Facebook Live Q&A video+transcript of Mariah Bell and Max Aaron (in which he officially announced his retirement from competition)

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
And was horribly hard on himself over Worlds...

I'll do a proper breakdown tonight when I get home. :fragile:

Sylvia

TBD
At around the 19 min. 45 second mark Max officially announced that he is retiring from the sport and that he "gave it everything he had and has no regrets" (ETA) "It's really been a great ride ... Having the ability to say that I have no regrets in my entire career of figure skating, for me that is is my gold medal." - he got a BIG round of applause. :encore:to Max!

ETA link to a 1-minute video excerpt from Max's announcement that was tweeted by USFS on Friday (video ends right after the bolded quote above and before the audience applause): https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/987339281684348929

Last edited:

Debbie S

Just watched. Both Max and Mariah were very articulate, sounded happy to be there, gave thoughtful answers to the USFS staffer's questions. Questions were mostly about jumps, but each was asked about future plans. Max announced his retirement, said he got a job as a broker at Merrill Lynch (well, I think it's more accurate to say he is training to be a broker, b/c I think you have to pass an exam to be full-fledged). He said he enjoyed his skating career and has no regrets. :respec: to him and best wishes for the future!

Mariah said she'd be back in the rink Monday and is looking forward to next season, is happy to be working with Raf and the other coaches on his team.

misskarne

I transcribed the whole thing for you all. Max's announcement speech in bold. Apologies for any errors in transcription.

Mariah is wearing a pretty floral wrap-type dress. Max is in a lovely grey-blue suit, white shirt, and black tie. (New suit, I think. Haven't seen this one before.)

(some microphone trouble to start. The host and Mariah's microphones aren't working. Max is disassembling his with the USFS box. He says, "now mine works" with a grin. There are introductions.)

I stuck it under a spoiler cut because it was really fricking long.

Q: What jump were you most excited to learn?
Mariah: Well, I have a microphone that works [laughter] so I'll go first. Probably the jump I was most excited to learn was probably the triple Sal, um, which was the first triple obviously that I learned. I remember I think I was, um, Intermediate, and it was like the first big jump after double Axel so I was super excited and I was like okay, I've done a triple! So for me it was triple Sal.

Max: So for me, I would say, it would be a triple Axel I guess. When I first moved here to Colorado Springs, everybody was..."everybody" [does the air quotes], as in the elder men, like Ryan Bradley, Brandon Mroz, they were all doing triple Axels and I knew if I wanted to be part of the group [more air quotes] I needed a triple Axel. I kept, every time during one of Tom's power classes I kept throwing myself into it, and eventually I got it! So I was able to call myself one of the big boys here, I really enjoyed it at the time and that was fun, and I really enjoyed the process, and hopefully you all will be there, and I bet all of you in here are probably doing triple Axels nowadays because that's how, the quad flip and the quad Lutz are the main things now [laughter], so I guess my era's coming now [laughter].

(misskarne note: for the love of god Max please talk slower)

Q: When you finally landed it, how did that feel?
Max: It was really great! I remember, one of the first times I landed it, I remember just telling myself, if I can just jump high enough, I can probably do it [laughter]. Then again if you jump high enough you're gonna fall really hard. [more laughter] That was a big problem! But I finally figured it out, with Tom's help, and we had a lot of gamers where we were on the ice getting the triple Axel done, and of course I lost a lot of those gamers, those jump constests that we had, for maybe a couple of years and then eventually, I got one over, Ryan Bradley and Brandon Mroz, I beat them one time! But then again that was closer to the end of their career, and the start of mine, so [laughter]. But I don't tell that too often to people so don't tell anybody! [more laughter]

Q: And then as you guys moved through the ranks what was the most difficult jump for you?
Mariah: I remember when I was Junior, the jump was triple flip. And I thought it was triple Lutz so I learned triple Lutz, and I was like I'm ready to go, for this season, with my Lutz in my short program, and then it ended up being the flip. [laughter] So I had to learn flip, and it wasn't that hard for me to learn, and now it's by far my favourite jump, so anything that takes a little extra time to learn is definitely worth it in the end.

Max: So I'm gonna say the same jump, um, because I actually never really learned a triple flip [sheepish laugh]. Everyone who asked why I never did a triple flip in my programs, it was because I actually did a triple Lutz, which I'd call a flip [air quotes] but was actually a Lutz. [laughter] I had a really hard time learning that jump, I actually had a couple of stress fractures in my, in my leg because of trying to keep that edge on the inside edge, so you know what, in my career, it was just like, okay let's just add another quad, because if I can have that I won't need the triple flip, so. [laughter] I wouldn't recommend that! But if you want to add all the quads, be my guest, and actually that's kind of how it's going nowadays, so that's really cool and exciting. But I would say that, work on a jump you can't do, master all the jumps, and you're gonna need it.

