Food in isolation

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I'm at the point where I do not want to cook and getting in the car to go get takeout seems like it's even too much work. I have lasagna and spaghetti sauce in the freezer, but they're in the freezer because I am tired of them. I had a ham and cheese sandwich last night for dinner and for lunch today. I think that leaves me with ice cream for dinner as the only option left.

once_upon

Voter
We do takeout once a week, when we pick up groceries. At least once a week, maybe two we do delivery. Or once a week we've done outdoor patio eating. Weve always done a lot of eating out, which is why cooking every night at home during initial phase of ********* sah was really difficult.

Now that grilling season is here, it's a little easier.

aka_gerbil

I found a packet of one of those sodium-laden, nutritionally absent packages of Knorr rice mix shoved in a corner of the my food cupboard. I made it in the microwave, so not real cooking. Then I had ice cream. :D

I need to put in a grocery pick up order with some no-real-effort meals.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Mr. Mac always makes "burritos" when he doesn't want to cook. It's ground beef cooked in a skillet with Burrito spice mix. And then he reheats refried beans in the microwave and there is cheese, sour cream and salsa to mix with it. I put mine in a bowl because flour burritos are a waste of calories IMO. :D

Sometimes it's Fajitas instead of burritos. Chicken and Fajita mix i the skillet but everything else is the same.

aka_gerbil

Mr. Mac always makes "burritos" when he doesn't want to cook. It's ground beef cooked in a skillet with Burrito spice mix. And then he reheats refried beans in the microwave and there is cheese, sour cream and salsa to mix with it. I put mine in a bowl because flour burritos are a waste of calories IMO. :D

Sometimes it's Fajitas instead of burritos. Chicken and Fajita mix i the skillet but everything else is the same.

That sounds similar, but not exactly the same, as my mother's version of tacos. During grad school, a lab mate who had grown up in San Diego was horrified that I called it tacos, but darn it, that is what my mother fed me as "tacos".... It was the meal she could make in 15 minutes.

I'm working on a list for an grocery pick-up, but I have not yet managed to put much in the way of food on there yet. I usually always go through a spell in the summer when I do not want to cook, but it seems worse this year.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
It’s been hot and humid most days, and we only have aircon in the bedroom, so it’s been cold sandwiches, fruit, and ice cream or fruit bars almost every day. I’d send DH out to grill, but making him stand near the grill would be cruel.

clairecloutier

I'm roasting whole beets for the first time, and it said it would take 1 hour, and we are now at 1.5 hours, and beets still not done. Meanwhile, the non-AC'd kitchen is getting steadily hotter and hotter. And I still have 1 hour of chicken roasting to come. :biggrinbo:scream:

clairecloutier

sk8nlizard

My kids are extremely picky eaters but two easy dishes I make are chicken tacos and Korean beef.
For chicken tacos I put a Large chicken breast in the crockpot With some chicken broth and taco seasoning. Cook on high for 8 hours. Make some rice and we typically have cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, salsa and guacamole. We each make our own tortilla.

This is the Korean beef bowl - https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/

I just serve it with lettuce and we wrap in it. We done use the crushed pepper flakes, green onions or sesame seeds.

Sometimes I make chicken and noodles and if I’m feeling lazy get a rotisserie chicken, make some egg noodles and steam some broccoli.

KCC

Could not work up the energy to cook a real meal, so it was breakfast-for-dinner: French toast, bacon and a large bowl of cut up fruit. Tasty & filling, but it never feels like a real dinner. And no leftovers, so I'll have to make a plan for tomorrow.

LadyM76

I am feeling lazy so we had "Fend for yourself " night. I had cereal, my husband had cup a noodle and my daughter is having leftover tacos. I hate cooking when its warm out. I can't wait for cool, fall weather. I love soups and stews cooked in the crock pot.

once_upon

Voter
We are getting irritated by each other and dinner is a struggle anymore. Yesterday DH asked me about some enchiladas that we bought at the farmers market and suggested them for dinner. There was one, so no.

I had to unpack the freezer to get to it (of course it was on the bottom), so I asked him to choose something. I don't know what he thought I said, but zero feedback. I pulled out some salmon filets for last night. Instead we bought some wine and had a meat/cheese/fruit/olives and baguette bread.

Tonight we grilled the salmon and I sauted zucchini and squash.

We are still kind of blah about food. And I gotta figure out tomorrow's dinner.

sk8pics

Today I made more banana bread with whole wheat flour and also 6 egg muffins for breakfast (each with tomato, onion, turkey bacon, and a little cheese). My bananas were really on their last moments of viability, even though they were in the refrigerator. Tomorrow morning I’ll make some whole wheat banana pancakes. Yum.

KCC

I'm cooking things that make freezable leftovers in anticipation of having shoulder surgery this fall. Yesterday, I slow cooked a simple beef chuck roast for 10 hours, till it was fall-apart tender and added my homemade BBQ sauce. It really turned out good and I'm looking forward to having this as another meal later when cooking is difficult. When I take packages of bread and buns out of the freezer, I'll have room for leftover lasagna.

sk8pics

I was a little tired of cooking today and was supposed to get takeout with a friend, but she had to cancel. So I ordered takeout from a place closer to me that is part of the American express small business support program. I got a pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw on it. It was great! And I only ate half of it so I have lunch for tomorrow too. And Amex will give me a $5 credit for patronizing a local small business. Win, win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information