Elon Musk and Twitter and free speech

Dobre

Post is not readable by people who don't sign up to be members. That is, I can read an exact post if it is linked directly elsewhere; but I cannot see any other posts/threads when I click on a poster's name.

I've no intention of signing up for it any more than I've any intention of signing up for Twitter so, in this way, Post is not as accessible to a general audience. For most people, this won't be an issue; but for journalists/activists, I think it won't prove as valuable a tool for reaching people and/or getting out a message as the platform they have been used to using.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Does Post cost anything?
No, it doesn't cost anything. There are no ads. They give you $50.00 in something that I guess is called tip money that you can use to reward posts you like or pay to see an article that might be behind a paywall. I haven't spent any of my $50.00 yet. I want to dole it out carefully. :)

I find Post very easy to use and less confusing than Counter Social or Mastodon. To me, it seems the most like Twitter and as I'm comfortable with Twitter, I'm comfortable with Post. A lot of the people I follow have also opened Post accounts and I keep looking to find more of them.

I don't think it will replace Twitter unless Twitter truly implodes, but it's a much nicer place to visit since Elon is letting all the anti-semites and racists post at will on Twitter, and he's being truly obnoxious himself. I have muted Elon, but people I follow are responding to his idiocy so I still see it.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I find Post very easy to use and less confusing than Counter Social or Mastodon.
I’ve been on counter.social since its beginning. I do like it, but I find it’s a lot easier to use on my iMac than iPad, but the community is lovely. I’m on the waitlist for Post.

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member

Musk feuds with Apple over Twitter advertising

Mr Musk has said Twitter has seen a "massive" drop in revenue, blaming activists for pressuring advertisers.

Ah, yes, it can't be that companies would rather spend their advertising money somewhere less volatile and more brand-friendly; that would mean it's Elon Musk's fault that this has happened and we can't have that.

"Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter. Do they hate free speech in America?" he said.

Thank you for an excellent example of a straw man, Mr. Musk.

I read elsewhere that he is threatening to develop his own phone so he doesn't have to deal with Apple and Google and their pesky rules.

I don't know what makes him think he can play hardball here. Apple and Google don't need Twitter nearly as much as Twitter needs Apple and Google.

He appealed directly to Apple's CEO - asking: "What's going on here @tim_cook?"

Capitalism, Mr. Musk. Corporations are people and can make their own decisions about how to spend their money.

VGThuy

Apparently, he's also claiming his phone will work on Mars.

Um. Yeah.
He’s lost any sense of humility and touch with reality. He’s entered mad scientist mode except I’m not very convinced he’s much a scientist himself. Just a guy who has enough money to pay for actual smart people (but probably won’t listen to them or has only “yes men” he “listens” to).

VGThuy

Elon Musk Is Destroying the Myths of Silicon Valley in Front of Our Very Eyes

In an age of stagnant politics and growing anxiety about the future, it’s an attractive and even comforting story. It’s also one that few figures have leveraged quite as successfully as Elon Musk — who has, for years, projected an image of promethean genius that countless millions have found singularly compelling. Given Musk’s actual behavior, his cringeworthy social media presence, his company’s incessant product recalls (the latest being this very week), and his litany of grandiose pronouncements that have amounted to nothing, it can sometimes be difficult to get your head around. Nonetheless, the roughly one-month period that has elapsed since his takeover of Twitter has probably done more damage to his image — and to the fraudulent and self-serving myths of Silicon Valley it draws on — than any of these things ever could.

The following quote is what I’ve suspected of Musk’s most devoted fans…that a huge part of his appeal is trolling the libs and other “enemies” but they don’t have the foresight to care about anything else. They live in their stewed resentment and anger that they lost all sense of sight of anything else.

At a certain point, even the most devoted Musk sycophants will have to ask what the master plan is beyond erratic public behavior and lazily trolling the libs. Eventually, a few may even arrive at the same conclusion skeptics reached long ago: that there’s no great promethean genius, elaborate game of multidimensional chess, or modern day philosopher king hiding behind the Mars talk, product recalls, and epic bacon memes. All that exists behind the curtain is a garden-variety capitalist doing the kinds of things that capitalists have always done — in this case very badly.

