Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

canbelto

Article about Trump firing many civil servants to ram through his nutty agenda:

That is what happened at the Energy Department’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, which was tasked by political appointees this year with carrying out a presidential whim as the election neared.
It was an appeal to suburban women. Trump issued a barrage of complaints at campaign rallies about the allegedly declining performance of dishwashers, shower heads, toilets and lightbulbs he said made him look orange. He blamed government efficiency standards.
The standards had been in place for years, and there was no groundswell of complaints from the industry. But the engineers and analysts put aside other priorities. The political appointees dictated that they approve a new class of dishwasher that cycles in less than an hour and change the existing shower-head rule to allow multiple nozzles at a time — and a bigger blast of water.
“We can resist for only so long,” said one official who was not authorized to speak publicly and commented on the condition of anonymity.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is an absolutely brilliant column from Susan Faludi in the NY Times. Its not really possible to quote fairly, you need to read the whole thing. But she nails the perverted view of masculinity that Trump personifies and why it is not a throw back to the past but a concept only possible in our 21st century world. She calls it "ornamental" and says its all about appearance and popularity. I suppose maybe it is sort of a knock-off of the old body builder image (wasn't that stuff homoerotic?) that was all about appearance not actions.

I'd been thinking that this perverted notion of masculinity is actually a big part of Trump's appeal, and certainly seems to explain the small but actual support he gets from non-white people. Its as if people believe that snarling, grimacing, and name-calling are manly and show leadership; it mistakes bullying for leadership; Trump fits an exaggerated idea that real men don't show feelings by never displaying compassion.

Trump's Thoroughly Modern Masculinity

Contemporary manliness is increasingly defined by display — in Mr. Trump’s case, a pantomime of aggrieved aggression: the curled lip, the exaggerated snarl. Display permeates his ratings-obsessed presidency. It’s why he chose his vice president (he “looks very good”) and his former defense secretary (“If I’m doing a movie, I’d pick you, general”). The chief executive of Newsmax, Chris Ruddy, noted of his friend Mr. Trump’s inclinations, “It’s more about the look and the demeanor and the swagger.”

Ornamental manhood is the machismo equivalent of “I’m not a doctor but I play one on TV.” Or, in the boogaloo movement’s version, “I’m not actually a soldier but I wear camo and walk around downtown with my big gun.” (In Mr. Trump’s case, it’s “I’m not a successful builder but I played one on ‘The Apprentice.’”)

The great shame is not that Mr. Trump brought an anachronistic masculinity into the Oval Office, but that he used the Oval Office to market a very modern brand of compensatory manhood — with a twist.

Peaches LaTour

People seem to think logging is all about cutting down healthy trees and ending forests! It is not about healthy trees a lot of the time. It’s about dead and dying trees! So why not get rid of them

Professional logging companies clear cut acres of everything. They don't give a shit about what should be left & what needs to stay. Just take a drive through the forests of my area; they are testimony to the horrors these bastards inflict upon the land.

I often wish that when these types of loggers die, they are relegated to their own brand of Hell where an unrelenting, scorching sun beats down on them & there is not one tree there to provide them with shade.

canbelto

Bozo actually said this in his attempt to appeal to "suburban housewives"

"We’re getting your husbands back to work.”

Nancy Pelosi wants to know what century he is living in.

He;s appealing to a certain type of extremely conservative demographic. I had a friend (a male) who said all of society's problems could be traced back to women going to work. He said it made men feel "emasculated" and that it was better when men felt the "responsibility" to support their wives. I tried to point out that even in the 1950s many women had to work and he said "but they didn't want to."

He died of C19 this past May.

Japanfan

Professional logging companies clear cut acres of everything. They don't give a shit about what should be left & what needs to stay. Just take a drive through the forests of my area; they are testimony to the horrors these bastards inflict upon the land.

I often wish that when these types of loggers die, they are relegated to their own brand of Hell where an unrelenting, scorching sun beats down on them & there is not one tree there to provide them with shade.

I've seen the ugly and detrimental effects of clear cutting in my province, which is heavily forested.

But I think the loggers are just trying to earn a living and support their families. That is all.

It's not easy to transition from being a logger into another line of work.

Some years ago the loggers in my province created wilderness camping spots and put out maps to access those sites. Mr. Japanfan and I enjoyed many summers of perusing those old roads. We found some glorious spots - one overlooked a waterfall that was barely known to the locals - and had some wonderful adventures. And some spectacular car breakdowns too.

All that said, I'm for the trees moreso than for the loggers.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
This is an absolutely brilliant column from Susan Faludi in the NY Times. Its not really possible to quote fairly, you need to read the whole thing. But she nails the perverted view of masculinity that Trump personifies and why it is not a throw back to the past but a concept only possible in our 21st century world. She calls it "ornamental" and says its all about appearance and popularity. I suppose maybe it is sort of a knock-off of the old body builder image (wasn't that stuff homoerotic?) that was all about appearance not actions.