Q: So you mentioned doing quads, how do you go about adding that extra rotation?
Max: Yeah, so, um, going up in rotation, first of all I always make sure I have solid technique, and I would make sure that I'd go over that every single day, on the ice, off the ice, making sure that I know what I'm doing exactly, and I'm solid, just like you're taking an exam at school, you don't want to go into an exam that you don't know anything about, same thing, you don't want to go into a jump that you don't know anything about, so it's learning it inside and out. And from there, realising, do I have enough height to actually add another rotation? From there, if I do - do I have enough fast twitch muscles, am I getting enough torque off the take off every single time. So I'm going through all of that and I can feel it, so when I attempt the jump whether it's off the ice or on the ice, I always get far enough around that I won't get hurt, so maybe I land on the quarter, so I get my confidence up knowing that I almost did it or maybe I fell backwards knowing I was clean, and that would just build my confidence up even more, and sooner or later, that jump's gonna come and it's gonna be mine. [big grin]

Q: Speaking about technique, in the last couple of season you've talked about changing your technique, can you tell us a bit about that?
Mariah: Yeah, so, I switched coaches a few seasons ago, and since then we've really just been reworking my technique. Um, for me it's been sorta tough because I came to him later in my career, and I've all of this, sort of history of doing things a certain way, and it's not the way he wants that, and I'm okay with that, I'll do it how he wants me to do it [laughter]. But it definitely takes some time, and like, if he, I will have jumps that are more consistent and more solid with the work that I'm doing, it's still a work in progress, we're getting there, but it'll be worth it in the end, I know for sure.

[Host asks an indistinct question]
Mariah: Probably, looking at, I take back what I said earlier about flip. The jump I liked learning the least was actually loop, I didn't learn it until literally four years ago, I didn't compete it at all when I was Junior, or even in my first year Senior, even now, I don't like loop, you're not supposed to say you don't like jumps, but there's always one jump that, you know, it not your favourite, but I've learned, especially with Rafael, that um, you know, that the things you don't want to do you have to do the most, so I spend a lot of time on loop, we have a lot of lessons about loop, and um it's just something that, again, I know it'll get more solid, and more consistent, all the time.

Q: Question is about when Mariah gets nervous, what does she tell herself to help her stick to her new technique she's been training.
Mariah: Yeah, that's been the biggest thing, so when you go to a competition and you're a little more stressed, you're always going to have that reaction to be safe, or to do what other people are doing, so my gut always tells me just to go back to what I'm used to, what I've done for years, and so yes, I can do it in practice, it's not always there yet in competition because I just need a little more experience in that feeling, not holding back and wanting to be safe, but doing the technique the right way, and make me feel a little more off my centre, or whatever it may be, but just getting a little more comfortable, getting out of your comfort zone. I think a huge thing is it's really great not to be in your comfort zone, especially with jumps, as long as you're doing them properly, to feel maybe they're a little bigger, maybe you are going a little bit faster, when you get a point where you can handle it, that's really great.

Q: And Max, what do you tell yourself when you're out of your comfort zone in competition?
Max: When I get out of my comfort zone, I know that the thing I'm going to be striving towards is the correct process, just like Mariah was saying, I'm just repeating what Mariah was saying [Mariah giggles]. I'm not that smart! Just kidding. [more laughs] Basically, it's really, working with Tom, and having the ability to work on something, maybe it's a different quadruple jump, it's taking the time to learn something the correct way, because when you get to our age - she's a little younger than me [gestures to Mariah] - when you get to our age, you want to have a solid foundation, because I always say to the younger kids, when you're building a house - in Arizona we build ours with cement, we don't have basements, so we have cement floors - so there's a cement floor, and if you build your house on the cement floor that's tilted or cracked, a couple of years down the road it probably will fall apart, correct? So why build your jump base on something that's not - that doesn't have a solid foundation. And that's something that, I think that's it's so big for you guys to learn here, there's so many great coaches that are here, willing to help you, and US Figure Skating put on this great event for you guys to learn. Not just to have one coach but multiple, and that's - you guys are so lucky to have this, back in my day - I can say that now right? - we didn't have this, so really take it all in, if you can take it in, hold onto everything you can, every single word they have, even the athletes that are here, helping at the front, even the demonstrators, listen to what they have, pick their brains as well because they're doing the jumps! So hear them out, it's really interesting to hear what they have to say, listen - I can't stress enough to listen - you want to build that base as strong as you can, so when you get to that Senior level and or maybe at an Olympic trials or the Olympic Games, you won't crack under pressure, you'll deliver. And that's what US Figure Skating wants, someone who is steady and will deliver every single time. Obviously, for you guys, enjoy the moment, right?

