Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Meoima

Anyway, after Georgia voting official @GabrielSterling basically implored people to tone down the rhetoric that's leading to violent threats, Trump ally L. Lin Wood says "You listen up, Gabriel. You're not going to sell our votes to China." Trumps ex-lawyer is in the background. And now they crowd has moved on to a "lock him up" chant for Georgia's Republican governor.
From https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1334217248760860677?s=20

:inavoid:I do believe these people need therapists.

Susan1

ballettmaus

Sure but name the crimes democrats want to put all the above in prison for. Democrats already announced they want to put the above in prison
They have announced that their intent is to jail Trump's children without any underlying crimes? Who has done that? When?

As far as crimes are concerned, Giuliani is still under investigation: https://www.vox.com/2019/11/26/20982629/rudy-giuliani-investigation-sdny-ukraine

The payments to Ivanka Trump are under investigation: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-investigating-trump-tax-write-offs-ivanka/

Trump (sexual harrassment and rape not included): https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...a539da-0e61-11eb-8a35-237ef1eb2ef7_story.html

As the NYT article stated, we're not aware of any (federal) crimes committed by his children. They might get swept up in the Trump organization or there might be more to the Mueller report. But since I'm not aware of any Democrat calling for anyone of Trump's family to be jailed without an investigation of a crime and evidence and/or a reference to a crime, I'm not going to spend a lot of time looking for links that deal with potential legal troubles for them.

You can try as hard as you want but fact is, Trump called for his political opponents to be jailed because they were his opponents and nothing else and no Democrat has done the same. Trump, his family and the people in his orbit are under investigation for actual crimes and those investigations are not done because they are anyone's opponent. They are done because there are reasons to suspect crimes.

Would these investigations have happened without Trump being President? I have no idea. I like to believe that the law would have caught up with him eventually. But even if not, these investigations aren't happening because he's President or was a horrible President or a Republican, they're happening because he's drawn attention to himself and those possible crimes by running for President. Too bad. :saint:

ballettmaus

Data shows that PPP loans were paid to properties owned by Trump and Kushner. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bu...ents-data-reveals-troubling-patterns-n1249629

• Over 25 PPP loans worth more than $3.65 million were given to businesses with addresses at Trump and Kushner real estate properties, paying rent to those owners. Fifteen of the properties self-reported that they only kept one job, zero jobs or did not report a number at all.
  • The loans to Trump and Kushner properties included a $2,164,543 loan to the Triomphe Restaurant Corp., at the Trump International Hotel & Tower in New York City. The company reported the money didn’t go to keeping any jobs. It later closed.
  • A company called LB City Inc, which is at Kushner’s Bungalow Hotel in Long Branch, New Jersey, received a loan for $505,552.50 that it used to keep 155 jobs.
  • Two tenants at 725 5th Avenue, Trump Tower, received more than $100,000 and kept only three jobs.
  • Four tenants at the Kushner-owned 666 5th Avenue combined received more than $204,000, and retained only six jobs.

Sparks

If anyone hasn't watched Dirty Money on netflix, I recommend it. Especially episode 3. It's about Kushner.

Susan1

This just made a comeback. Except Pinocchio says "Who the hell.........".

Snow White, Superman and Pinocchio

Snow White, Superman and Pinocchio are walking down the street.  They come across a sign that says: Beauty Contest.

Snow White says she is going to enter.  After a while she comes out with the 1st prize.

They walk further and come across a sign that reads: Strongest man contest.

Superman enters and after a while comes out with the 1st prize.

They walk further and then come across a sign: Worlds BIGGEST LIAR.  Pinocchio says "This one is for me".

After a while he comes out with big tears in his eyes.  Superman and Snow White both ask "What happened?"

Pinocchio says, "Who on earth is this Donald Trump?

FiveRinger

This may be a really stupid question, and my apologies if it’s been discussed and I just missed it, but how can you be pardoned if you’re not actually charged and/or convicted of anything? A president can’t just grant legal immunity to anyone for future charges, can they?
I had the same question. Rachel Maddow addressed this on her show last night. Apparently, there are some questions about the legalities of this, and it has to be done carefully. In summary, the lawyers would have to be involved, because if it wasn't done properly, all of those said pardoned people who have not been charged with any crime could still be charged and convicted. It's all really complicated. Nothing is ever simple with this bunch.

FiveRinger

They have announced that their intent is to jail Trump's children without any underlying crimes? Who has done that? When?

As far as crimes are concerned, Giuliani is still under investigation: https://www.vox.com/2019/11/26/20982629/rudy-giuliani-investigation-sdny-ukraine

The payments to Ivanka Trump are under investigation: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-investigating-trump-tax-write-offs-ivanka/

Trump (sexual harrassment and rape not included): https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...a539da-0e61-11eb-8a35-237ef1eb2ef7_story.html

As the NYT article stated, we're not aware of any (federal) crimes committed by his children. They might get swept up in the Trump organization or there might be more to the Mueller report. But since I'm not aware of any Democrat calling for anyone of Trump's family to be jailed without an investigation of a crime and evidence and/or a reference to a crime, I'm not going to spend a lot of time looking for links that deal with potential legal troubles for them.

