Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

caseyedwards

It would have been very weird if all evangelicals supported Hillary Clinton and started to be pro choice all of a sudden in 2016! Or even if they purposefully sought to split the vote and support their own independent candidate helping to elect Hillary Clinton. Or Biden this year. All democrats now beleive in ending all “Objections on religious Grounds” laws and rules as very homophobic and awful and trump does not. That’s not even about abortion. It’s about lots of things!

alexikeguchi

Mark my words, this is going to be the new hydroxychloroquine at the next press conference and on Fox News. I foresee Trump trying to buy rights to the vaccine and criticizing the FDA for not approving it. I sure hope Hahn shows some guts this time around. Of course, the general anti vaccine sentiment is going to preclude people actually signing up for this snake oil.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Mark my words, this is going to be the new hydroxychloroquine at the next press conference and on Fox News. I foresee Trump trying to buy rights to the vaccine and criticizing the FDA for not approving it. I sure hope Hahn shows some guts this time around. Of course, the general anti vaccine sentiment is going to preclude people actually signing up for this snake oil.
Oh, I hope not. I don't care whether Russia claims they have a vaccine or not because his researchers were ordered to come up with it quickly. The question is what will happen in the long run to the people he used as guinea pigs.

I also hope he didn't find a way to hack into the research labs in the USA. I've known for a long time that there have been a team of researchers at LSU working on a vaccine that looks very promising. Those researchers have also found an HIV drug that shows promise as a potential treatment for the Beer Burden.

You can go to their website in order to read about exactly what the LSU researchers have been doing:

Beer Burden/LSU Office of Research & Economic Development

I'm willing to wait a little longer for a vaccine that will actually work and those researchers at LSU labs are some of best in our country.

ballettmaus

What scares me even more is that he might get the idea to use the Russian vaccine or lets Putin talk him into using it. He might not because it's not made in America but it's Putin and if Trump finds a way to sell it to himself and his base who knows.

Susan1

"The closest thing is, uh, in 1917, they say, uh, The Great- the Great *********; & it certainly was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million ppl; probably ended the Second World War, all the soldiers were sick." -The US President just spoke this sentence "
I put this quote under every anti-Biden meme on the mean neighborhood page. I've gotten 6 likes.

p.s. I tried blocking and hiding the person, but it didn't work, so I figured I might as well contribute. ha ha

p.p.s - she also put a meme of a trump flag for sale and one of the people who "liked' my response said where were these during the toilet paper shortage. :biggrinbo :biggrinbo I "liked" that one.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Yesterday's CT raw primary results from my precinct. These are only from those who voted in person, rather than by mail, so the crowd skewed younger. The poll workers were teens and just possibly early 20's. Usually they are elderly. I was picking up the results for the Democratic Town Committee, so I voted in person. Despite the presidential vote being meaningless, there was a primary Probate Judge contest on the Dem side and for Representative to go against Joe Courtney on the Republican side, so there was some turnout, mostly of younger voters, as all registered voters received a letter to request a vote by mail ballot.

Our district is suburban, and we are swing voters, as a rule.

Democrats

President:

Biden 106
Sanders. 16
Gabbard. 4
Blank 1
Uncommitted 1
To vote in a CT Democratic primary, you must be a registered Democrat.

4 for Gabbard????

And far too many Bern the House Down voters. I hope they got it out of their system.

Republicans

President
Trump 43
De la Fuente 2
Blank 2
Uncommitted 11
A greater percentage of Republican Trump protest non-votes than Democratic Biden protest non votes.

I think that is a good thing.

ballettmaus

The White House clarified that the unemployment relief is really just $300 (that they're still only able to pay for five weeks as things stand now). https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/08/11/trump-unemployment-aid-congress/

Judge Jackson said that the government has not convinced her that emails sent in connected with Ukraine fall under executive privilege. White House lawyers can still file a more detailed justification though. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/10/judge-trump-executive-ukraine-393153

The State Department IG found that Pompeo acted within his authority when he used his emergency authority to sell Saudi Arabia the weapons last year but the State Department failed to properly look at civilian casualty concerns. Rep. Engel also says that some parts were "inappropriately redacted". https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...dce4dc-dbf7-11ea-809e-b8be57ba616e_story.html

According to an unredacted copy obtained by The Washington Post, State Department staff first proposed the use of the emergency authority to bypass congressional restrictions on April 3, 2019, nearly two months before Pompeo, on May 24, told Congress that emergency action was required.

