Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I was searching for something else and came across this link. It's a brief summary of what Rep. Clyburn said on CNN a couple of weeks ago. What struck me is this:

The reason it struck me is because polls have shown that the trust in the news media has been declining. The decline is coming from the Republican side but it's still a decline so it's an odd statement for someone like Clyburn. The most recent poll shows trust has dropped by about 9 points. https://morningconsult.com/2020/04/22/media-credibility-cable-news-poll/

(The poll results are also another reason to ask: how are we going to fight this. Trump will not go away, so I have a hard time believing Republicans will trust the media again once he's gone. And if they don't trust the media, they will trust fake news and if they do, we can't counter the fake narrative and conspiracy theories and if we're not able to do that, how are we going to bring the country back together?)
We're not going to be able to bring the country back together. There will always be a hardcore minority that will be for Trump forever, and against everyone who is not a Trumper. They are a lost cause as they've gone so far down the rabbit hole there is no coming back. The best we can hope for is to bring the more sensible Republicans back into the fold with more sensible Republican candidates. These would be the Republicans who voted for Trump not because they worship him, but because they honestly believed he was better for their net worth or were still hung up on the pro-life thing, but not believing the Democratic Party is Satan; they just prefer conservatism.

caseyedwards

What is one concrete piece of evidence that would prove Americans have been brought together? I mean what does that entail? Like when bush had all Americans united after 9/11 and invaded Afghanistan and Iraq?

Or like some nfl team with trump supporters wins the Super Bowl and the Trump supporters go to the White House?

Forget that! An nba team wins the championship and no one discusses politics at all! They all go to White House no problem and no one ever discusses politics! And that would mean Americans are all united again and there’s no problems.

But then it’s hard to believe that wouldn’t become a political message

It’s possible US is already there. Republican Graham wants to pass bidens pathway to citizenship plan. That’s something. Republican Toomey wants to pass bidens gun control plan. That’s something too!

Last edited:

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
The way I see it is If Norman Shinkle and the other republican board member doesn't certify Wayne County's election results in Michigan, then they both will literally be hanging themselves because they would more than likely lose their licenses and could also be replaced by the Governor, Gretchen Whitmer.

So Norman Shinkle is willing to do this for Trump knowing it's his responsibility to certify, will lose his license and possibly be replaced. It reminds me of the Hitler Youth. They were willing to die in battle for Adolf Hitler. And that's what it boils down to; Norman Shinkle sacrificing himself for Trump.

A lot of the speculation is that Trump cannot accept losing. But there are more factors to add to it than just being that he can't accept losing. He faces a lot of lawsuits and investigations once he leaves office on January 20th. He becomes a citizen again, and there goes his protection that the Presidency holds.

I know I've talked about what Trump did to the people of Scotland when he built that luxury golf hotel. Trump has to face the reality of that going against him, too.

Scottish govt calls for probe into Trump’s golf investments, World News | wionews.com

The government in Edinburgh has been urged to order a probe into the financing of Donald Trump's business interests in Scotland.

The incumbent US president owns Trump International Golf Links Scotland in Aberdeenshire, northeast Scotland, and Turnberry, in southwest Ayrshire.

Scottish Green Party leader Patrick Harvie asked First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to use the Criminal Finances Act to investigate Trump's two golf courses in the country. He apparently said there was a "need to protect Scotland's good name from association with the toxic Trump brand".

Harvie also highlighted accusations the Trump Organisation repeatedly reporting different financial details in the United States to those in the UK about his Scottish golf courses.

"Now that Trump is due to lose immunity from prosecution in the US, he may finally be held to account there. Is it not the case that he is also held to account here?" he said, according to AFP.

"Unexplained wealth orders -- also called "McMafia laws" -- were introduced by the UK government in 2017 as a mechanism to fight money laundering. It gives law enforcement agencies the power to seize and, if necessary, sell suspicious assets, particularly property, whose owners cannot explain how they paid for them.

In October last year Trump International Golf Club Scotland reported a loss of £1.07 million for 2018 after a £1.25 million loss in 2017.

