Figure Skating Unscripted Comedy Series "I Have Nothing" to stream on Crave

Sylvia

TBD
"Start of production announced today! 🙌🎬": https://twitter.com/BlueAntMedia/status/1579808260773011456
“Baroness von Sketch Show” star Carolyn Taylor will front a new unscripted comedy series for Canadian streaming service Crave, produced through Catalyst and Blue Ant Studios.
The six-part comedy series has been commissioned by the Bell Media-owned SVOD, and is produced by Catalyst — the Toronto-based development and funding company focusing on women-centric content — and Blue Ant Studios as part of a strategic partnership to develop female-generated programming for the global marketplace. [...]
The new series, which is still untitled, is slated to premiere on Crave in 2023. Blue Ant International will handle worldwide distribution.
An official synopsis for the show is as follows:
The action plays out at the intersection of amateur ability and enormous ambition — in this case, inspired by Katarina Witt and the 1988 Calgary Olympics, Taylor’s unlikely quest to choreograph the perfect pairs figure-skating routine to be performed in front of an audience of skating stars and fans. What begins as a light-hearted challenge soon morphs into a real-life mission. Despite having zero figure-skating knowledge or skill, Taylor manages to convince an A-list cast of skaters to help her achieve her dream, including two-time Olympic Gold Medallist Ekaterina Gordeeva, Olympic Gold Medallist David Pelletier, four-time World Champion Kurt Browning, two-time Olympic Silver Medallist Brian Orser, World Champions Barbara Underhill & Paul Martini, Olympic Silver Medallist Elizabeth Manley, World Silver Medallists Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara, United States Champion Adam Rippon, and social media skating sensation Elladj BaldĂ©.
Taylor is joined on her figure-skating journey by BAFTA-winning actor and comedian Mae Martin (“Feel Good”) and Emmy-winning figure skating choreographer Sandra Bezic (“Battle of the Blades”).
When asked for a quote while rehearsing at the rink, Taylor said: “I’m exhausted, terrified, way out of my league and have absolutely no time to give you a quote.”
:lol:

Satellizer

existing
I'm so starved for skating content that I will happily be subscribing to Crave once this series launches. Also, there's only 1 objectively funny person on this list, am I wrong? 😅

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I'm so starved for skating content that I will happily be subscribing to Crave once this series launches. Also, there's only 1 objectively funny person on this list, am I wrong? 😅

I assume you're referring to Kurt? I think you're wrong, but not by much. :lol:

Adam Rippon is pretty funny, and David P has had funny moments.

....I'm sure Elladj is funny? That's all I've got.

I've been trying to convince a friend to sign up for Crave because I already share a couple streaming logins out. I'd hate to break down and give Bell my money now. Hope it ends up on YouTube eventually. :p

sap5

Im just going to put this rant here, because a figure skating board is the only place where people will understand it.

Why is pair skating classified as a “female-centric” interest?? Why does the show have to be a comedy? With that cast, I would so love a show that actually talks about the technique behind pair skating, the kind of preparation/training necessary, the joy of pairs skating
. Hopefully this show will cause people to actually want to learn pair skating, instead of just wanting to laugh at it.

Now back to the world of “be grateful skating is shown on tv in any way at all.”

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Im just going to put this rant here, because a figure skating board is the only place where people will understand it.

Why is pair skating classified as a “female-centric” interest?? Why does the show have to be a comedy? With that cast, I would so love a show that actually talks about the technique behind pair skating, the kind of preparation/training necessary, the joy of pairs skating
. Hopefully this show will cause people to actually want to learn pair skating, instead of just wanting to laugh at it.

Now back to the world of “be grateful skating is shown on tv in any way at all.”
If they are going to attempt it, it has to be relatable to a mainstream crowd. Most people aren't going to sit there and say wow, the mechanics behind this sport are just so fascinating. They'd be watching the Discovery Channel or something along those lines ;)

It's some kind of attention being put on the sport that will hopefully be a hit with the target audiences, and that's not a bad thing.

Sylvia

TBD
Sandra Bezic tweeted out a poster for free tickets for a taping involved Katia & David in Brampton on November 3rd: https://twitter.com/SandraBezic/status/1581296752799682563
I haven't found any tidbits online about the November 3rd filming in Brampton, but did come across a :lol: quote from Justin Stockman (VP, Content Development & Programming) during Bell Media's Upfront event in June 2022 re. the show:

“It’s about the hilarious childhood obsession Carolyn Taylor had with the 1988 Calgary Olympics, and becoming a figure skater. It’s an unscripted comedy with a documentary format, where it’s going to be following her, and her journey of learning how to actually do a perfect figure skating routine to I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston. It’s her as an adult pursuing her childhood obsession, made into a TV show, basically.”

nuage

I haven't found any tidbits online about the November 3rd filming in Brampton, but did come across a :lol: quote from Justin Stockman (VP, Content Development & Programming) during Bell Media's Upfront event in June 2022 re. the show:

“It’s about the hilarious childhood obsession Carolyn Taylor had with the 1988 Calgary Olympics, and becoming a figure skater. It’s an unscripted comedy with a documentary format, where it’s going to be following her, and her journey of learning how to actually do a perfect figure skating routine to I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston. It’s her as an adult pursuing her childhood obsession, made into a TV show, basically.”
This is all I found: https://twitter.com/quadaxel3toe/status/1588333212148940802?s=46&t=8WhQBk2Zo93FkEbVaQQukg

Sylvia

TBD
This 2-minute trailer was uploaded 3 days ago :lol::

Press release (August 22, 2023):

Crave’s Original docu-comedy series, I HAVE NOTHING, drops Saturday, Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. ET with all six episodes, immediately following a special screening event at the Just for Laughs Festival in Toronto featuring star Carolyn Taylor and special guests. Created by Taylor, and produced by Catalyst and Blue Ant Studios, in association with Bell Media, the series follows Carolyn (BARONESS VON SKETCH) on a comical quest to choreograph the perfect, full-length pairs figure skating routine to Whitney Houston’s 1992 iconic hit song, “I Have Nothing.” The series will be available to Crave audiences in English and French.