According to blacked-out portions of the report, at the time of the IG review last fall only four of 22 arms transfers included in the emergency had been transferred.
I just love those non-emergency emergencies this administration always has.

ballettmaus

Trump wants to ban citizens and legal permanent residents who are suspected of having YKW from entering the US. I think we all know who will be presumed to have YKW if he implements this. (And it would be great if the NYT had not claimed that Trump's and Miller's attempts to bar people from entry was to protect Americans from YKW. How stupid do they think we are?) https://tinyurl.com/y3pcwh3k

Under the proposal, which relies on existing legal authorities of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to protect the country, the government could block a citizen or legal resident from crossing the border into the United States if an official “reasonably believes that the individual either may have been exposed to or is infected with the communicable disease.”

The draft, parts of which were obtained by The New York Times, explicitly says that any order blocking citizens and legal permanent residents must “include appropriate protections to ensure that no constitutional rights are infringed.” And it says that citizens and legal residents cannot be blocked as an entire class of people.

The documents appear not to detail how long a citizen or a legal resident would be required to remain outside the United States.

canbelto

I think his love of the term "suburban housewife" is so ... outdated. Does he not think that most suburban moms also don't work?

Japanfan

I don't think he has a clue about suburban moms - nor the American populace in general, excepting some of the 1%.

Susan1

Then, before the press conference was interrupted the other day, trump said - "This just came out: half a million incorrect ballot applications sent all over the state of Virginia to many people that weren’t living. They had some sent to pets — dogs. This is what we’re going to get into, and it’s going to be a disaster. And it’s going to be thought of very poorly, and it’s going to hurt our country. "

Susan1

Trump says he opposes funding USPS because of mail-in voting
As if that were the only purpose for which people use mail. :duh:

I wonder if he's ever sent anything in the mail before. :unsure:

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks! ;)
1. Just his ballots. Didn't you see that thing where he went to a bunch of different wrong polling places and ended up mailing it?
2. Whatever happened to all of our postcards to trump?
3. On Morning Joe, they talked about people getting medicine through the mail, especially at VAs, and soldiers receiving packages overseas, etc.
4. not mail related, but they showed trump rambling and saying "fatilities" instead of "fatalities" two different times without even trying to correct it. That will have to be on one of those Trevor Noah things of trump mispronouncing things. He knows he's going to lose.

Vagabond

Didn't you see that thing where he went to a bunch of different wrong polling places and ended up mailing it?
No, I didn't. Did they show him actually mailing it? Or did he just talk about it, like he has talked about making Mexico pay for the wall?

Wyliefan

Trying to appease the skategods
This mail issue is infuriating. Isn't there anyone in Congress who can do something? The Republicans won't, obviously. But are the Democrats going to? So far all I see from them is angry tweets.

VGThuy

Susan1

No, I didn't. Did they show him actually mailing it? Or did he just talk about it, like he has talked about making Mexico pay for the wall?
I'm not going to watch the whole 4 minutes, but I think they showed him putting it in a box somewhere.

Other news -

Vagabond

I'm not going to watch the whole 4 minutes, but I think they showed him putting it in a box somewhere.
Nope. They show him marking what Billy Bush calls a "provisional ballot" in the back seat of a moving limousine and saying, "And I've just voted."

AFAIK, a provisional ballot is to be given to the voter and marked at a polling place one election day and is not mailed in. Maybe New York has different rules, but I doubt it.

At any rate, the clip seems to indicate that Trump didn't use an absentee ballot, didn't mail anything in, and didn't even cast a vote. 🤷‍♂️

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 21)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information