Allskate

He appealed directly to Apple's CEO - asking: "What's going on here @tim_cook?"
He asked why Apple isn't advertising more on Twitter and if they believe in free speech.

I know that Musk has shown a lot of stupidity recently, but even he must know that free speech means that you are free to advertise where you want to and to choose not to advertise where your ads might show up next to bigots and nuts or where there is not a good return on your ad money. He's just having a public hissy fit (again).

Since Tim Cook is not an immature nut, I'm guessing that he will not respond to the Tweet.

The following quote is what I’ve suspected of Musk’s most devoted fans…that a huge part of his appeal is trolling the libs and other “enemies” but they don’t have the foresight to care about anything else.
And I'm pretty sure they are not the ones who by EVs. A lot of the people who do buy the more expensive EVs are the ones who dislike Musk and realize that "there’s no great promethean genius, elaborate game of multidimensional chess, or modern day philosopher king hiding behind the Mars talk, product recalls, and epic bacon memes." Or, if they didn't know that before, they do now. My friends who plan to buy nice EVs insist that they will not buy Teslas. Of course, they live in the Bay Area and were familiar with Musk before his recent post-acquisition moves and statements. So, he lost them quite some time ago. It's just that more potential EV purchasers are joining them.

hoptoad

More on twitter's issues with Apple.

I will miss twitter as a news source. I subscribe to several papers, but usually find news on twitter is accompanied by explanations and comments of people of real knowledge and expertise. They get push-back, and of course there's tons of BS, but I find out interesting things every day that would be hard for an average person to learn in the larger media.

VGThuy

Elon Musk's Epic Bumbling is a Daily Reminder that America is Not a Meritocracy

From day one, this entire saga has been a story of a man with far more money than brains. After all, this all started when Musk stupidly offered to buy Twitter at a price way over its valuation, for no other reason than a fit of trollish pique. It was only after he realized what a foolish idea it was to set $44 billion on fire that he started coming up with disingenuous excuses to escape the deal, only to discover that it was too late, legally, to back out.
The beginning of the article is correct. He's the living example of Dunning-Kruger Effect.
Yet, somehow, much of this still feels surprising. The idea that Musk is "smart" has persisted through years of very public evidence to the contrary. Even now, many of his critics offer pre-emptive caveats that they don't think he's stupid, before explaining why the latest of his endless string of idiotic choices is a bad one. This notion of Musk's intelligence clings to the discourse around him for one simple reason: He is very, very rich.

The myth of the American meritocracy is a stubborn one. Americans can't help but believe that someone as rich as Musk must have something going on for him beyond dumb luck. To imagine otherwise is too unsettling. So many people block out what should be an obvious truth: You probably would have never heard of Elon Musk if he wasn't a white man from a wealthy family that literally owned an emerald mine in South Africa.
And to my point that just because you were proven to be good at a specific skill or area doesn't mean you are all-of-a-sudden God's gift to the World who was meant to lead the rest of us nobodies who you are so clearly superior than:

Musk wasn't a total birdbrain. His resume suggests there was a time when he was relatively competent at computer science, though there's no reason to think that such skills mean fluency in any other higher-functioning tasks. But regardless of what some IQ test from back in the day might have said about Musk, it's clear that in the past couple of decades, his brain has turned to total mush.
But that's what these types do. They think because they show some extraordinary gift (with Musk, not sure if he displayed that) at something (especially if it's STEM-related or a subject matter that the mostly white male privileged business world deems respectable as opposed to those humanities and liberal arts subjects), it means they are like Gods among peons.

This whole meritocracy myth is not only stubborn, but it's VERY dangerous as these types of people play with people's livelihoods and ability to make a living, thrive, or even survive in the world. And these types are the ones pushes to the top in very important industry and even governmental office, then they make a muck out of everything, but find some scapegoat to blame because you can always rely on people's hatred of "others".