Motivated by a teenaged obsession for the 1988 Calgary Olympics that also sparked Carolyn’s queer awakening, I HAVE NOTHING begins as a lighthearted nostalgic comedy and quickly morphs into a high-stakes, real-life mission for Carolyn, with a few wild detours along the way. Joining Carolyn on her mission are legends from the world of figure skating including Sandra Bezic, David Pelletier, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Paul Martini, Barbara Underhill, Katarina Witt, Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Adam Rippon, Elladj BaldĂ©, and Elizabeth Manley, as well as award-winning comedian, actor, and writer, Mae Martin. Guest stars include Jully Black, Sabrina Jalees, and Elvira Kurt.The season culminates in a performance of Carolyn’s one-of-a-kind routine, performed in front of a live audience of figure-skating royalty, die-hard skating fans, and Carolyn’s teen idols.

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
OMG, the list of skaters alone is utterly fantastic! I envy all of the Canadian members here! Wish I could watch, but Crave TV is blocked here in the U.S., and apparently, a VPN wouldn't work. I know if didn't work for @marbri, then it won't work for me.

I hope some of you will give the rest of us updates about the show and when these fabulous skaters perform or should I say work with Carolyn. And Carolyn Taylor is hilarious! Love it! 😍

manhn

I am a big fan of Mae Martin. Her show Feel Good is terrific. This will be interesting. So interesting the 1988 Olympics is such an integral experience for queer awakening. Have to say I totally get it. Weirdly, it wasn’t because of some hot dude (although I thought Peter Oppegard was so hot!), but I think the Battle of the Brians and Carmens was so campy and fun.

I am a big fan of Mae Martin. Her show Feel Good is terrific. This will be interesting. So interesting the 1988 Olympics is such an integral experience for queer awakening. Have to say I totally get it. Weirdly, it wasn’t because of some hot dude (although I thought Peter Oppegard was so hot!), but I think the Battle of the Brians and Carmens was so campy and fun.
I love Feel Good too ❀

Desperado

OMG, Katia's face is everything. Also loved Sandra's "so happy" at the end and Barb and Paul wearing matching coats so many years later. :lol: I suspect (and hope) Carolyn is a better skater than she lets on.

Crave is super expensive (for me), so I'll wait and see what you guys think of the full show before subscribing. Although I am curious to see more of Katia and David skating together. Who ever had that relationship on their bingo card?

justtojoke

This 2-minute trailer was uploaded 3 days ago :lol::

Press release (August 22, 2023):

Crave’s Original docu-comedy series, I HAVE NOTHING, drops Saturday, Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. ET with all six episodes, immediately following a special screening event at the Just for Laughs Festival in Toronto featuring star Carolyn Taylor and special guests. Created by Taylor, and produced by Catalyst and Blue Ant Studios, in association with Bell Media, the series follows Carolyn (BARONESS VON SKETCH) on a comical quest to choreograph the perfect, full-length pairs figure skating routine to Whitney Houston’s 1992 iconic hit song, “I Have Nothing.” The series will be available to Crave audiences in English and French.

Motivated by a teenaged obsession for the 1988 Calgary Olympics that also sparked Carolyn’s queer awakening, I HAVE NOTHING begins as a lighthearted nostalgic comedy and quickly morphs into a high-stakes, real-life mission for Carolyn, with a few wild detours along the way. Joining Carolyn on her mission are legends from the world of figure skating including Sandra Bezic, David Pelletier, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Paul Martini, Barbara Underhill, Katarina Witt, Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Adam Rippon, Elladj BaldĂ©, and Elizabeth Manley, as well as award-winning comedian, actor, and writer, Mae Martin. Guest stars include Jully Black, Sabrina Jalees, and Elvira Kurt.The season culminates in a performance of Carolyn’s one-of-a-kind routine, performed in front of a live audience of figure-skating royalty, die-hard skating fans, and Carolyn’s teen idols.
God, I've missed Sandra's dramađŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł. She was barely in that but her emotions were every loud. That quick trailer gave me a good giggle. This could go either way really. I hope all involved had fun with it!

Sylvia

TBD
I am a big fan of Mae Martin. Her show Feel Good is terrific. This will be interesting.
@manhn Mae Martin posted this sneak peek video yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxFCcOLrBGH/
@carolyntaylorofficial ‘s insane docuseries “I Have Nothing” coming to @cravecanada at the end of this month

Also follow her on Instagram for updates. She hates Instagram and I’m trying to prove to her it isn’t all hellish
https://www.instagram.com/carolyntaylorofficial/
:D

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information