Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballettmaus

LATEST: Trump, confident VP and cabinet won’t attempt to remove him under 25th Amendment, is planning defiant final days in office—more pardons, trip to Alamo, possible action on Big Tech companies.
From https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1348253497813299202?s=20
The Alamo, uh? Quite the symbol. What does he plan to do there?

I am still extremely confused what Trump expected Pence to do Wednesday. Was he supposed to rip up the ballots? Throw them out the window?
Declare Trump President.

Meoima

But the experience seemed to have only hardened the resolve of others. Couy Griffin, 47, a Republican county commissioner from New Mexico, spoke of organizing another Capitol rally soon — one that could result in “blood running out of that building” — in a video he later posted to the Facebook page of his group, Cowboys for Trump.
From https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/us/capitol-rioters.html

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
But the experience seemed to have only hardened the resolve of others. Couy Griffin, 47, a Republican county commissioner from New Mexico, spoke of organizing another Capitol rally soon — one that could result in “blood running out of that building” — in a video he later posted to the Facebook page of his group, Cowboys for Trump.
People like him must be stopped. I hope the FBI is watching. This county commissioner must resign. Such violent people should not be allowed to hold positions of responsibility.

Sparks

That guy is a clown and everyone knows it in NM. He wasn't "hardened". He has always been an anti-govt kook.

once_upon

I'm not sure what the end game of the "Patriots" or whatever the call themselves is. Overthrow the government and then what?

Eventually someone needs to be in charge - even the survivalist would have to admit that. You have to rely on others for something eventually.

I mean if needed, why would I barter with you if "I have enough for me"? why would I put out the fire at your house - its not mine so screw you? Why would I do medical care for you or your family?

I'm just not sure what the end game is

skatingguy

Golden Team
I am still extremely confused what Trump expected Pence to do Wednesday. Was he supposed to rip up the ballots? Throw them out the window?
The theory, as I understand it, is that Pence could set aside the electoral votes of those states where there were two sets of electors. The problem was that the alternate state electors that they get referring to weren't certified by any elected body, as would be necessary to have two conflicting sets, but by independent groups of Trump supporters.

caseyedwards

Dump stupid idiots I hate them! Why don’t they fight?! Do you know as late as early 2015 Romney was huge frontrunner for Republican nomination until he made it clear he wasn’t running?

caseyedwards

Authoritarianism is already here! How can people say it isn’t. 74 million people have lost their modern way of exercising their first amendment. Left wing big social media companies are silencing all right wingers. That’s not democracy. That’s a president being silenced from modern communication by liberal companies.

Japanfan

74 million people have lost their modern way of exercising their first amendment. Left wing big social media companies are silencing all right wingers. That’s not democracy. That’s a president being silenced from modern communication by liberal companies.

:D

Left wing media sure did a poor job of silencing the rioters last Wednesday.

VGThuy

For the record, the First Amendment doesn't cover blatant lies nor does it cover incitement of violence that passes the clear and present danger test. Anyway, they still have Fox News and talk radio. Facebook is still as nutty as ever. There are tons of conservatives on Twitter hashtagging and picking fights as we speak. Tons of conservative-leaning and full alt-right videos on Youtube being published every minute. Let's not even talk about various comments sections of a variety of media.

Like I said in the other thread, Parler wasn't going to take off anyway. These people need to fulfill the need to "troll the libtards". It's part of their codependency and getting the attention they're starving for.

Meoima

House Majority Whip James Clyburn has said that the ease in which Wednesday’s rioters were able to access the U.S. Capitol makes it seem as if “something untoward may have been going on.”

“I have an unmarked office—you got to know exactly where it is,” the South Carolina Democrat told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “It’s where I spend most of my time doing my work as the majority whip. I have a staff who work real hard trying to keep up with the members—trying to make sure they do an effective job of managing the votes once they get to the floor.”