But you know...so long as they "own the libs" I guess they're worth more than the rest of us.

Last edited:

On My Own

Elon Musk's Epic Bumbling is a Daily Reminder that America is Not a Meritocracy

The beginning of the article is correct. He's the living example of Dunning-Kruger Effect.

And to my point that just because you were proven to be good at a specific skill or area doesn't mean you are all-of-a-sudden God's gift to the World who was meant to lead the rest of us nobodies who you are so clearly superior than:

But that's what these types do. They think because they show some extraordinary gift (with Musk, not sure if he displayed that) at something (especially if it's STEM-related or a subject matter that the mostly white male privileged business world deems respectable as opposed to those humanities and liberal arts subjects), it means they are like Gods among peons.

This whole meritocracy myth is not only stubborn, but it's VERY dangerous as these types of people play with people's livelihoods and ability to make a living, thrive, or even survive in the world. And these types are the ones pushes to the top in very important industry and even governmental office, then they make a muck out of everything, but find some scapegoat to blame because you can always rely on people's hatred of "others".

But you know...so long as they "own the libs" I guess they're worth more than the rest of us.
I think I agree with the article that America isn't a meritocracy (no country is), but I did try to search for Elon Musk's emerald mine thing this time, because I keep seeing it and wanted to find out the details, but it's on snopes, actually: https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/11/17/elon-musk-emerald-mine/

VGThuy

I think I agree with the article that America isn't a meritocracy (no country is), but I did try to search for Elon Musk's emerald mine thing this time, because I keep seeing it and wanted to find out the details, but it's on snopes, actually: https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/11/17/elon-musk-emerald-mine/
I was looking more into it and it seems there's enough space in Musk's denial for people to infer all sorts of things in both defending Elon Musk as a "self-made" billionaire or in pushing a narrative that he was someone who actually did benefit from wealth.

I guess regarding his fame, it's true that his dad did partially own an emerald mine in Zambia and the story has gained so much traction that people started using it in all sorts of promotional and hit pieces against him and it garnered him a some fame and publicity. It's not the only reason why we know him, but it added to his "mystique" one way or the other.

On My Own

I guess regarding his fame, it's true that his dad did partially own an emerald mine in Zambia and the story has gained so much traction that people started using it in all sorts of promotional and hit pieces against him and it garnered him a some fame and publicity. It's not the only reason why we know him, but it added to his "mystique" one way or the other.
Snopes doesn't deny that Musk's father Errol owned a stake in an emerald mine in Zambia. It denies that it was an "apartheid mine in South Africa", states that Errol was an engineer (instead of "slave owner"), and tries to search for evidence about how much of Musk's wealth was based off this emerald mine, and documents many of Musk's own denials.

In any case, trying to push the narrative that Musk's benefited off apartheid is rather harmful, whatever my own opinion of him.

The reason I searched for it, is because I have a South African friend who told me a while back that it's well known that Musk's father was abusive. So the story that Musk might have somehow obtained wealth from his father has always seemed strange to me. (Unfortunately, I've seen twitter denials of Musk ever being abused multiple times)

Last edited:

VGThuy

Well the quote I highlighted didn’t say he benefitted from Apartheid. Besides, there’s plenty of other evidence from people who used to work for him and with him to substantiate other racist behavior he exhibited.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
A source says Twitter didn't make payroll on time in Germany and the UK:

Anyone who could have taken that 3-month severance offer and didn't ... is going to live to regret it. IMO.
But given that people were let go without a formal severance package to be told they would get the details later, it's possible that they aren't going to get their severance either.

It depends on why this happened. If it happened because Twitter Germany didn't have the money, then any laid-off employees who didn't get their money yet should be worried. OTOH, if it happened because Musk laid off too many people, then the laid-off employees should be fine.

