Food in isolation

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Has anyone tried Morningstar’s Incogmeato burgers? If so, how do they stack up with Impossible or Beyond Meat?

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I was looking for recipes to fit ingredients I have on hand - found one here that I didn't have everything I needed, but kind of got lost finding a ton of recipes I want to make in the future. Did NOT expect that from a site focusing on salads!

(for tonight, I ended up just eating a handful of salami slices and toasted a bagel :shuffle: )

clairecloutier

This week, I can’t even seem to put a grocery list together. It’s like I don’t even know what I want to cook or eat. So we’ve been getting expensive takeout. 🙄

hanca

Values her privacy
This week, I can’t even seem to put a grocery list together. It’s like I don’t even know what I want to cook or eat. So we’ve been getting expensive takeout. 🙄
Because I am not working at the moment, I suddenly seem to have plenty of time so I am experimenting with preparing various new food. The success rate is not very high, I would say about 50:50, but at least I am not bored with my food and don’t have times when I don’t know what I want to eat. (The only problem is that I never know ahead if it is going to be eatable).

once_upon

Voter
This is us. Even though I use Home Chef for three meals, we've gotten bored with them. I dont know if they are experiencing a shortage of beef and pork, but most of the selections are chicken. I think three weeks ago my husband rebelled. We are skipping next next three weeks. So now I gotta find replacement for chicken.

Its summer, and growing up in Nebraska we have steaks once a week. He wants burgers, I'm not a big burger person (at least not now).

Its grocery day. I have no idea what to fix, that we might actually eat.

I get meal prep fatigue every few weeks. For the most part I like preparing meals but I need breaks Or it becomes a chore I resent. If I’m feeling uninspired when I sit down to make my weekly meal plan/shopping list I’ll plan for a couple of nights of take out and call it self-care. I also have a list of really quick meals I don’t have to think about with things I typically have on hand to draw from when I just can’t deal with preparing a meal.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
We have a set routine of things to eat and buy, but yeah, meal fatigue is REAL. We've been making it a regular thing to order takeout on Friday nights to support our neighborhood restaurants.

clairecloutier

I like cooking too, but yes, every once in a while I just reach a dead end in terms of meal planning.

@made_in_canada Care to share any of your relatively quick regular meal ideas?? :) This is exactly the kind of thing I need right now! The next couple weeks are going to be hot & humid here, and we currently don't have air conditioning in our kitchen, so I can't bear the thought of trying any long or prep-heavy recipes.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Much as my husband and I love to cook and I could tell you we're eating gourmet meals every night, sometimes we're just too tired or it's too hot to think about turning the oven on, and that's why last night we split a box Kraft Dinner (Mac n Cheese for Americans) in front of the tv. I did add bacon, cherry tomatoes and green onions :)

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
@clairecloutier As the temps climb, we like to do a bunch of advance meal prep that can be stored in the fridge and reheated with the microwave as needed. So we'll roast up a ton of veggies and tofu/vegan meatballs, cook a large batch of rice, and whip up a couple of sauces that can be mixed accordingly.

Jenny

From the Bloc
For those who enjoy rice, I highly recommend getting yourself a rice cooker if you don't already have one. Takes all the guesswork out of getting any kind of rice right every time, no need to turn the stove on, easy to clean too.

Ours is a small Black and Decker model, cost maybe CAD 35, and we use it all, the, time. Works well for any kind of rice including wild or brown (we love California-style short grain rice), and it's easy to make pilaf-styles (Mexican rice and Jamaican peas and rice are favourites of ours) if you are careful not to overload the extras, saving some until the end so it doesn't mess up the weight/temperature mechanism it works on. Plus bonus, set it and forget it early in the day, and you've got rice ready to do a quick stir fry that night.

clairecloutier

I do have some standby "quick" meals (the only problem is, I've made all of them several times recently and need something new). Some of mine are:

-- Store-bought cheese ravioli with tomato sauce & frozen vegetable (this one, I only make when I have some of my own homemade tomato sauce in the freezer)

-- Goya black bean soup, served with rice, chopped onion & tomatoes, grated cheese, lime juice, frozen corn

-- Skillet pork chops, baked sweet potatoes (hardly any prep, although they take a while to bake), frozen veg

-- Skillet fish, quinoa or rice side, frozen veg

-- Quesadillas with beans, rice, cheese, tomato, red pepper, onion, lime

-- Occasionally, grilled cheese with Campbells tomato soup

Last edited:

Lizziebeth

This is us. Even though I use Home Chef for three meals, we've gotten bored with them. I dont know if they are experiencing a shortage of beef and pork, but most of the selections are chicken. I think three weeks ago my husband rebelled. We are skipping next next three weeks. So now I gotta find replacement for chicken.

