Food in isolation

mpal2

I forgot to tell everyone about my bison and lamb burgers turned out. The seasoning suggestions for lamb were great because that was the best I've had for lamb burgers. I think I'll pass on them in the future though. I just still find them a little too bland. I prefer the red meats if I'm going to eat a burger.

@genevieve bison link was great. I will definitely keep this one. The coriander was the special spice I was missing in previous recipes. It really added to the wild flavor of the bison. In fact I think I will only go with the bison in the future if I'm craving a burger.

Skate Talker

Did you know that the ***** will stay alive in a freezer?

Remember, this ***** is held together by fat. Freezing does not melt or break up the fat so it's unlikely to kill it.

yes indeed. I shop for my aunt so I put dry goods on a spare table and tell her to leave paper/cardboard for at least 24 hours, plastic or metal for 3 days. I wipe down plastic milk jugs, wraps on perishables that must be refridgerated. This week I got her a pound of butter that she wanted me to put in the freezer but I told her it was going into quarantine in her second fridge for a week first.
For myself, if I buy fruit like pears, oranges and apples I just leave them out for a couple of days before putting them in the fridge - they always get washed before I eat them anyway.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
bison link was great. I will definitely keep this one. The coriander was the special spice I was missing in previous recipes. It really added to the wild flavor of the bison. In fact I think I will only go with the bison in the future if I'm craving a burger.
:cheer2:

The grocery store had rockfish on sale, so I made this tonight. Flavor is great! But I wish I'd read the comments first, because 1/2 cup of broth made it very soupy. Next time I'd use 1/4 cup (several people mentioned using 2-3 Tbs of either broth or white wine). I have leftovers and will make some faro to have with the rest, which should soak up the broth. I don't have onion powder or garlic powder, I tossed in a clove of crushed garlic, and I included sliced shallot instead of onion. Also used 1 Tbs dried dill instead of 2 Tbs fresh dill, and added some aleppo pepper.

Is everyone still wiping down groceries? My husband keeps telling me that articles say it’s not necessary. However when I ask him, are YOU convinced that it’s not necessary?, he has no answer. :lol:
I never wiped down groceries. I am convinced it's not necessary.

Lizziebeth

I don't wipe groceries either. I pick up my order from the store. Having been inside the store with the maskless people that can't stay 6' away from me, I have decided that it is safer to pick the order up. So far so good. I have ordered every 10 - 14 days and am pretty much home the rest of the time.

I live in the country and they will not deliver. They probably would not like my gravel road anyway :lol:

Lizziebeth

That rockfish dish looks delish. What is rockfish similar to? I live at least 1000 miles from the nearest ocean!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
That rockfish dish looks delish. What is rockfish similar to? I live at least 1000 miles from the nearest ocean!
I found this description:
Flavor/Texture: A mild fish with a slightly nutty flavor, a medium texture and a fine flake.

I think of fish you'd find in tacos - light but with some structure. The site says you can use red snapper (someone on the recipe site used that instead), porgy or cod. I think cod is much denser - but delicious, and more common so go for it! *Rockfish here is pretty flat/thin, and cod is generally thick. On the recipe site people talked about their rockfish filets being thick and having to add time, so maybe PNW rockfish is small?

Lizziebeth

I found this description:
Flavor/Texture: A mild fish with a slightly nutty flavor, a medium texture and a fine flake.

I think of fish you'd find in tacos - light but with some structure. The site says you can use red snapper (someone on the recipe site used that instead), porgy or cod. I think cod is much denser - but delicious, and more common so go for it! *Rockfish here is pretty flat/thin, and cod is generally thick. On the recipe site people talked about their rockfish filets being thick and having to add time, so maybe PNW rockfish is small?
thank you!

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
My first trip to the store, about 3 weeks after shelter in place started in my country, I washed everything when I got it home. It ended up taking so much time that that I haven't gone to those lengths since.

I think I completely misjudged how much food I actually eat when I was stocking up in March and the first couple of trips post-SIP order. I think I was worried that something would happen and I wouldn't be able to get things--which was silly. I have friends and coworkers who would pick things up for me if I couldn't go out (and vice versa) and one of our local grocery stores has delivery service. Now, I'm trying to work on eating all of the meat and vegetables I have frozen and the excess can goods before I stock again (at more reasonable levels).

quartz

almost, but not quite
The husband went searching for morels and came back with a mother-load of wild asparagus instead. Free food!

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
I’m late to this thread and late to Hello Fresh! I decided to give them a go this lockdown as I had a referral code. Anyway, I was so impressed I referred them on to friends too!

So my first box of 3 meals for 2 cost me £9.99 and because of referrals, my next two boxes have been free!

I’m not a great cook but these have been brilliant!

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I’m late to this thread and late to Hello Fresh! I decided to give them a go this lockdown as I had a referral code. Anyway, I was so impressed I referred them on to friends too!

So my first box of 3 meals for 2 cost me £9.99 and because of referrals, my next two boxes have been free!

I’m not a great cook but these have been brilliant!
We did Home Chef and Hello, Fresh. They were both good but I think the Hello Fresh meals were slightly better. They take about 50% longer than they say though.

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
I agree they take longer than stated usually @MacMadame. Today’s pork steak with peppercorn sauce, broccoli and mash was about spot on though. (Felt rushed though! I usually am able to clean as I go but left the kitchen in a tip today as I served)

So there’s a lovely little cheese cafe in Cardiff, (15 miles away). Anyway, I don’t go to Cardiff that often but I have ate there in the past and popped in to buy cheese when I can.