I think the main (and possibly only) ones that won't live to regret it are the ones who left Twitter for other jobs before Musk took over. Sure they didn't get a severance package (maybe) but they got out without losing money and got a job before a glut of Twitter employees hit the job market.

It's almost a cliche around my town that at least one City Council candidate and/or one School Board candidate will be a software engineer who say you should vote for them because they are a software engineer so they know how to be analytical. Or something like that. I absolutely never vote for them because I've seen too many of those types and I know how little-suited they are for these positions.

bladesofgorey

The (not funny) thing about the article framing this at least somewhat around "Free Speech"is that Musk has been systematically removing accounts that research and identify members of far right extremist groups - and these accounts have not broken any of twitter's rules (most are very careful to stay within the boundaries). So while Musk is opening up the floodgates to racist, antisemitic, and misogynistic content and accounts he's also removing accounts that can counter the narratives of that hate speech and propaganda. Therefore it's not about the "conversation" if one side isn't allowed to reply because Musk is listening to HitlerGoblin88 and other fascists urging him to remove their perceived enemies from the platform.

once_upon

Enough
I read mostly humorous tweets and 3 medical groups, have only responded to medical questions no more than 8-10 times.

Today I got a "follower" - a Trump Q person from their profile. It used to be easy to block someone. I had to search around to find block. This bot is the second person I blocked.

If they are going after nobodies - that is very weird.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I get Twitter notifications in my e-mail once or twice a day of Twitter posts of people I follow. But in the last two days, there have been posts sent to me that are not from people I follow. And both those posts were spam, like "hot Russian woman looking for man" kind of spam. To me, when my avatar photo is actually of me and I'm clearly not someone they should be sending this kind of spam to. :lol: So I'd say the screening process is breaking down.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I get Twitter notifications in my e-mail once or twice a day of Twitter posts of people I follow. But in the last two days, there have been posts sent to me that are not from people I follow. And both those posts were spam, like "hot Russian woman looking for man" kind of spam. To me, when my avatar photo is actually of me and I'm clearly not someone they should be sending this kind of spam to. :lol: So I'd say the screening process is breaking down.
People who are really into Twitter say that the stuff on the right like What's Happening are also having issues.

D

Deleted member 221

So far Twitter is still standing :shuffle:. In what time period should we expect these doomsday predictions to come true?

It sure seems like every tech company and some non-tech companies have followed Musk's blueprint with deep layoffs, primarily in "bullshit" jobs / functions (as defined by David Graeber). I suspect part of the furor is because the majority of people holding such bullshit jobs, largely in support / compliance / etc. functions, are the Democratic party's "woke capitalist" base. Musk is calling time on the scam they've been running. Diversity, ethics, social responsibility, HR, etc. functions are largely comprised of liberals who are getting rich quick by obfuscating how much richer the C-suite is getting by screwing over customers, polluting the environment, etc.

I'm watching with interest. I think the big winners will be companies that watch and learn from Musk's blueprint, making smart tweaks. I mean, if Craigslist can run for years with a staff of 50 people, I think Twitter should be just fine with a couple thousand.

bladesofgorey

Haha the gall of of citing David Graeber in calling jobs that moderate and remove extremist gore, violent threats, and child pron "bullshit" jobs. "Diversity, ethics, social responsibility" are a liberal scam? And you post this today after the flood of literal neoNazi and fascist content Musk has been personally boosting the last couple of weeks? Nice mask off moment for you guys. I'm never going to assume either of you are engaging in good faith ever again.

D

Deleted member 221

You should know by now that masks aren’t my thing. ;) And none of the departments I mention do content moderation, the majority of which an be done by good AI.

But if you want to talk about masks, how about the liberal masks corporations are using to cover up record profits? It’s easier to generate massive wealth without scrutiny by pretending to be a liberal, hiring a diversity officer, creating a social responsibility or ethics department, and making a few other woke virtue signals — without actually changing anything. Even better, you can sell your (fake) “values” instead of your product, and brainwashed liberals eat it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information