Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meoima

“Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the US Capitol from 17 January through 20 January. A group is calling for “storming” state, local, and federal government courthouses and administrative buildings in the event President Trump is removed prior to Inauguration Day, according to an FBI bulletin obtained by @ABC
The FBI has "received information about an identified armed group intending to travel to Washington, DC on 16 January. They have warned that if Congress attempts to remove POTUS via the 25th Amendment a huge uprising will occur,"
From https://twitter.com/AaronKatersky/status/1348674449965527045?s=20

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member

Cachoo

“Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the US Capitol from 17 January through 20 January. A group is calling for “storming” state, local, and federal government courthouses and administrative buildings in the event President Trump is removed prior to Inauguration Day, according to an FBI bulletin obtained by @ABC
The FBI has "received information about an identified armed group intending to travel to Washington, DC on 16 January. They have warned that if Congress attempts to remove POTUS via the 25th Amendment a huge uprising will occur,"

Ok...I'm pulling the violent veterans quote....seeing something else about Parler....checking before I post.

Last edited:

Judy

Let's look at specimen #1: Josh Hawley. This is from the NYT's "The Roots of Josh Hawley's Rage":

How did we get to the point where one of the bright young stars of the Republican Party appears to be at war with both truth and democracy?
Mr. Hawley himself, as it happens, has been making the answer plain for some time. It’s just a matter of listening to what he has been saying.
In multiple speeches, an interview and a widely shared article for Christianity Today, Mr. Hawley has explained that the blame for society’s ills traces all the way back to Pelagius — a British-born monk who lived 17 centuries ago. In a 2019 commencement address at The King’s College, a small conservative Christian college devoted to “a biblical worldview,” Mr. Hawley denounced Pelagius for teaching that human beings have the freedom to choose how they live their lives and that grace comes to those who do good things, as opposed to those who believe the right doctrines.
The most eloquent summary of the Pelagian vision, Mr. Hawley went on to say, can be found in the Supreme Court’s 1992 opinion in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Mr. Hawley specifically cited Justice Anthony Kennedy’s words reprovingly: “At the heart of liberty,” Kennedy wrote, “is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.” The fifth century church fathers were right to condemn this terrifying variety of heresy, Mr. Hawley argued: “Replacing it and repairing the harm it has caused is one of the challenges of our day.”
In other words, Mr. Hawley’s idea of freedom is the freedom to conform to what he and his preferred religious authorities know to be right. Mr. Hawley is not shy about making the point explicit. In a 2017 speech to the American Renewal Project, he declared — paraphrasing the Dutch Reformed theologian and onetime prime minister Abraham Kuyper — “There is not one square inch of all creation over which Jesus Christ is not Lord.” Mr. Kuyper is perhaps best known for his claim that Christianity has sole legitimate authority over all aspects of human life.
“We are called to take that message into every sphere of life that we touch, including the political realm,” Mr. Hawley said. “That is our charge. To take the Lordship of Christ, that message, into the public realm, and to seek the obedience of the nations. Of our nation!”
Mr. Hawley has built his political career among people who believe that Shariah is just around the corner even as they attempt to secure privileges for their preferred religious groups to discriminate against those of whom they disapprove. Before he won election as a senator, he worked for Becket, a legal advocacy group that often coordinates with the right-wing legal juggernaut the Alliance Defending Freedom. He is a familiar presence on the Christian right media circuit.
The American Renewal Project, which hosted the event where Mr. Hawley delivered the speech I mentioned earlier, was founded by David Lane, a political organizer who has long worked behind the scenes to connect conservative pastors and Christian nationalist figures with politicians. The choice America faces, according to Mr. Lane, is “to be faithful to Jesus or to pagan secularism.”
The line of thought here is starkly binary and nihilistic. It says that human existence in an inevitably pluralistic, modern society committed to equality is inherently worthless. It comes with the idea that a right-minded elite of religiously pure individuals should aim to capture the levers of government, then use that power to rescue society from eternal darkness and reshape it in accord with a divinely-approved view of righteousness.
Yeah ... fight back and don’t give up.