Harvie's party has opposed the development of Trump's Aberdeenshire course -- and proposals to build a second nearby -- on environmental grounds.

It stands to reason that it's part of why Trump is trying everything in his power to remain President of the United States of America. He may be facing a prison sentence because of so many lawsuits and investigations including international investigations.

And there you have it. He knows that once he's a 'citizen' again that his dirty laundry will do him in.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
The way I see it is If Norman Shinkle and the other republican board member doesn't certify Wayne County's election results in Michigan, then they both will literally be hanging themselves because they would more than likely lose their licenses and could also be replaced by the Governor, Gretchen Whitmer.

So Norman Shinkle is willing to do this for Trump knowing it's his responsibility to certify, will lose his license and possibly be replaced. It reminds me of the Hitler Youth. They were willing to die in battle for Adolf Hitler. And that's what it boils down to; Norman Shinkle sacrificing himself for Trump.

A lot of the speculation is that Trump cannot accept losing. But there are more factors to add to it than just being that he can't accept losing. He faces a lot of lawsuits and investigations once he leaves office on January 20th. He becomes a citizen again, and there goes his protection that the Presidency holds.

I know I've talked about what Trump did to the people of Scotland when he built that luxury golf hotel. Trump has to face the reality of that going against him, too.

Scottish govt calls for probe into Trump’s golf investments, World News | wionews.com

It stands to reason that it's part of why Trump is trying everything in his power to remain President of the United States of America. He may be facing a prison sentence because of so many lawsuits and investigations including international investigations.

And there you have it. He knows that once he's a 'citizen' again that his dirty laundry will do him in.
I hope he goes to prison- sooner the better, and for more serious charges than just SDNY financial charges - like the death of 260,000 plus Americans. He intentionally hid the information, blocked the transfer of ykw info to the transition team, etc. I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. What he did to the country amounted to treason (if the YKW can be considered a War).

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Michigan's state board certifies Biden's win - CNNPolitics

One of the two Republican members of the Michigan state canvassing board, Aaron Van Langevelde, joined the two Democrats to vote to certify the election results, after it was unclear how he would vote prior to the meeting.

The question of certifying Michigan's election results moved center stage amid the Trump campaign's dubious claims of voter fraud and efforts in court to delay certification and overturn the results in several key states that voted for Biden. As the Michigan board debated Monday, Pennsylvania's Supreme Court rejected the Trump campaign's effort to block the counting of certain absentee ballots -- clearing the way for votes to be certified in multiple counties, including Philadelphia.

The other Republican on the board, Norman Shinkle, abstained. He argued that the board should not certify the election results until an investigation into voting in Wayne County -- the state's largest, which includes Detroit -- was completed. Shinkle asked the Republican-led Michigan legislature to conduct a review of the 2020 election.

Thank Goodness Aaron Van Langevelde did the right thing. :respec:

Susan1

Susan1

caseyedwards

He doesn’t have to stay president. He can also leave the United States.most Democrats are so so so desperate for all the Trumps to be placed in jail but I would prefer not to have 24/7 media coverage of trump when he’s no longer president! Like a trial would mean more coverage of trump than when he was president!!!!!!!! More trump. 24/7 2021 2022 2023 etc. maybe this is what democrats prefer. “Bloody shirt” trump era

If 1994 was all about oj trial 2022 could be all about trump trial. Slight difference is that I don’t believe NY allows for tv trials but I am reminded of 2005 E re-enactments of michael Jackson’s trial

Probably CNN MSNBC maybe even Fox do re-enactments of the Trump trial

Judy

FB hysterical -

something else -

oh my 😂😂😂.

Vagabond

Then he named names.

