Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan1

He certainly can't pardon himself for future crimes or for crimes under state law.

There is some uncertainty whether a President can pardon himself for any federal crimes he may have committed. A future Department of Justice could litigate the issue, but I don't think it will do so with respect to Trump. Why not? He's facing state charges.
I know he can't get out of the state charges. But I swear I thought I read somewhere awhile ago that he would pardon himself or Pence would for anything he did once he's out of office? Somebody?

I couldn't open the Wapo one, but here's a piece of an article from
https://www.npr.org/sections/live-a...barrett-elides-what-booker-calls-a-live-issue

"Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., seemed unsurprised by the nominee's reticence — likely because she has been giving versions of the same answer all day — but said he too believes it may become an issue that confronts Washington at some point.

"I think I agree with you," Booker said. "It is an issue right now. It's never been an issue before. But it is an issue right now — that our president may intend to pardon himself for future crimes or past crimes." "

Now I can't open any yahoo articles. It comes up completely blank?

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Question - this talk about trump pardoning himself? Wouldn't that be admitting guilt? And if it's supposed to cover all future crimes, is he telegraphing that he is planning on committing crimes?
It's unclear if Trump can pardon himself. Legal experts are mixed on whether this would hold. His best bet is to resign and get Pence to do it.

Some people will say that accepting a pardon is admitting guilt but it's not legally admitting guilt. And Trump's base doesn't think he's guilty of anything so they won't interpret that way.

I believe Nixon was pardoned for any future prosecutions as well. I don't think this means he was pardoned for anything he might do in the future but for any prosecutions that are not active at the time of his pardon but would have come up as past behavior continued to be investigated. Trump would be wise to get such a pardon as well.

The only stick I see in the spoke of the wheels of a Trump pardon is that I don't think Trump would ever resign. I think he's stupid enough to try to pardon himself instead.
I think all possible domains need to be brought up so Trump won't have any options for his website's names.
Because that will stop him from running? I laugh at these things along with the rest of you but sometimes I see people getting totally caught up in these things and I don't think they are worth even one iota of energy.

ballettmaus

Can't wait for Trump's twitter to be taken off him after the 20th Jan.
I'm not so sure it'll happen. I won't be surprised if Twitter says he's a former President and different rules apply, like they said about his current account.

There is some uncertainty whether a President can pardon himself for any federal crimes he may have committed. A future Department of Justice could litigate the issue, but I don't think it will do so with respect to Trump. Why not? He's facing state charges.
I read a comment by one of the legal pundits yesterday (Neal Katyal or Elie Honig I believe but I'm not sure) that if he really does pardon himself, it needs to be challenged in court. If they don't challenge it then it would signal future Presidents that they are above the law.
I think they're right.

Tim Kaine's comment on the Flynn pardon. :D https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/1331733298528329743

caseyedwards

Can someone explain why we allow a President to pardon someone that commits crimes that benefit them, their campaign or their administration? This seems like an area we could fix.
Flynn said he didn’t remember and the FBI agents said they didn’t feel it was a lie and it was a genuine “I don’t remember.” The facts of The case are that flynn told Russians not to go nuts on retribution. How evil!!! Lol

Susan1

Can someone explain why we allow a President to pardon someone that commits crimes that benefit them, their campaign or their administration? This seems like an area we could fix.
trump fired Flynn. trump was impeached. And then trump pardoned Flynn. Seriously messed up.

Vagabond

I read a comment by one of the legal pundits yesterday (Neal Katyal or Elie Honig I believe but I'm not sure) that if he really does pardon himself, it needs to be challenged in court. If they don't challenge it then it would signal future Presidents that they are above the law.
I think they're right.
I agree with them, but I am doubtful that the Department of Justice will take up the matter.

caseyedwards

The problem is all Trumps USA’s are going to be fired by Biden January 20th and then he will replace them. So if Biden reappointed Preet bharara and the first thing he does is try to put all the trumps in prison that’s Biden. And it’s news 24/7! Or whoever Biden appoints for florida! You have to think of the way this would play out in the press too! Bidens US attorneys trying to put Trumps in prison. Since all democrats are so committed to putting all the Trumps in prison without first having indicted any for anything preemptive pardons would be amazing for Biden. Then he faces no allegations of trying to put many of his political opponents in prison

sk9tingfan

I agree with them, but I am doubtful that the Department of Justice will take up the matter.
Neal Katyal just said on MSNBC that Trump cannot pardon himself, based on the legal principle that you cannot serve as judge in your own case. I guess we'll have to see what transpires

MsZem

Can't wait for Trump's twitter to be taken off him after the 20th Jan.
That's not going to happen. Trump will no longer have the POTUS twitter handle, but he uses his personal account anyway. What will happen is that Twitter will start enforcing its policies when it comes to his account, and he could end up suspended or banned:

Susan1

Chris Hayes ran through interesting connections last night. Funny first - trump pardoned the turkey, Flynn didn't register as a foreign agent from Turkey. Flynn lied to the FBI twice, Comey got fired for not letting the Flynn thing go. Sidney Powell was representing Flynn, then trump, then not. When is this bad reality show going to be over?

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Conspiracy to kidnap, for one. But the pardon covers all past acts.
Not if it’s the Commonwealth of PA pressing the charges. That’s state, not federal. Also, this pardon can backfire on Trump. Flynn can now be compelled to testify without Fifth Amendment protections.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Then PA should press charges for conspiracy to kidnap imo. But in PA court, couldn't Flynn still take the 5th, since he has not been pardoned in PA?

Susan1

Did we already cover this? I just saw it on FB
"But Trump's pardon, which he announced in a tweet, means Flynn will theoretically no longer be protected from self-incrimination under the 5th Amendment should he ever be called to testify against Trump."

The comments made me LOL. :D:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information