Its summer, and growing up in Nebraska we have steaks once a week. He wants burgers, I'm not a big burger person (at least not now).

Its grocery day. I have no idea what to fix, that we might actually eat.
I end up making SO whatever kind of meat he wants such as pork or sausage. I make myself something else. We eat the same sides, such as salad, potato or vegetables. This works very well and everyone is happy.

acraven

Life is a lot easier when you have only yourself to please.

I'm keeping a bag of individually-frozen, de-veined shrimp in the freezer. It doesn't take long to defrost one serving under running water, then I saute them (sometimes with garlic) and take some veggies out of the freezer.

When I grocery shop I buy lots of veggies. I like to have a variety of flavorful veggies on hand so my meals aren't boring even if they are based on plain protein (like a roasted chicken from the supermarket). It's a real pain to have to do all the veggie prep within a day or two, but once it's done, I have enough to last many weeks. I adore fresh tomatoes, so that's an easy veggie option I don't mind eating more than once a day; it's just a matter of getting to a farmer's market at least weekly.

There's a great vegetarian taco place about 1-1/2 miles away. I bought 2 dozen of its homemade corn tortillas and froze them. So far I've made bean tacos (using their beans), portobello mushroom tacos and breakfast tacos (eggs, onion and pepper). I've been keeping feta on hand for the tacos since my supermarket doesn't have Mexican cheese.

I really need to make some tomatillo salsa, which I think would freeze well, but I haven't gotten motivated to do that yet.

sk8pics

I get tired of cooking every few weeks as well. From my shopping trip earlier this week, I have salad greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots, and I bought some hummus. So one meal every day is some combination of those, or all of them. I have been wrapping the hummus with veggies in a tortilla and then making a side salad. I will be tired of that by next week, but I’ll also be done with them all. Tonight I am going to make a chicken crescent roll. Some of that will get frozen for later use; I’ll be very busy the last week of the month and won’t have time to cook at all, so I’ll need meals I can just pop in the microwave. I keep browsing on line recipes for new ideas, and the NYTimes cooking site has a lot of recipes that are free right now.

once_upon

Voter
I do have some standby "quick" meals (the only problem is, I've made all of them several times recently and need something new). Some of mine are:

-- Store-bought cheese ravioli with tomato sauce & frozen vegetable (this one, I only make when I have some of my own homemade tomato sauce in the freezer)

-- Goya black bean soup, served with rice, chopped onion & tomatoes, grated cheese, lime juice, frozen corn

-- Skillet pork chops, baked sweet potatoes (hardly any prep, although they take a while to bake), frozen veg

-- Skillet fish, quinoa or rice side, frozen veg

-- Quesadillas with beans, rice, cheese, tomato, red pepper, onion, lime

-- Occasionally, grilled cheese with Campbells tomato soup
Because of our usual life style - more eating out during the summer since the weather is nice and we can walk to restaurants - my go to foods are more winter food.

Chilli, cheesy potato soup, cheesy brocolli soup, beef enchiladas etc.

During summer I like bacon and tomato sandwiches but DH has been eating those for lunches.

Summer go to foods are usually on the grill (steaks and burgers). He is expanding a bit and we have had pork chops, chicken breast, salmon.

I like cooking too, but yes, every once in a while I just reach a dead end in terms of meal planning.

@made_in_canada Care to share any of your relatively quick regular meal ideas?? :) This is exactly the kind of thing I need right now! The next couple weeks are going to be hot & humid here, and we currently don't have air conditioning in our kitchen, so I can't bear the thought of trying any long or prep-heavy recipes.

Salsa chicken is one I do quite often. If I'm really lazy I just do chicken and salsa and forget about opening up a can of beans and measuring out corn. Sometimes I put it over rice, other times in a tortilla with sour cream and cheese.

Maple dijon drumsticks is another stupid easy one that everyone likes.