Anyway, it transpires that the business owner lives very local to me and as he has had to have his original location shut down for the last 10 weeks he has now opened up as a takeaway/delivery in an industrial unit less than A MILE FROM MY HOUSE.

The weather here is beautiful the next few days so I think this will tide us over for a few garden lunches for £20. (I never eat much when it’s hot)

This isn’t mine, but I’m picking the same up tomorrow.

once_upon

New condo owner
I love my Home Chef. Tonight having grilled chicken, grilled asparagus and grilled sweet corn. Of course DH did this one on the grill :)

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I obviously don't live anywhere near Cardiff, but the idea of something called a "Cheese Cafe" has me drooling. Cheese is my favourite food group. 😍

(Wine is my favourite beverage group. :nopryde: )

sk8pics

I am pondering what to bake next. In my freezer I have peanut butter cookies (thanks to @antmanb for putting that thought in my head), blueberry muffins (a bit biscuit like) and banana bread muffins. I have been thinking about cheese danish for awhile; a friend posted a photo of what she had done and it looks very very good. And then there's the orange cake mix that I have, and I have milk chocolate icing. I was thinking of making cupcakes but the mix makes 24 cupcakes and I only have 12 muffin/cupcake tins.... Decisions, decisions. Tomorrow is my birthday and I want to make a treat for breakfast...

Jenny

From the Bloc
Happy Birthdays @sk8pics ! Mine is this week too - when this started, I could not for the life of me get flour or cake mix, but I kept trying, and now I can choose from a cake mix, a brownie mix, or something from scratch thanks to the 10 Kg (22 pounds!!) bag of flour I just got.

My intention, sounds like yours too, is to make it the day before so I can have cake for breakfast :)

sk8pics

Happy Birthdays @sk8pics ! Mine is this week too - when this started, I could not for the life of me get flour or cake mix, but I kept trying, and now I can choose from a cake mix, a brownie mix, or something from scratch thanks to the 10 Kg (22 pounds!!) bag of flour I just got.

My intention, sounds like yours too, is to make it the day before so I can have cake for breakfast :)
Happy birthday to you, too! I have had this cake mix for a while. It's actually hard to find, so when I was with a friend one day we stopped in to her supermarket and I got a couple of boxes. I also have the ingredients to make some cheese danish. Decisions, decisions. I am leaning towards the cake...

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I am pondering what to bake next. In my freezer I have peanut butter cookies (thanks to @antmanb for putting that thought in my head), blueberry muffins (a bit biscuit like) and banana bread muffins. I have been thinking about cheese danish for awhile; a friend posted a photo of what she had done and it looks very very good. And then there's the orange cake mix that I have, and I have milk chocolate icing. I was thinking of making cupcakes but the mix makes 24 cupcakes and I only have 12 muffin/cupcake tins.... Decisions, decisions. Tomorrow is my birthday and I want to make a treat for breakfast...
You can freeze the cupcakes if you don't frost them. And, just bake two batches. :)

sk8pics

You can freeze the cupcakes if you don't frost them. And, just bake two batches. :)
Yeah, yeah. :lol: This batter is supposed to be mixed a specific way and it definitely makes the cake lighter and more delicious, and I'm not sure what it would be like if I tried to keep it. I decided to make the cake. I've actually had good luck many times freezing individual pieces with frosting. When you take the cake out, the wrap comes off very easily while the cake and frosting are still frozen.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yeah, yeah. :lol: This batter is supposed to be mixed a specific way and it definitely makes the cake lighter and more delicious, and I'm not sure what it would be like if I tried to keep it. I decided to make the cake. I've actually had good luck many times freezing individual pieces with frosting. When you take the cake out, the wrap comes off very easily while the cake and frosting are still frozen.
I freeze cake slices all the time. You can use the nonstick foil to wrap them which makes it easy if you're using a frosting that doesn't have a lot of air. Like chocolate. My problem is waiting for the piece to thaw when I want to eat it. Some times I don't wait. :lol:

sk8pics

I freeze cake slices all the time. You can use the nonstick foil to wrap them which makes it easy if you're using a frosting that doesn't have a lot of air. Like chocolate. My problem is waiting for the piece to thaw when I want to eat it. Some times I don't wait. :lol:
I don't wait either. I microwave the pieces. :slinkaway That also makes the frosting deliciously drippy.:lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
Then make crepes if you can’t get baking powder. Crepes don’t need baking powder.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
So my state has started opening some businesses with very strict limitations. It seems that a substantial number of my fellow supermarket shoppers take that to mean “go back to the obnoxious azzhat that you were before this all started”. But the meat shelves were nearly full today, the jarred pasta sauce we like was back in stock, and the frozen food aisles looked like they did on March 15th with some welcome additions like Beyond Meat veggie burgers. Still no yeast.

clairecloutier

My husband did a BJ's run yesterday and said the store was the best-stocked that it's been since March. He even scored some Clorox/Lysol wipes! :D

Jenny

From the Bloc
I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with my 10 kg/22 lb bag of flour - never had one so big! I don't even bake much - I just need it for biscuits, popovers and thickening sauces. I don't even have a canister set on my counter - do they still make those??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information