/Gibson :love:
3. Wang/Liu :)
4. Gilles/Poirier :)
5. Papadakis/Cizeron :huh:
6. Guignard/Fabbri :love: (but only for Marco's pants)
7. Hubbell/Donohue o_O
8. Hawayek/Baker :yikes:

Can't Remember & Can't Be Bothered to Re-Watch:
Fournier Beaudry/Sorenson
Stepanova/Bukin
Lauriault/Le Gac
Lajoie/Lagha
Morozov/Bagin
Smart/Diaz
Hurtado/Khaliavin
Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Kaliszek/Spodyriev
Carreira/Ponomarenko
Zagorski/Guerreiro
Guignard/Fabbri
Green/Parsons

tony

Seems like I can't run two polls at once, so I suppose I will let this one finish up in the afternoon tomorrow. Mens short program is ready and I just have to click over to it.

Please change your user name from guest to whatever your FSU member name is- I mentioned this in the first post. A few anonymous users submitted rankings as well as a user name that has been banned from posting on FSU :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information