Elon Musk and Twitter and free speech

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member

Elon Musk’s ‘Twitter Files’ ignite divisions, but haven’t changed minds

In the process, Musk took the extraordinary step of promoting the leak of internal company communications to Taibbi, exposing the names of several rank-and-file workers and Khanna’s personal email address.

The online mob descended on the Twitter workers on the chain, threatening them and circulating their photos online.

See how safe Twitter is now that Musk is in charge? How could people possibly distrust him?

ballettmaus

It confirms that Twitter’s employees were progressives trapped in a progressive bubble making indefensibly ad hoc decisions on the basis of their left-wing political priors that resulted in the disgraceful censorship of information that turned out to be both 100 percent accurate and of acute national political interest.
I'd like to know why this person thinks pictures of Hunter Biden's penis are of "acute national political interest"... Or maybe I don't want to know that... :slinkaway

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I'd like to know why this person thinks pictures of Hunter Biden's penis are of "acute national political interest"... Or maybe I don't want to know that... :slinkaway
don’t know the author of the article, but perhaps sarcasm was involved?

Last edited:

bladesofgorey

Elon Musk’s ‘Twitter Files’ ignite divisions, but haven’t changed minds

In the process, Musk took the extraordinary step of promoting the leak of internal company communications to Taibbi, exposing the names of several rank-and-file workers and Khanna’s personal email address.

The online mob descended on the Twitter workers on the chain, threatening them and circulating their photos online.

See how safe Twitter is now that Musk is in charge? How could people possibly distrust him?
A fact about twitter- you can never delete your DMs. You can "delete" them from your own chat but not from the recipient's which means twitter can look at them at any time still. This should be fun when Musk decides on his next target.

Sparks

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member

Um, the piece I quoted was not about Hunter Biden's penis. It was about Twitter's decision to block the New York Post's story about Hunter Biden's laptop, which was the subject of the Friday Twitter dump. I would expect that the acute national interest issue was about whether or not the Biden campaign tried to have the information in the article, which included accusations of possible influence peddling, suppressed. As the quote acknowledges, there is no evidence that the campaign was in any way involved in that decision.

The penis pictures were the subject of the Saturday Twitter dump, which happened after the piece I quoted was written.

Speaking of "WOKE"
Governor Ron DeSantis’ lawyers were forced by the court to define “woke.”
Finally. Now if only they could be forced to define some of the other terms people throw around as well.

Amy L

Speaking of "WOKE"
Governor Ron DeSantis’ lawyers were forced by the court to define “woke.” The lead lawyer described it as “The belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

So they do know what it really means! They just hate either recognizing systemic injustices or addressing them. Got it.

Basically it's making questioning the government illegal in Florida. That sounds kinda unconstitutional... :COP:

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member
So they do know what it really means! They just hate either recognizing systemic injustices or addressing them. Got it.
They don't believe that systemic injustices exist or that the government should address them or both.

clairecloutier

Here are articles about Musk reinstating a white nationalist to Twitter and the rapid growth of hate speech just in the short time since he took over the platform. ugh. 🤮

Before Elon Musk bought Twitter, slurs against Black Americans showed up on the social media service an average of 1,282 times a day. After the billionaire became Twitter’s owner, they jumped to 3,876 times a day.

Slurs against gay men appeared on Twitter 2,506 times a day on average before Mr. Musk took over. Afterward, their use rose to 3,964 times a day.

And antisemitic posts referring to Jews or Judaism soared more than 61 percent in the two weeks after Mr. Musk acquired the site.

Dobre

It definitely seems pretty unAmerican to outlaw a belief.

"The World Cup has historically been a boon for Twitter, bringing in record traffic and an influx of advertising dollars.

But this time, when the global soccer tournament started on Nov. 20, Twitter’s U.S. ad revenue was running at 80 percent below internal expectations for that week, three people with knowledge of the figures said.

In tandem, Twitter was rapidly cutting its revenue projections. The company previously forecast that it would generate $1.4 billion in the last three months of the year, down from $1.6 billion a year ago because of the global economic downturn. But as Twitter kept missing its weekly advertising targets, that number slid to $1.3 billion, then to $1.1 billion, two people said.

Elon Musk, Twitter’s new owner, has warned repeatedly that his social media company faces dire financial straits."

ballettmaus

Um, the piece I quoted was not about Hunter Biden's penis. It was about Twitter's decision to block the New York Post's story about Hunter Biden's laptop, which was the subject of the Friday Twitter dump. I would expect that the acute national interest issue was about whether or not the Biden campaign tried to have the information in the article, which included accusations of possible influence peddling, suppressed. As the quote acknowledges, there is no evidence that the campaign was in any way involved in that decision.