They were: Rob Portman (Ohio), Lamar Alexander (Tennessee), Ben Sasse (Nebraska), Roy Blunt (Missouri), Susan Collins (Maine), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), John Cornyn (Texas), John Thune (South Dakota), Mitt Romney (Utah), Mike Braun and Todd Young (Indiana), Tim Scott (South Carolina), Rick Scott and Marco Rubio (Florida), Chuck Grassley (Iowa), Richard Burr (North Carolina), Pat Toomey (Pennsylvania), Martha McSally (Arizona), Jerry Moran and Pat Roberts (Kansas) and Richard Shelby (Alabama).
Will the craven silence continue, or should we stand by and prepare for angry Tweets? Or both? :unsure:
:blocjudge

skatingguy

Golden Team

caseyedwards

Will the craven silence continue, or should we stand by and prepare for angry Tweets? Or both? :unsure:
:blocjudge
“Privately” anyone who ever heard thune speak or read a quote of thunes knows he wasn’t private about it. What’s this “privately” word? Like read some quotes of thunes.

Thune never supported Trump. He voted for Hillary in 2016 and Biden in 2020

These people lol especially Rubio were never private about it.

Of course they should have voted to impeach and remove Trump in 2017 and they didn’t when they had the chance in 2020 but they were never private about their reservations and deciced to let the American people defeat him and they did. You can not like this position but they were correct. And they mostly all voted to ban trumps wall and ban him from making any policy on Russia

These people got tired of attacking trump to Manu Raju. They were not going to impeach and remove Trump and did not. They wanted the American people to. So they criticized without attacking. Attacking trump didn’t remove Trump from the presidency! They criticized and helped Biden tremendously by doing so.

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
So does Trump step down and let Pence pardon him just before Melania has to do the decorations, and she just lets Mother do it? In which case, Pence is 46, and Biden 47, Trump & Melania retire to Mar a Lago, Pence gets the presidential pension for a month's work, and everyone who bought 46 gear is advertising Pence.

A president also gets:

By law, former presidents are entitled to a pension, staff and office expenses, medical care or health insurance, and Secret Service protection.

Vice presidents only get pensions based on the other government offices they have held.

Susan1

Lame-duck president pardons turkey; <- (I snorted so hard, I choked) LOL​

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump emerged from self-imposed isolation on Tuesday to show that at least one thing in Washington would run according to tradition: the pardoning of a Thanksgiving turkey.

In the Rose Garden, Trump stuck to the script in pardoning a 42-pound turkey named Corn as part of an annual presidential ritual, the sparing of a turkey from American dinner tables on the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday.

"Corn, I hereby grant you a full pardon,” Trump said, raising a hand over the white bird with long wattle.

Corn gobbled approvingly after the pardon to applause from the seated crowd of White House staffers, many of them wearing masks to guard against the ********."

ballettmaus

Lame-duck president pardons turkey; <- (I snorted so hard, I choked) LOL​

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump emerged from self-imposed isolation on Tuesday to show that at least one thing in Washington would run according to tradition: the pardoning of a Thanksgiving turkey.

In the Rose Garden, Trump stuck to the script in pardoning a 42-pound turkey named Corn as part of an annual presidential ritual, the sparing of a turkey from American dinner tables on the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday.

"Corn, I hereby grant you a full pardon,” Trump said, raising a hand over the white bird with long wattle.

Corn gobbled approvingly after the pardon to applause from the seated crowd of White House staffers, many of them wearing masks to guard against the ********."
Speaking of a lame duck. https://www.tagesspiegel.de/
The cartoon is at the bottom of the page (below all of the article links). Can't link directly, just scroll down. No German language skills required. ;)

Susan1

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Vagabond

Question - this talk about trump pardoning himself? Wouldn't that be admitting guilt? And if it's supposed to cover all future crimes, is he telegraphing that he is planning on committing crimes?
He certainly can't pardon himself for future crimes or for crimes under state law.

There is some uncertainty whether a President can pardon himself for any federal crimes he may have committed. A future Department of Justice could litigate the issue, but I don't think it will do so with respect to Trump. Why not? He's facing state charges.

once_upon

This story showed up on my yahoo page -
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pushing-dozens-last-minute-193012151.html

"Donald Trump has sought fast-track authorisation for several administration-wide policy changes before he leaves the White House in January, including the use of firing squads and electrocutions in federal executions, according to a report from ProPublica."

Only if it's used on him.
I would think that using firing squads would be a double edged sword. I believe - please lawyers tell me if I'm wrong - a pardon is not for future crimes? If he sells state secrets to pay off his loans, he could be charged with treason

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information