From House Majority Whip James Clyburn Believes Someone Knew About Capitol Hill Attack From Inside (yahoo.com)

Cachoo

The next authoritarian will be more competent. This is scary.
Let's look at specimen #1: Josh Hawley. This is from the NYT's "The Roots of Josh Hawley's Rage":

How did we get to the point where one of the bright young stars of the Republican Party appears to be at war with both truth and democracy?
Mr. Hawley himself, as it happens, has been making the answer plain for some time. It’s just a matter of listening to what he has been saying.
In multiple speeches, an interview and a widely shared article for Christianity Today, Mr. Hawley has explained that the blame for society’s ills traces all the way back to Pelagius — a British-born monk who lived 17 centuries ago. In a 2019 commencement address at The King’s College, a small conservative Christian college devoted to “a biblical worldview,” Mr. Hawley denounced Pelagius for teaching that human beings have the freedom to choose how they live their lives and that grace comes to those who do good things, as opposed to those who believe the right doctrines.
The most eloquent summary of the Pelagian vision, Mr. Hawley went on to say, can be found in the Supreme Court’s 1992 opinion in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Mr. Hawley specifically cited Justice Anthony Kennedy’s words reprovingly: “At the heart of liberty,” Kennedy wrote, “is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.” The fifth century church fathers were right to condemn this terrifying variety of heresy, Mr. Hawley argued: “Replacing it and repairing the harm it has caused is one of the challenges of our day.”
In other words, Mr. Hawley’s idea of freedom is the freedom to conform to what he and his preferred religious authorities know to be right. Mr. Hawley is not shy about making the point explicit. In a 2017 speech to the American Renewal Project, he declared — paraphrasing the Dutch Reformed theologian and onetime prime minister Abraham Kuyper — “There is not one square inch of all creation over which Jesus Christ is not Lord.” Mr. Kuyper is perhaps best known for his claim that Christianity has sole legitimate authority over all aspects of human life.
“We are called to take that message into every sphere of life that we touch, including the political realm,” Mr. Hawley said. “That is our charge. To take the Lordship of Christ, that message, into the public realm, and to seek the obedience of the nations. Of our nation!”
Mr. Hawley has built his political career among people who believe that Shariah is just around the corner even as they attempt to secure privileges for their preferred religious groups to discriminate against those of whom they disapprove. Before he won election as a senator, he worked for Becket, a legal advocacy group that often coordinates with the right-wing legal juggernaut the Alliance Defending Freedom. He is a familiar presence on the Christian right media circuit.
The American Renewal Project, which hosted the event where Mr. Hawley delivered the speech I mentioned earlier, was founded by David Lane, a political organizer who has long worked behind the scenes to connect conservative pastors and Christian nationalist figures with politicians. The choice America faces, according to Mr. Lane, is “to be faithful to Jesus or to pagan secularism.”
The line of thought here is starkly binary and nihilistic. It says that human existence in an inevitably pluralistic, modern society committed to equality is inherently worthless. It comes with the idea that a right-minded elite of religiously pure individuals should aim to capture the levers of government, then use that power to rescue society from eternal darkness and reshape it in accord with a divinely-approved view of righteousness.

caseyedwards

For the record, the First Amendment doesn't cover blatant lies nor does it cover incitement of violence that passes the clear and present danger test. Anyway, they still have Fox News and talk radio. Facebook is still as nutty as ever. There are tons of conservatives on Twitter hashtagging and picking fights as we speak. Tons of conservative-leaning and full alt-right videos on Youtube being published every minute. Let's not even talk about various comments sections of a variety of media.

Like I said in the other thread, Parler wasn't going to take off anyway. These people need to fulfill the need to "troll the libtards". It's part of their codependency and getting the attention they're starving for.
First amendment does cover lies. Not slander or libel

Meoima

The Trump administration is trying to push through a last minute rule that could force banks to offer loans to gun-makers, oil exploration companies, or to finance high-cost payday lenders.

The move follows announcements by the biggest U.S. banks that there are some industries and activities they don't want to finance, such as drilling for oil in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, or making loans to gun manufacturers who make assault-style weapons. Some major banks have sworn off making those loans.

Now, a Trump-appointed banking regulator is pushing for a rule that considers that an unfair discriminatory practice.

"It's a very poorly constructed rule," says John Court, the head of regulatory affairs at the Bank Policy Institute, which represents the biggest banks in the country. He says the rule is, "clearly hastily conceived and hastily constructed."