Peanut sesame noodles is slightly more prep but still very quick and easy and really tasty. I just don't always remember to keep rice noodles on hand because I don't use them that often.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
My husband and I split dinner cooking chores by alternating weeks. We each are responsible for our own breakfast and/or lunch except for weekends. On weekends, I prepare breakfast on Saturday for both of us and he prepares breakfast on Sunday for both of us. We each do our own grocery shopping. It's nice having that whole week off to let someone else do all the work of having to come up with dinner, and you also don't feel like you are cooking every night because you aren't.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Much as my husband and I love to cook and I could tell you we're eating gourmet meals every night, sometimes we're just too tired or it's too hot to think about turning the oven on, and that's why last night we split a box Kraft Dinner (Mac n Cheese for Americans) in front of the tv. I did add bacon, cherry tomatoes and green onions :)
Because of FSU and the Bare Naked Ladies, it will always be Kraft Dinner to this American. :lol:

Mr. Mac will add bacon to it but never vegetables. :drama:

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
We don’t have central air, so cooking is out any day the outside temp is over 85F. We’ve been surviving on tuna salads, sushi, antipasto and cold sandwiches. If it’s not too humid, I can get Ogg (my husband’s alter ego) to grill something, but we haven’t had proper grilling weather in weeks.

once_upon

Voter
@made_in_canada one of my staples when the kids were growing up was barbeque chicken legs. Pour a bottle of bbq sauce (any flavor, any brand - whatever was on sale) on chicken legs with pats of butter, usually a half stick maybe more depending on the number of legs - with three growing boys it was generally 15 or so - and bake for 45-60 minutes. But I suppose a crock pot would do too.

The kids thought it had to be some magic difficult meal to make, when they moved out and asked for the recipe they didnt believe me. They are sure I've withheld a secret ingredient.

Broccoli Beef is super easy too. Chopped broccoli, green pepper, red pepper, water chestnuts and beef strips or tips. I just use soy sauce and a bit of cornstarch, no magical seasoning. I'm a minute rice person so it was a done in 20 minutes when the kids were little.

I used to be able to find precooked turkey breast like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jennie-O...vM7IeBL2bHVqwvZrvdPJspEc1_2DCfY8aAthDEALw_wcB and heat them up, mashed potatoes and green beans for another quick meal. I cant find them in my store anymore.

Smothered pork chops - thick Iowa chops, sliced onion, topped with golden cream of mushroom soup baked for 45 minutes, but probably do them in a crock pot too.

Tacos - for the two of us I still use a pound of hamburger and any leftover meat gets used in nachos.

We have just eaten beef nachos for a light dinner. Restaurant style chips, beef taco meat, shredded cheese, jalapeno on his side, black olives on mine, topped with salsa. He doesnt like sour cream but I will often put sour cream on my side.

sk8pics

Tonight I made my banana bread recipe with 40% whole wheat flour (so 1 cup regular all purpose, 3/4 cup whole wheat) and baked it in a pan instead of in muffin tins. Tastes quite good.

For dinner I made a crescent ring with chicken, diced tomatoes, cream of chicken condensed soup, frozen mixed veggies and a little shredded cheddar jack cheese. I am freezing several portions and have enough to eat for a few days.

clairecloutier

Salsa chicken is one I do quite often. If I'm really lazy I just do chicken and salsa and forget about opening up a can of beans and measuring out corn. Sometimes I put it over rice, other times in a tortilla with sour cream and cheese.

Maple dijon drumsticks is another stupid easy one that everyone likes.

Peanut sesame noodles is slightly more prep but still very quick and easy and really tasty. I just don't always remember to keep rice noodles on hand because I don't use them that often.

Thanks @made_in_canada! I've already printed out the salsa chicken and drumstick recipes. :)

My husband and I split dinner cooking chores by alternating weeks. We each are responsible for our own breakfast and/or lunch except for weekends. On weekends, I prepare breakfast on Saturday for both of us and he prepares breakfast on Sunday for both of us. We each do our own grocery shopping. It's nice having that whole week off to let someone else do all the work of having to come up with dinner, and you also don't feel like you are cooking every night because you aren't.

This is exactly what my husband and I did when we were both working full-time. He cooked dinner one week, then I cooked dinner the next week. It worked out really well! Maybe someday we will get back to that when circumstances change and we're both working full-time again.

