Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Yes but... what do you think would happen if some body appointed by the House (obviously the Senate would not concur) said Donald Trump is hereby removed from office according to the 25th amendment?

I suppose though since it says by law it has to be approved by the House and Senate, and by veto-proof majorities? Presumably, this is to make a show of something by Pelosi but I still don't think its a good idea, even though I do think that there is a case to be made for the 25th amendment remedy, it would have to be invoked by Pence.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
To take the decision out of the hands of the President's lackeys and give it to neutral professionals and/or bipartisan appointees.

Does someone think Mitch McConnell is going to go along with this? If the Senate doesn't go along, then it doesn't happen. So there must be some other point to Pelosi making the gesture.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, he's batshit. He tweeted today that all the troops in Afghanistan were coming home before the election. Except, apparently he didn't bother to tell the Pentagon. It's whatever thought crosses his mind at the moment. He's completely manic.

I don't know what her plan is and I think we have to wait and see what actually happens.

Dobre

She's doing all she can as Speaker of the House.

I'm with this. There is a time for fighting the fights you can clearly win. And there is a time for stepping up & saying the current leader of the country is on drugs and impeding leaders' ability to govern. He kaboshed the stimulus fight that congress has been working on for months. He publicly tweeted that the justice department should charge his main political opponent, a former President, and a former Secretary of State with crimes. He forced the people who protect him to risk their lives for a photo op. He helped enable a deadly ***** to spread among our military and political leadership.

The question is not why is she doing something. The question is how dare anyone else not do something.

ballettmaus

I suppose though since it says by law it has to be approved by the House and Senate, and by veto-proof majorities? Presumably, this is to make a show of something by Pelosi but I still don't think its a good idea, even though I do think that there is a case to be made for the 25th amendment remedy, it would have to be invoked by Pence.

But does Pelosi do politics for show? She resisted impeachment until it absolutely, positively wasn't possible anymore and now she's starting 25th amendment talks for show? That doesn't add up.

Well, he's batshit. He tweeted today that all the troops in Afghanistan were coming home before the election. Except, apparently he didn't bother to tell the Pentagon. It's whatever thought crosses his mind at the moment. He's completely manic.

I don't know what her plan is and I think we have to wait and see what actually happens.

I'm under the impression that the steroids don't alter his thought process but rather they amplify the craziness that's already there.

emason

I don't think it is going to happen (ie removing him) but it sure is going to p*ss Trump off. Particularly on no other basis than Trump is insane. Delicious. :)

You think this is delicious, do you? Try actually living here in the US and see how you feel. There is nothing delicious about this awful situation.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
You think this is delicious, do you? Try actually living here in the US and see how you feel. There is nothing delicious about this awful situation.
I am sorry I didn't mean it that way. I was thinking more about Trump losing it over Pelosi taking that action. That was all.

But I can delete the comment if you are upset by it.

emason

I am sorry I didn't mean it that way. I was thinking more about Trump losing it over Pelosi taking that action. That was all.

But I can delete the comment if you are upset by it.

No, you don't have to delete it; your apology is accepted. It just hit a nerve with me because the political situation is so awful here at the moment; joking about certain aspects just makes it worse.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
But does Pelosi do politics for show? She resisted impeachment until it absolutely, positively wasn't possible anymore and now she's starting 25th amendment talks for show? That doesn't add up.

yeah so what @rfisher said, we need to wait and see and hear from her.

But politics is going to be playing a role, we can't just say the sensible thing is to remove Trump because he's batshit crazy, even though it is because he is. You've got McConnell for one thing, and the people around Trump in the WH, as well as the rightwing echo machine. Nancy knows she doesn't act in a vaccuum.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
No, you don't have to delete it; your apology is accepted. It just hit a nerve with me because the political situation is so awful here at the moment; joking about certain aspects just makes it worse.
Again I am sorry. I certainly didn't mean to upset you and can understand how nerves can be struck at this time.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
yeah so what @rfisher said, we need to wait and see and hear from her.

But politics is going to be playing a role, we can't just say the sensible thing is to remove Trump because he's batshit crazy, even though it is because he is. You've got McConnell for one thing...
I don't think she has any immediate plans re trying to remove Trump but should it become necessary in the future, it might be prudent to have some plans already thought out on how it would be implemented. As was mentioned above, if he loses the election but tries to block a peaceful transition -- I am sure there would be bipartisan support for it -- even from Mitch.

Last edited:

Susan1

I keep wishing I could hit something!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I do have to say that objectively speaking this is nuts:

In his first extended public comments since being diagnosed with the ***** last week, Mr. Trump called for the indictment of his predecessor, President Obama, and his current opponent, Joseph R. Biden Jr., as he revisited events of the 2016 campaign in a meandering, hourlong telephone interview on Fox Business Channel.

He assailed his secretary of state, attorney general, F.B.I. director and a senior Justice Department prosecutor because they have not charged Democrats or released politically damaging information about them. “These people should be indicted,” he said.

Or at least it is inconceivable that a president of the United States would be saying such things. Whether he is nuts, if we are just going 🤷‍♀️ about this then collectively we've gone nuts.

Judy

I honestly don’t think the comment was meant like that. I have a Cdn friend and family who lives/works in the u,s. and she’s sick about it too. People are just desperate for Trump to get out.

Louis

Private citizen
25th Amendment less than a month before Election Day seems like a stunt that could backfire.

Unless it's aimed at peaceful transfer of power, but wasn't a resolution already passed to address that problem?

Lorac

I suspect the talk about the 25th amendment is a backup that could be put into play after the election if Trump refuses - regardless of what has been agreed on Senate - a peaceful transfer of power. We all know Trump has no intention of leaving the WH if he loses and will merrily ignore the Senate resolution.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
If Trump crashes and ends up on a vent, they will need to have it.

********* often has a getting better phase before a crash. He was coughing on Hannity last night, and he sounds crazier all the time.

Based on the evidence medicine has accumulated over the months of the *********, what is the likelihood he is not getting better but will have a severe episode? He is projecting that he is okay and he is going out in public for rallies and all. Is it really likely that he could end up hospitalized again?

I have no idea what to think about that.

I will say this though, even if Trump himself were no longer contagious, the problem with his having public events even small meetings and the press conferences or the debate is that all the people around him are being exposed and are contagious at different times so his going about with his entourage is going to expose people even if he's not contagious. This is why there cannot be an in person debate and its just profoundly irresponsible when the WH is experiencing an outbreak among many people for them to be ignoring it and potentially exposing more people.

I'm just so tired of this. I'm just so, so tired of this.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Has anyone seen anything about how Chris Christie is doing? I guess he is a private person at this point so there's no news, but I haven't heard that he is out of the hospital.

Teamgracie

The republicans have proven in the last 4 years that they will do anything necessary to stay in power. They have not "stood up" and done something as they should have. They could have prevented the deaths and they instead stood by and supported tr***. I agree that under normal circumstances the right thing to do is to remove the crazy - but it was the right thing to do before! The democrats need to focus on winning the election and gaining in the senate so the folks who allowed all this to happen are voted out!! I can't wait for this to be over but I'm scared to death that a republican will win and all the things that will bring.

skatesindreams

If Trump crashes and ends up on a vent, they will need to have it.

********* often has a getting better phase before a crash. He was coughing on Hannity last night, and he sounds crazier all the time.

sk9tingfan

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information