You can try as hard as you want but fact is, Trump called for his political opponents to be jailed because they were his opponents and nothing else and no Democrat has done the same. Trump, his family and the people in his orbit are under investigation for actual crimes and those investigations are not done because they are anyone's opponent. They are done because there are reasons to suspect crimes.

Would these investigations have happened without Trump being President? I have no idea. I like to believe that the law would have caught up with him eventually. But even if not, these investigations aren't happening because he's President or was a horrible President or a Republican, they're happening because he's drawn attention to himself and those possible crimes by running for President. Too bad. :saint:
Rachel mentioned this on her show also in the same segment that she was discussing Trump pardoning his kids and Giuliani. She was speaking with a reporter from the WP (Michael I'm sorry I can't remember his last name). One of Rachel's questions was why Giuliani hasn't been brought up on charges now, or further, why he wasn't brought up on charges before the election. The response was, with Trump screaming about voter fraud and conspiracies and how the election was stolen from him, the last thing that SUNY wants to do now is to play into those theories by indicting the lawyer of the candidate. Summarily speaking. So any charges that would be brought against Giuliani or his kids would not occur until after Trump was no longer in office.

once_upon

Gerald Ford granted Richard Nixon a plenary pardon that covered not only those cases where Nixon was already identified as unindicted co-conspirator, but also all federal crimes that he may have committed prior to the date of pardon. Ford wanted the nation to heal and move on. Whether things worked out as he hoped is an open question.
Its my understanding that Andrew Johnson pardoned all confederate soldiers (who i assume weren't charged with a crime) and Jimmy Carter pardoned all Draft Dodgers (again i assumed hadn't been charged with a crime)?

caseyedwards

Its my understanding that Andrew Johnson pardoned all confederate soldiers (who i assume weren't charged with a crime) and Jimmy Carter pardoned all Draft Dodgers (again i assumed hadn't been charged with a crime)?
Lincoln started the pardon process. He didn’t want to be in never ending conflict with confederates. Unlike most politicians today who want to restart the punishments for some reason!

Meoima

Trump mulls preemptive pardons for up to 20 allies, even as Republicans balk​

The clemency would be unprecedented, and some Republicans are expressing initial hesitation. But they’re not telling Trump to stop.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Again we are reminded that Trump rhymes with chump.

President Trump’s campaign and its affiliated committees spent more than $1.1 million at Trump’s own properties in the last weeks of the 2020 campaign — continuing a pattern of self-enrichment in which Trump has converted $6.7 million from his campaign donors into revenue for his businesses since taking office, new campaign finance filings show.

Republicans seem to be entirely willing to be fleeced by this con artist. I don't understand why. He's destroying them.

Trump campaign committees spent $1.1 million at Trump properties in the last days of his losing campaign - The Washington Post

ballettmaus

BREAKING Wisconsin announced the state will have a trophy wolf hunt next year. This follows the Trump administration's decision to strip federal protections for gray wolves across the lower 48 states.
From https://twitter.com/nywolforg/status/1334944563073601537?s=20
There are moments when it gets to me how disrespectful some people are of nature and this is one of them. I guess, if I look at the YKW numbers and how close the election was in Wisconsin, I probably shouldn't be surprised. Still. :(

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Again we are reminded that Trump rhymes with chump.

Republicans seem to be entirely willing to be fleeced by this con artist. I don't understand why. He's destroying them.

Trump campaign committees spent $1.1 million at Trump properties in the last days of his losing campaign - The Washington Post

Not only are they being fleeced, but from everything I've read, the Trump hotels, resorts, golf clubs, etc. are more about the mighty TRUMP name rather than providing a good experience for the guests. Not well maintained, terrible overpriced food, and badly run. I guess staying at the local Trump facility is preferable to staying at the local No-Tell Motel, but it certainly doesn't sound like somewhere that most people would choose to stay if they had the option.

Meoima

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Japanfan

Not only are they being fleeced, but from everything I've read, the Trump hotels, resorts, golf clubs, etc. are more about the mighty TRUMP name rather than providing a good experience for the guests. Not well maintained, terrible overpriced food, and badly run. I guess staying at the local Trump facility is preferable to staying at the local No-Tell Motel, but it certainly doesn't sound like somewhere that most people would choose to stay if they had the option.

I perused reviews of Trump Tower restaurant one night when I couldn't sleep. The reviews were generally positive - e.g. good food at reasonable prices.

And I'd prefer the No-Tell Motel to a Trump facility. No way I would give any money to a Trump business.

Susan1

He's going to get us all killed.

jenny12

US troops being everywhere with no end date and becoming permanent occupying forces is the real gift to terrorists.

Sure, America’s occupation of many parts of the world continues to be one of the most dangerous things that this country does. However, Trump is just replacing them with Erik Prince’s mercenaries and private wars are even more dangerous than public ones.

Essentially, he is moving that Somalia war to Kenya which is just continuing America’s permanent occupation of too many parts of the world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information