I finally got my sourdough starter to work and can bake bread. For someone who rarely had more than the smallest bag of flour in the house not that long ago, it's a pretty big accomplishment :lol: Now to convince my husband and kids that a whole loaf of bread is not an afternoon snack :rolleyes:

sk8pics

This looks really good, thanks! I will probably try making it next week...

MsZem

I finally got my sourdough starter to work and can bake bread. For someone who rarely had more than the smallest bag of flour in the house not that long ago, it's a pretty big accomplishment :lol: Now to convince my husband and kids that a whole loaf of bread is not an afternoon snack :rolleyes:
Why would you try to convince them of something that isn't true?

Happy baking :)

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Now to convince my husband and kids that a whole loaf of bread is not an afternoon snack :rolleyes:

This is exactly the reason my husband stopped baking whole loaves of sourdough from scratch and we buy them from United Bakery instead. The bread disappeared too quickly... :shuffle:

Anemone

For those who don't have room for another electric kitchen gadget, this is a nice alternative to a rice cooker: https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Micr...rds=sistema+rice+cooker&qid=1595179923&sr=8-2
I do steamed veggies in the microwave with it too. I've also added frozen veg to the rice before I toss it in.
You might have to experiment a little initially with how long a particular type of rice takes in your specific microwave, but I didn't find that all that hard to do. Now I know exactly for mine - 1 cup rice, 500ml water, 10 mins cooking, 5 minutes to sit & rice is ready.

One salad I do regularly in summer with all the fresh tomatoes & cucumbers around is a variation on a greek salad. I'll do just fresh tomatoes (any kind), cucumber (usually chopped into cubes), some fresh chevre or goat's cheese chunks or feta, kalamata olives if I have them, and bottled greek dressing. Add grilled or roasted chicken if I want some protein in it.

Another thing I have been making lately when it is so hot I don't want to cook is chicken wraps. I'll pick up one of those already roasted chickens from the grocery store. I take flour or corn tortilas, add lettuce, chopped veggies (whatever I happen to have around/bought - bell peppers, radish, celery, cucumber etc), and add a little salad dressing - a ceaser, creamy dill or similar.

For family gatherings in the summer, my Mom will sometimes do a sort of pasta salad bar. Pasta, and then in bowls all sorts of chopped veggies - cucumber, tomatoes, celery, belll peppers, radishes, lettuce, - and then also a couple proteins (usually chopped grilled or roasted chicken and ham chunks). She then puts out a variety of dressings, and everyone just kind of builds their own. I will sometimes do the same just for myself - prep it all on the weekend, put it in the fridge in containers, and then build myself a different salad every day.

This is a nice toss in the oven & dinner's done recipe, when it isn't too hot to have the oven on.
Oven Fried Rice
2 C rice (uncooked)
1 cup chopped celery (or bok choy, or peas, or chopped carrots or whatever!)
1 finely chopped onion
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4-1/2 cup oil
1 pkg onion soup mix (dry, like Lipton's)
3 cups boiling water
Place in dish and bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

My mom used to always turn this into a one-dish meal by topping with with chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs or breasts all work), pork chops or lamb chops before putting it in the oven.
Personally, I usually add some chopped or button mushrooms.

Another thing I will do in hot weather is make a big batch of "doctored" fried hamburger. It was inspired by taco soup, but I leave out a lot of the liquid and make it quite thick. I fry one very large (family pack size) package of hamburger, to which I add 1-2 finely chopped onions, a can of chopped tomatoes (including liquid), can of black beans (drained & rinsed), can of corn (drained), 1-2 chopped bell peppers (usually green, yellow or orange for the colour), a pound of chopped mushrooms, and a packet of taco seasoning. If you like spicy, I supposed you could add some kind of chopped hot peppers or chiles. I simmer it until the tomato liquid is mostly gone and the mixture is very thick. I find it quite versatile to use then. I'll do a baked potato, top with the hamburger mixture, and add stuff like cheese & sour cream for a loaded baked potato. I'll use it with the usual toppings to make tacos. I'll make a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers & bell pepper, and then top it with some of the hot meat mixture & then a ranch or creamy dill dressing for a taco salad. I'll put some in a bowl, top with cheese, and then eat it as a hot dip with corn/tortilla chips and sour cream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information