Dobre

The NYT is reporting the reason Trump isn't doing press conferences, which he could do, is because he never knows the answers to the questions.
Also press conferences probably don't give him the direct, immediate high of having all of his followers love/like his posts.
Here is a rather adorable guy telling people at the Capitol that even if they think \they got away....they didn't get away. Sorry if this has been posted:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BreezeMountains/status/1348536696384663555
Out of pure curiosity, is any of this relevant when one turns off one's cell phone? (Obviously it wouldn't be if one left the cell back at the hotel). I know the maps for tracking data on how far people were traveling from home often just said "not enough data" where I live. I assume this is because cell service doesn't work when you travel outside of town in most of the county. But also, I figured it was because people turn off their phones. (If you leave your phone on in a dead zone it uses up the battery).

Cachoo

Also press conferences probably don't give him the direct, immediate high of having all of his followers love/like his posts.

Out of pure curiosity, is any of this relevant when one turns off one's cell phone? (Obviously it wouldn't be if one left the cell back at the hotel). I know the maps for tracking data on how far people were traveling from home often just said "not enough data" where I live. I assume this is because cell service doesn't work when you travel outside of town in most of the county. But also, I figured it was because people turn off their phones. (If you leave your phone on in a dead zone it uses up the battery).
Excellent question....I might be wrong but I think it shows your location when you switched off so I guess the answer is no. I'm not sure.

Judy

My understanding is that Biden wants to travel by train? Bus on inauguration day. I am going to be stressed on on the 20th.

Judy

IMO Biden is sensible enough that he's not going to travel by train if his security thinks it's too dangerous. Even if that's what he'd prefer to do.
Well I would think there will be massive security protection. Apparently they asked Trump for more money on security.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Well I would think there will be massive security protection. Apparently they asked Trump for more money on security.

Of course there will be massive security protection, no matter how he travels. He's getting massive security protection right now.

Dobre

Then we have this thread about the psychological impact on capitol police:

"NEWS: The US Capitol Police has had to respond to 'a couple of incidents' of officers threatening to harm themselves in the wake of the attack on Capitol Hill. This includes a female officer who turned in her own weapon for fear of what might happen.

A source told @CBSNews the dept. is 'demoralized'. 'There’s tremendous moral injury, a sense of failure weighing them down. They went home to family and were asked how did this happen. And it’s very easy for those officers to interpret that as ‘how could you let this happen?’"

caseyedwards

Biden himself expects huge numbers of migrants as He ends all deportations for 100 days. He expects it could be 2 million!

I mean he plans to reward the parents efforts to bring their kids to America by making them citizens so everyone is rushing to america so their kids can dreamers

It’s possible though Biden will grant asylum for all so there is never a undocumented young person under his presidency

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
What is a hard power off?
When you press and hold either volume button (up or down) and the side (power) button until the power off slider appears. Then slide it off. It takes about 30 seconds but then your phone is really off. Or as off as it gets.

If you just press the power button, many apps and functions continue to work in the background. Your GPS is one of them.

Judy

Then we have this thread about the psychological impact on capitol police:

"NEWS: The US Capitol Police has had to respond to 'a couple of incidents' of officers threatening to harm themselves in the wake of the attack on Capitol Hill. This includes a female officer who turned in her own weapon for fear of what might happen.

A source told @CBSNews the dept. is 'demoralized'. 'There’s tremendous moral injury, a sense of failure weighing them down. They went home to family and were asked how did this happen. And it’s very easy for those officers to interpret that as ‘how could you let this happen?’"
That’s awful. I agree never though this was the police officers fault (I’m not saying that there weren’t great officers who are now under investigation. It goes higher than that somehow.

Judy

When you press and hold either volume button (up or down) and the side (power) button until the power off slider appears. Then slide it off. It takes about 30 seconds but then your phone is really off. Or as off as it gets.

If you just press the power button, many apps and functions continue to work in the background. Your GPS is one of them.
I always do that when I charge as it goes a bit faster.

ballettmaus

I had a look at four threads and didn't see this posted, so apologies if it has been. According to the WaPo, the Secret Service indicated that an officer is under investigation for pro-Trump posts made on FB. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...live-updates/#link-MI5UQ5SEWVCHFLGSGYUKPHYARU

According to screenshots provided to The Washington Post, the officer posted a meme on Facebook of Trump shaking hands with himself in the Oval Office, titled “Here’s to the Peaceful Transition of Power.” The day after the attack on the Capitol, a comment posted in the officer’s name ridiculed efforts to remove Trump from office and accused lawmakers who were formally accepting the electoral vote of “committing treason on live tv.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information