Q: about being called up to the Worlds team at the last minute.
Mariah: Well, it was definitely a different experience for me, I've never experienced that before, but I just have to say I'm so thankful for the opportunity to go to the World Championships, I learned so much and I know that it's something I will take with me into the rest of my career, that experience and everything that I learned, but honestly watching the Olympics, being at home and watching the Olympics, that was so motivating, and so, you know, I had some time away from Raf, which was a little bit nice [laughter]. But, um, I hope he's not here, I didn't see him [laughter intensifies], I know he's here, but like - I didn't say that. No, it was really really fun, just to be able to watch the Olympics, and then have the opportunity to just go train, I kept training as though I would be called, because you never know, and then Ashley did let me know at the Olympics that if she was called she would not go, so I kind of knew I was in a position where I could be the first alternate, but I did not know until the week before, more specifically Wednesday or Thursday, and I was supposed to leave on Saturday but I have a pet bunny and I was like, I can't put this on him, I need a day to figure out where I'm going to put him, but no, I went on Sunday and got there in time for the second official practice, but honestly I'm just so fortunate that I had that experience now in my career, and I have just learned so much from it, and any time you get to represent the US it's a huge honour but especially at the World Championships.

Max: So, I actually was not prepared to go to the World Championships, to be completely honest with you guys. I was the third alternate as you guys know, and having Jason Brown as the first alternate and Ross Miner being the second, I really didn't that, um, that opportunity would come down that far. So, yes, shame on me, not training, I started to move onto a different path in life, and I was actually training for a triathlon, so I guess I was in shape but uh, not skating shape, meaning that I wasn't doing the jumps I needed to do or the spins I needed to do, so, uh, when you - I guess first of all saying, when you sign on to a season, you must prepare, I will tell you guys, whether you are the first alternate or the third, that is a huge honour to have, and that's something I guess I abused, and that's something I should not have done. So hopefully you guys will be able to go on an event, a World Championships, a Junior World Championships, and even if you're an alternate, take that huge responsibility to train because you never know what could happen. But I was super happy to get the phone call, I think this was my fourth World Championships now, but I knew what to expect, I knew it was going to be a little harder to deal with, really only having two weeks of practice, really, just getting on the ice, two weeks of training, and then getting on the plane and getting over there, but I couldn't have done it without my coaches here in Colorado Springs, and the support from the team, and I guess, my role at that World Championships was to support the other men there, which was Nathan and Vincent, it worked out, I was going to, hopefully going to step up and take that third spot, and help them get the three spots for next season. So, something did happen, and I was able to hold my composure under the bright lights, and I'm glad we got it done, we got three spots for next year, but our men, their skating is so bright, and it's going to be so much fun to watch, and uh, I can't wait to see what you guys are all going to be doing in a year or two. I think I might see a couple of, maybe a World Champion over here somewhere [points to the audience], or maybe over here [gestures to another part of the audience]. I can't wait to, we can't wait to watch.

Q: How did they prepare mentally for Worlds when they weren't expecting to compete?
Mariah: Yeah, it's definitely a different mindset. You know, you have the, I go into the rink every day and I do my program, and it's different to going into the rink every day to do your program to go to Worlds. So it's just, there's a different feel, and you can't simply commit to yeah I'm going because you don't know if you're going. But the point is you gotta go in and keep training, and so again, just having the experience of flipping my mindset, something I needed to do quickly, it was uncomfortable, but I again I learned so much and I know for next time that I'll be even better prepared, but really I can't stress enough, you always, like Max said, you always train, even if you're just getting ready for the next season, it's worth it, and yeah. Enjoy where you are, everybody's in a different spot, and just enjoy where you are, and take every opportunity that you can. So if you're called up to a World Championships, maybe a little late, you know that you can do it, and relax, and hopefully skate well.

Max: Yeah, like I said earlier, I was definitely fortunate to have gone to a World Championships before, and I knew what to expect, obviously in my role, as being the third man, I guess my place, I was a little less stressed, than those two top men, that were Nathan and Vincent going for the medals now, which was going to be supportive of them, and if something would happen, like I said, you know, I would go in, hopefully slot in there and get that third spot. But I knew what to expect, I knew - it sounds funny - but I knew what a World Championships event smells like - it really sounds funny, I always wondered, what sort of events, what they smell like, how the atmosphere is going to be, how loud it's going to be, the pressure that's going to be, at the hotel, what everyone's going to be talking about the dining hall, you name it, I knew what it was going to be like, and I wasn't nervous. I was more excited, to get that one last event, in the season, it's a huge honour to go to the World Championships, and I really enjoyed that.