From Trump Regulator's Rule Would Force Banks To Lend To Gun-Makers And Oil Drillers : NPR

VGThuy

It's pretty clear many law firms, judges, and justices should rethink their policies on only hiring people from Ivy Leagues. Honestly, only Clarence Thomas has done a good job going beyond Ivy Leagues because he likes the fringe of the fringe of the far right to clerk for him.

quartz

almost, but not quite
Let's look at specimen #1: Josh Hawley. This is from the NYT's "The Roots of Josh Hawley's Rage":

How did we get to the point where one of the bright young stars of the Republican Party appears to be at war with both truth and democracy?
Mr. Hawley himself, as it happens, has been making the answer plain for some time. It’s just a matter of listening to what he has been saying.
In multiple speeches, an interview and a widely shared article for Christianity Today, Mr. Hawley has explained that the blame for society’s ills traces all the way back to Pelagius — a British-born monk who lived 17 centuries ago. In a 2019 commencement address at The King’s College, a small conservative Christian college devoted to “a biblical worldview,” Mr. Hawley denounced Pelagius for teaching that human beings have the freedom to choose how they live their lives and that grace comes to those who do good things, as opposed to those who believe the right doctrines.
The most eloquent summary of the Pelagian vision, Mr. Hawley went on to say, can be found in the Supreme Court’s 1992 opinion in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Mr. Hawley specifically cited Justice Anthony Kennedy’s words reprovingly: “At the heart of liberty,” Kennedy wrote, “is the right to define one’s own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.” The fifth century church fathers were right to condemn this terrifying variety of heresy, Mr. Hawley argued: “Replacing it and repairing the harm it has caused is one of the challenges of our day.”
In other words, Mr. Hawley’s idea of freedom is the freedom to conform to what he and his preferred religious authorities know to be right. Mr. Hawley is not shy about making the point explicit. In a 2017 speech to the American Renewal Project, he declared — paraphrasing the Dutch Reformed theologian and onetime prime minister Abraham Kuyper — “There is not one square inch of all creation over which Jesus Christ is not Lord.” Mr. Kuyper is perhaps best known for his claim that Christianity has sole legitimate authority over all aspects of human life.
“We are called to take that message into every sphere of life that we touch, including the political realm,” Mr. Hawley said. “That is our charge. To take the Lordship of Christ, that message, into the public realm, and to seek the obedience of the nations. Of our nation!”
Mr. Hawley has built his political career among people who believe that Shariah is just around the corner even as they attempt to secure privileges for their preferred religious groups to discriminate against those of whom they disapprove. Before he won election as a senator, he worked for Becket, a legal advocacy group that often coordinates with the right-wing legal juggernaut the Alliance Defending Freedom. He is a familiar presence on the Christian right media circuit.
The American Renewal Project, which hosted the event where Mr. Hawley delivered the speech I mentioned earlier, was founded by David Lane, a political organizer who has long worked behind the scenes to connect conservative pastors and Christian nationalist figures with politicians. The choice America faces, according to Mr. Lane, is “to be faithful to Jesus or to pagan secularism.”
The line of thought here is starkly binary and nihilistic. It says that human existence in an inevitably pluralistic, modern society committed to equality is inherently worthless. It comes with the idea that a right-minded elite of religiously pure individuals should aim to capture the levers of government, then use that power to rescue society from eternal darkness and reshape it in accord with a divinely-approved view of righteousness.
This is essentially the environment I was raised in and ran away from as soon as I turned 18 and could revoke my church membership. I have never regretted for one second being alone and starting over at that point in my life. The society I left behind then, disgusted me, today, it terrifies me. Note in particular “...freedom to conform...”

Meoima

The Supreme Court of the United States granted certiorari Friday in two cases challenging the Trump administration’s distribution of $8 billion dollars of ******** Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding. The consolidated cases are Mnuchin v. Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation and Alaska Native Village Corporation Association v. Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation.

The aid was to be given to “tribal governments” and was specifically earmarked for easing the monetary burdens of the *********-19 fallout. A group of tribal governments alleged in a federal lawsuit that the aid meant for them actually went to more than 230 Alaska Native for-profit corporations (ANCs).

From SCOTUS Grants Cert In Native American CARES Act Case | Law & Crime (lawandcrime.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information