The penis pictures were the subject of the Saturday Twitter dump, which happened after the piece I quoted was written.
I already read things like this on Friday. 🤷‍♀️ https://twitter.com/AndrewKerrNC/status/1598833887509037057

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It definitely existed before Covid, I had a sister-in-law that started posting a lot of Q stuff on Facebook a few years before the pandemic. I didn't know that it was called Q-Anon at the time, but looking back the subject matter was definitely Q-adjacent.

It exploded in popularity during Covid though.
The "sovereign citizen" types linked up with anti-vaxxers, and Q saw their chance to pounce. They started with chemtrail stuff, to work their way in, then hooked them on the bigger bullshit.

bladesofgorey

It definitely seems pretty unAmerican to outlaw a belief.
America does not outlaw beliefs. You can't be arrested for wrong think. You can be arrested for, like, plotting a murder, but not arrested for just your ideology. Twitter, also, is not "outlawing beliefs". Twitter however can decide not to let someone use their privately owned platform to express their beliefs, especially if those beliefs are expressed as bigotry or are violent. Twitter can't arrest someone for their beliefs, or even for plotting a murder. Hope that helps.

bladesofgorey

Also what seems to be lost on some people who are screaming Muh Freedoms is that there are a number of far less moderated social media platforms already available that allow (Telegram, the chans) or actively court (Gab, Parler) hate speech and neo-Nazis. There are some that don't allow leftist ideology (Truth Social) and some that don't allow leftist ideology but allow slurs and hate speech (Gab, Gettr). These are just a few, there are more. The difference is that Twitter has a far broader audience and larger reach (up until this point at least in part because of its moderation). That makes it a fertile recruiting ground for extremists and let me say that they haven't been this excited or "white pilled" about their ability to recruit in a very long time.

clairecloutier

An independent tech expert/entrepreneur and his group want to start a new Twitter clone that will, according to them, be better and safer than Twitter. You can read about it here:

They are looking for people to pre-register if interested.

On My Own

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Sure, here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...r-and-free-speech.109623/page-25#post-6347392

Would say dispelling rumours is useful, and not just "usual trolling", but I can see how some might not think so.

I don't really know what to say about much of what's happened in the pages after that. I don't think it's as deep as any of you are making it seem.

To paraphrase Jeff L.:​

“Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, poster.” :inavoid:

Last edited:

On My Own

Then why are you here?
Well it's good to read the opinions, even if I mostly disagree. Sometimes I comment, when I should know better than to do so.

I don't think Twitter's going to shut down - I assume it's going to go down the tumblr route, or turn into a 4chan - something to be ignored by a more mature userbase. And while I appreciate that many are searching for alternatives, I hope they do know that any social media website can turn against them and can be used against them (as in, with the political contexts that were brought up), and no userbase is ever going to agree fully with the moderation.

Twitter is still going to be up for a bit, though, it's been around for too long to suddenly fade into irrelevance.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Twitter is still going to be up for a bit, though, it's been around for too long to suddenly fade into irrelevance.
If usage was the only issue, I'd agree with you. But the loss of so many engineers who kept the site up and running is going to come into play eventually (if they are not replaced ASAP). Twitter is now vulnerable to hackers because they know no one is at the wheel.

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member
I don't think Twitter's going to shut down - I assume it's going to go down the tumblr route, or turn into a 4chan - something to be ignored by a more mature userbase. And while I appreciate that many are searching for alternatives, I hope they do know that any social media website can turn against them and can be used against them (as in, with the political contexts that were brought up), and no userbase is ever going to agree fully with the moderation.

I think most people would more or less agree with all this, so why do you think this opinion is so different from everyone else's?

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Seventy-two of my peeps I follow on Twitter have opened a Post account and are, well, posting. Now if only Tom Nichols comes on over, I can abandon Twitter for the most part. ;)

On My Own

I think most people would more or less agree with all this, so why do you think this opinion is so different from everyone else's?
I didn't say this part would be different at all 🤷‍♂️ I do disagree with the speculation of what Louis' or Karen-W's definitions of individual freedoms are, or anything that followed it. The part I posted can be said to summarize what happened in the thread much earlier, and for me it's coming off as people bickering now. My perception, anyway.

I'll add that I think it's good people are scattering from Twitter. It was too large of a userbase, and I imagine it's only much easier to spread misinformation, because no matter how good your moderation team, it's too hard to moderate that giant and that diverse of a userbase. Too easy to register, and register multiple accounts, too. Too easy to change your username. This is why I think Elon killing Twitter is good.

Eventually, we'll have another "mass approved" social media that a ton of people occupy, and we'll have to hope someone comes in and kills it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information