Food in isolation

mag

So @genevieve mentioned a lemon meringue pie in another thread. I thought we would use this thread to talk about what we are cooking for those of us stuck at home. Post recipes (no exotic ingredients please) and general foodie stuff.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
As requested!

I hate that food blogs now junk things up with 512 photos and exhortations to watch a video. JUST GIVE ME THE DAMNED RECIPE. But I do like getting baking science dropped on me :)

As I said in the other thread, if I'd opened ALL the links beforehand to see how long this would be with a homemade crust (needs to chill) PLUS blind baking PLUS filling and :duh: needing to let the pie cool 1 hour PLUS chill 4 hours...I'd probably never have bothered. But it is truly delicious. Even though I didn't use enough water in the crust and I was too impatient with the meringue. :)

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
I made this vegan chili on Saturday and it was fantastic. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020866-vegan-chili

I didn't have chili powder so I made my own following a recipe on Allrecipes.com, except that I used smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I also used fire-roasted tomatoes in the chili, instead of regular ones.

To the pickled onion topping, I added chopped avocado and a dollop of Icelandic yogurt. Served on a bed of brown rice.

Quick, easy, and delicious.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
We we’re going to try baking bread, but have less than a pound of bread flour. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that uses all purpose flour and quick dry yeast?

Tesla

Whippet Good
We we’re going to try baking bread, but have less than a pound of bread flour. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that uses all purpose flour and quick dry yeast?
If you have the time, this artisan bread is super easy and super good (I don't bother with slashing).
I've made rolls from here that are super easy and delicious.

I've used instant yeast for everything (I'm assuming that's the same as quick yeast?).

Aceon6

Thanks @Tesla, but I need a recipe for using all purpose flour. I’m rationing my meager supply of bread flour for pizza dough.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Thanks @Tesla, but I need a recipe for using all purpose flour. I’m rationing my meager supply of bread flour for pizza dough.
You can use all-purpose for all of those recipes. :) I've made rolls with all-purpose, and they've been delicious. While I haven't made the artisan bread with all-purpose, you can substitute. I've made this pizza dough with all-purpose, and I think it's really good.

flyingsit

This is what I use. AP flour, quick yeast, water, and salt. I typically halve the recipe.

Amy L

My husband eats meat like a t-rex, food shortages are going to seriously damage our relationship. He went to the store after he got off work this morning and he found a few things we needed but he still couldn't get any water and there was no meat left either. He's going to be grumpy until he can stockpile his beloved meat. He's picky as hell and simply won't eat at all if he can't find things he likes. We have a little ground beef left and we have a whole bag of frozen chicken breasts we haven't opened yet, but like I said, he eats like a t-rex. Carbs are my go-to and I don't like meat that much so I can stuff my chubby face with chips for a while, but he's a whole other story. And he can get hangry too! Can I lock him in the garage until this blows over????

mjb52

I heated up some lasagna. I'm not much of a cook. :slinkaway

I picked up a pizza Sunday right before the restaurants closed and just ate the last piece now. It's a measure of the gravity of the situation that it lasted that long, normally it would have been gone by monday morning if not earlier.

MsZem

I have stocked up for cookie baking and plan on making and freezing dough for speculaas, oatmeal chocolate chip (with cranberries, which makes them healthy), and of course Nutella cookies. I might get some pecans from the grocery store and make pecan cookies as well.

Reactions: mag

annie720

I'm making boiled corned beef today for St. Paddy's. I wasn't planning on it this year, but those briskets are one thing that the stores have had in stock this week, so it was easy to pick one up. And then there will be sandwiches for lunch!

acraven

Quick breads like muffins (which don't have to be sweet) are easy to make and do not require bread flour. In my experience they freeze very well; I just dump loose muffins in a lightweight plastic bag and place that bag in a plastic freezer bag. In truth, though, given my lack of will-power, they tend not to stay in the freezer very long. For me, a hearty, savory muffin pares very well with an unexciting (not homemade) soup.

hanca

Values her privacy
My husband eats meat like a t-rex, food shortages are going to seriously damage our relationship. He went to the store after he got off work this morning and he found a few things we needed but he still couldn't get any water and there was no meat left either. He's going to be grumpy until he can stockpile his beloved meat. He's picky as hell and simply won't eat at all if he can't find things he likes. We have a little ground beef left and we have a whole bag of frozen chicken breasts we haven't opened yet, but like I said, he eats like a t-rex. Carbs are my go-to and I don't like meat that much so I can stuff my chubby face with chips for a while, but he's a whole other story. And he can get hangry too! Can I lock him in the garage until this blows over????
He could try to get a pig. Then he would slaughter it and you would have plenty of meat for quite a few months. You would need a big freezer though.

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
I made this vegan chili on Saturday and it was fantastic. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020866-vegan-chili

I didn't have chili powder so I made my own following a recipe on Allrecipes.com, except that I used smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I also used fire-roasted tomatoes in the chili, instead of regular ones.

To the pickled onion topping, I added chopped avocado and a dollop of Icelandic yogurt. Served on a bed of brown rice.

Quick, easy, and delicious.
Quoting myself because I posted the wrong recipe - sorry. 🤗 Here's the one I made: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017704-vegetarian-skillet-chili

And here's another bean recipe I made a week ago that was also extremely delicious: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020859-white-beans-au-vin

Aceon6

He could try to get a pig. Then he would slaughter it and you would have plenty of meat for quite a few months. You would need a big freezer though.
Our local meat share is feeding the carnivores and they deliver They were prescient to limit orders starting around the 5th, so they still have plenty. They have everyone’s family size in their database, as well as order history.

clairecloutier

Our local meat share is feeding the carnivores and they deliver They were prescient to limit orders starting around the 5th, so they still have plenty. They have everyone’s family size in their database, as well as order history.

What meat share do you use? I've been thinking about trying one, but haven't gotten around to it.

So, I never cook anything "Irish" for St. Patrick's Day. Neither does my mother, despite the fact that her family is basically 100% Irish. But it just so happened that I'm making an Italian casserole tonight involving meat, potatoes, and cabbage. And, I just happen to have some leftover Irish soda bread from the store. So I guess our dinner will be in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day--if with slightly different seasonings. :D

mag

I am doing chicken pesto pizza for dinner tonight. I am winging the recipe so we will wait to see how it turns out.

once_upon

Voter
We are grilling hamburgers and having sweet corn
Not Irish at all but I don't like corn beef or cabbage :p

Aceon6

I am doing chicken pesto pizza for dinner tonight. I am winging the recipe so we will wait to see how it turns out.
Pesto coming soon for me as well. I have a couple of basil plants in my Click and Grow that may stop producing soon. The cilantro is nearly done as well, so it will be tacos soon.

Reactions: mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information