I'd been thinking that this perverted notion of masculinity is actually a big part of Trump's appeal, and certainly seems to explain the small but actual support he gets from non-white people. Its as if people believe that snarling, grimacing, and name-calling are manly and show leadership; it mistakes bullying for leadership; Trump fits an exaggerated idea that real men don't show feelings by never displaying compassion.

Hmmm. A possibility. But could also be the TV Reality training. In other words, sounds more like a casting call than staffing departments.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
He;s appealing to a certain type of extremely conservative demographic. I had a friend (a male) who said all of society's problems could be traced back to women going to work. He said it made men feel "emasculated" and that it was better when men felt the "responsibility" to support their wives. I tried to point out that even in the 1950s many women had to work and he said "but they didn't want to."
And don't forget that all society's problems are caused by single mothers so their sons don't have a male role model in the house. Doesn't matter that the male role model beat the sh*t out of the woman and that she became single because she was escaping domestic violence. It is more important to have a man around who tells the son to stop being a sissy and grow a set of balls.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I live in a forested community in California. A national forest is nearby, but much of the land is owned by private timber companies. If you were to drive only on the highway that goes through the area you'd never see any of the clear-cutting. It's well hidden from the road. But if you look at aerial maps, you can see the clear-cutting is extensive. We see a lot of the clear-cutting they do in Oregon because they don't hide it. You can see it right off the highways and freeways. We always comment to ourselves how ugly it is as we drive by, but with full knowledge there is as much clear-cutting where we live. But it's hidden from the general public so they get away with it without incurring public outrage. I'm not against logging - I'm against clear-cutting.

ballettmaus

Back in 2016, Erdogan wanted Biden to remove Preet Bharara who was investigating Halkbank and the judge who was involved in the case and the gold trader who had been indicted released. Biden refused. Erdogan tried again with Trump and was more successful until the disaster in Syria.
I guess, this is where Trump got the inspiration for Biden's non-existent Ukraine scandal? https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/us/politics/trump-erdogan-halkbank.html

For months, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey had been pressing President Trump to quash the investigation, which threatened not only the bank but potentially members of Mr. Erdogan’s family and political party. When Mr. Berman sat down with Mr. Barr, he was stunned to be presented with a settlement proposal that would give Mr. Erdogan a key concession.

Mr. Barr pressed Mr. Berman to allow the bank to avoid an indictment by paying a fine and acknowledging some wrongdoing. In addition, the Justice Department would agree to end investigations and criminal cases involving Turkish and bank officials who were allied with Mr. Erdogan and suspected of participating in the sanctions-busting scheme.

Six months earlier, Matthew G. Whitaker, the acting attorney general who ran the department from November 2018 until Mr. Barr arrived in February 2019, rejected a request from Mr. Berman for permission to file criminal charges against the bank, two lawyers involved in the investigation said. Mr. Whitaker blocked the move shortly after Mr. Erdogan repeatedly pressed Mr. Trump in a series of conversations in November and December 2018 to resolve the Halkbank matter.

The president was discussing an active criminal case with the authoritarian leader of a nation in which Mr. Trump does business; he reported receiving at least $2.6 million in net income from operations in Turkey from 2015 through 2018, according to tax records obtained by The New York Times.

ballettmaus

caseyedwards

jenny12

Thanks for posting this. I totally agree with your points as well as the great article. I’ve thought of this in terms of whiteness but it is true in terms of toxic masculinity as well. It connects to the gender-izing it wearing masks (Trump supporters thinking it shows weakness) and making the most vile behavior into a virtue by connecting to some kind of conception about being a strong man.

Toxic Masculinity and White Nationalism continue to be the greatest threats to this country so it is no wonder that Trump banks primarily on those two things for support.

caseyedwards

Nothing like a good old, balanced newspaper..................
One thing that’s truly amazing is that NYT never ever ever considered hiring anyone who voted or supported trump. How could this be? Plus all the people they hired to be conservatives and republicans now support Biden and are liberal on most issues. Mostly the Same with WAPO. Just makes one wonder about the kinds of people who get jobs as professional conservatives and republicans.

Last edited:

Judy

One thing that’s truly amazing is that NYT never ever ever considered hiring anyone who voted or supported trump. How could this be? Plus all the people they hired to be conservatives and republicans now support Biden and are liberal on most issues. Mostly the Same with WAPO. Just makes one wonder about the kinds of people who get jobs as professional conservatives and republicans.
Have you watched Unfit yet?

caseyedwards

The Dems did impeach him. But the Senate didn't because they were controlled by the GOP.
But they waited for Ukraine for some reason when they had all the proof and evidence that was being discussed in Unfit in January of 2019. It is completely justifiable to have impeached trump for malignant narcissism as soon as democrats gained the ability to do so.

Judy

Of course but what does it matter really when all the people in Trumps cabinet didn’t do 25th amendment removal and democrats didn’t impeach trump in January of 2019?
You should also watch Totally under Control on Prime. That one really upset me personally as a human being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information