Food in isolation

million$momma

I eat salads whenever I can, but lettuce doesn’t last so long and I don’t like to go to the supermarket too often. But I just finished the lettuce I bought a week ago, so I’ve had salads every day for a week. I still have some chopped kale that I’ll eat for the next few days. And then next week it’s time for another run to BJs.

I just made more banana bread muffins, both to use up some bananas and use up some eggs. The other day, I made 6 individual mini cheesecakes that were excellent. So now I need more cream cheese; I have one package but I also want to make some cheese danish at some point.
If you like spinach, it lasts far longer than lettuce does.

quartz

almost, but not quite
When everything started shutting down back in March, I ran about town, getting whatever meat and freezer items were on sale, and shopping until both fridge freezers, and chest freezer were full.
Now we are at the point where we answer “what’s for dinner?” with “the oldest thing in the freezer!”

Lizziebeth

I have been keeping track of what is in the freezer too. I did not buy that much, but we can eat pretty well if I remember to defrost it and have the ambition to cook it. Have not done take out at all, we rely on my cooking "skills" :saint:

SO knows better than to complain about what I cook for dinner. He seems to be retired from cooking and I make things he likes.

once_upon

Voter
We are at the point of the stay at home that nothing sounds good anymore. Not even steaks with buttered mushrooms and a veggie like sweet corn or grilled asparagus.

So we are doing more takeout.

euterpe

Can't get steak and hamburger in the stores here so order it from Omaha. Expensive, but the quality is great.

Because I am at top risk for *************19 I don't shop at all but have groceries delivered once a week from a local food market. However, no paper goods (TP, towels, etc) or plastic bags are ever available, so I have to get those items from Amazon.

once_upon

Voter
Can't get steak and hamburger in the stores here so order it from Omaha. Expensive, but the quality is great.

Because I am at top risk for *************19 I don't shop at all but have groceries delivered once a week from a local food market. However, no paper goods (TP, towels, etc) or plastic bags are ever available, so I have to get those items from Amazon.
Are you using Omaha Steaks or order from? They are pretty expensive.
Just Good Meats does mail orders I think. I think they are a little less expensive and I think their quality might be better

Sparks

That sounds great. Every week, I'm tempted to get about $75.00 worth of Chinese food. I want it all.

once_upon

Voter
Isn't spicy food supposed to cool you down or something?
It's supposed to make you perspire and thus cool you off I guess.

It's really spicy. It doesnt look like most hot and sour soups I've had. I think they put in all the chopped up vegetables left over. I got a small cup which is probably 10 ounces (1.89). I'm not sure how many ounces the $5.99 order is.

Lizziebeth

I just had a bowl of the first blueberries from my garden. Wonderful.

So far I have had radishes, peapods and kohlrabi. I have a few heads of broccoli and cabbage that will be ready soon. Yum.

Sparks

It works. Your body sweats and serves as an evaporative cooler of sorts. Trust.

hanca

Values her privacy
It works. Your body sweats and serves as an evaporative cooler of sorts. Trust.
Sure, but wouldn’t it be better to keep yourself cool without getting all sweaty? At least, personally I prefer to be in hot weather while I am dry, rather than when I am soaked in my own sweat. So eating spicy food to help my body start sweating is not what I would choose to do.

I think on the same principle people in this country believe that hot tea helps in hot weather because drinking it makes you sweat. Whereas in my country of origin, I don’t know anyone who would drink hot tea in hot weather. People usually go for cold drinks, the colder the better.

Sparks

Cold drinks with a plate of Mexican food works especially good in hot, arid weather. Especially if you don't have refrigerated air conditioning. #NewMexican

euterpe

The things I could easily order out for in NJ (Chinese, Thai, pizza) are of poor quality in NC. I really miss Chinese!!

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
We are at the point of the stay at home that nothing sounds good anymore. Not even steaks with buttered mushrooms and a veggie like sweet corn or grilled asparagus.

So we are doing more takeout.

I've been doing home chef for the last two weeks, which is really helping with my food rut. Thank you, @once_upon for the first box! Another friend sent me a free Hello Fresh so I'm going to do a week of Hello Fresh at the end of the month.

Cold drinks with a plate of Mexican food works especially good in hot, arid weather. Especially if you don't have refrigerated air conditioning. #NewMexican

I would genuinely fight someone for some real New Mexican food. You just cannot get food like that here.

once_upon

Voter
The Chinese restaurant we did takeout from, we've dined in before. They speak Chinese - at least o think it is, I dont speak Chinese so making an assumption. Its probably one the better Chinese restaurants I've eaten at.

What I want to find is a good authentic Mexican restaurant. Kind of hard to try those little hole in the wall but authentic places during a *********

SkateSand

Cat Servant
What I want to find is a good authentic Mexican restaurant. Kind of hard to try those little hole in the wall but authentic places during a *********

One of the nice things about living in farm country is there are a lot of really good Mexican restaurants. A lot of the farm workers have decided having their own taco stand or truck or a hole-in-the-wall little restaurant beats farming. :)

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
We have a pretty good Mexican restaurant here. But Mexican restaurants around here tend to not have very much spice regardless of ownership. Good local New Mexican places are spicy. And New Mexican food is also a little different than Mexican.

quartz

almost, but not quite
We had Dan’s Taco Wagon on the weekend - tacos, burritos and chimichangas!!
The Mennonites around here are German-speaking and migrated from Manitoba to Mexico, and back to SW Ontario, so they are known as Mexican-Mennonites and are well known for delicious Mexican food.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
One difference is the more prevalent use of green chiles, which have a distinctive flavor. And odor; if you travel through New Mexico during harvest season, you'll smell them roasting.

New Mexican cuisine deserves more recognition in the US. It's so good!

once_upon

Voter
How is New Mexican food different than Mexican?
I'm not sure what @Theatregirl1122 is referring to, but I personally think of new Mexican food/restaurants as ones owned by new immigrants or first generation citizens who serve authentic recipes. Mexican food as ones that are Americanized.

When I went out to eat with members of the local Hispanic church, they took me to a couple of the authentic restaurants. Much different in spices, sauces, etc.

Sparks

New Mexican food is from the State of New Mexico. It is different from Mexican food in a number of ways. One is the use of real green chile and red chile. It has a lot of Native American influence.
Here are some examples.

Jenny

From the Bloc
@Sparks thank you for that link! I recall now the red/green chile sauce discussion on an episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and the link to Native American traditions makes a lot of sense. I'm always interested in regional/ethnic foods and how they came to be.

We cook Mexican food all the time, not sure if anyone would call it "authentic" but we love it :)

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Impossible Foods now sells their product direct—including 5lb bulk packs that are usually offered up to restaurants:

We bought a 5lb pack from a restaurant supplier in March and we're only finishing it up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information