Q: Max, you've already hinted at it a little before, so what's next for you?
Max: Yeah, so, I guess I'll take this time to say I'm retiring from the sport, I wanna move on, I'm actually working at Merrill Lynch, I told a couple of people, I already moved back home to Arizona. My time in the sport has really been something, I really enjoyed it, I can't thank everyone enough, uh, from the bottom of my heart, for everything they put into me, my parents, and my friends up here, it's really been a great ride, and I have no regrets. That's one thing I always told myself, in sport, in life, I want to have no regrets, and I can honestly say, with the help of my coaches and friends, that I have no regrets in the sport. And I can't tell you - I don't know of a better feeling, than leaving the sport in general, and having that. You know of course, becoming an Olympian, or having an Olympic medal would have been great to say, rather than my white [inaudible], but having the ability to say that I have no regrets, in my entire career of figure skating, to me that is my gold medal. So, um.

[loud applause]

Max: So with that being said, everyone here, whatever it takes, every single day, every single minute, enjoy it, enjoy the process, put the work and time into it, I'm telling you, nothing feels better than walking away from the sport, or whatever it's gonna be, whether it's gonna be because you want to win an Olympic medal, or whether it's that you want to go to school, give it everything you have, because you never want it to be your last time, and when it is, I want you to enjoy it and say look, I gave it everything I had, and I have no regrets. So just...enjoy that.

[more loud applause] [He glows with happiness.]

Q: Thankyou Max, for everything you've done for the sport, and if anyone has any finance questions...you know who to call now[laughter].
And after that motivational speech, Mariah what's next for you?
Mariah: So, I'm going back to the rink, Raf's gonna be there on Monday, I will be there, I can't say, he won't be there on Friday, so...just a little hint, no just kidding. So I go back to the rink, I'm super excited for this season, and the seasons to come, I'm so fortunate to be with the coaching team that I'm with, I truly feel so lucky to be working with Rafael, to have worked with all the wonderful coaches I've worked with so far in my career and just to be where I'm at, and I'm super excited for these next four years, and I'm ready to, like Max said, have no regrets, and give it my all.

Q: As we wrap it up, just one last question, what is your favourite part about jumping? [Mariah goes blank, and side-eyes Max until he takes the microphone]
Max: My favourite part about jumping was, I guess, the feeling of flying, I guess I can say. Obviously I don't jump that high. [laughter] The feeling of just getting off the ice, and doing something that I guess not a lot of other people in the world can do. And at the time, not everyone was doing quad Sal, everyone's doing quad Sals now [laughs]. But doing something that no-one else could do at the time was really neat, so the opportunity - I bet all these boys in here can do a quad Sal, so it's probably not that cool. Guys back in my day, doing a quad Sal - [laughter]. But no, you know, that feeling of flying was my favourite.

Mariah: I would say probably the same thing, you have a feeling of flying, when you land a jump that's just spot on, that's like a sweet spot, the best place to be for a skater, so, probably...yeah.

[Wrap up.]

I think listening to Max furious with himself over not training as third alternate was harder to listen to than the bit he actually made the announcement.

Debbie S

Thanks, @misskarne, for transcribing. Maybe I misheard (yes, Max did talk fast ;) ), I thought he said broker at Merrill Lynch, but maybe he didn't specify. Whatever he's doing, I know he will be successful. I hope he'll stay involved in skating in some way...I know he said he doesn't want to coach but hopefully he can be a mentor or ultimately take a volunteer leadership position within USFS.

Bellanca

May Max have a bright future filled with happiness and success in all the endeavors that are waiting for him, and may all future expectations be fulfilled. The sport is already missing such a class act.

Thanks for the memories, Max!
:)

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Max will always have a soft spot in my ❤️. I adored his breakthrough West Side Story program. And he is the epitome of sportsmanship and grace. And thank you Max for saving the collective US men’s ass at Worlds and getting us 3 spots. You came in with that intent and doing your best and you SHINED!!!

misskarne

Maybe I misheard (yes, Max did talk fast ;) ), I thought he said broker at Merrill Lynch, but maybe he didn't specify.

He may have done, transcribing his answers was very hard, because he not just speaks very fast, but sometimes runs his words together. And FB isn't the best video type for transcription - there's no option to slow the video down like on Youtube (which I was hoping for).

Or maybe I was just crying too much to transcribe properly. Either or. He looks so happy.

There was some new stuff in there that I didn't know before. Toss up for the biggest eye-opener was between the stress fractures learning the triple flip or the training for a triathlon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information