Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Right now Trump is throwing as much crap against the wall as he can and seeing what sticks. The more he does, the more desperate he comes across. Even the conservative commentators recognize this. I'm sure his campaign advisors are trying to tell him he's making mistakes, but he's smarter than everyone and does what he wants.

Democrats need to just work at their state and local levels to get out the vote. If that means running ads on local TVs in states that allow vote by mail with instructions on how to do it. Contact your local party and ask what you can do to help.

sk9tingfan

The Lincoln Project just had movie director Jon Turtletaub direct a six minute short ad that is unbelievable. Was on the Town Hall meeting this evening. If they post the meeting contents, one might want to listen to their ongoing strategy. These people are brilliant.

DFJ

The Lincoln Project just had movie director Jon Turtletaub direct a six minute short ad that is unbelievable. Was on the Town Hall meeting this evening. If they post the meeting contents, one might want to listen to their ongoing strategy. These people are brilliant.

I just caught it in You Tube. Good work.

Vagabond

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

VGThuy

That sad part is that you know it’s fiction because that Republican family was still too aware and not delusional enough. And they’re not complaining about wearing a mask and their freedom. In a way, it’s actually generous portrayal of Republicans.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

There have been two interesting articles about Lincoln project from huge never trumpers who don’t also want democrats to have total absolute power starting in 2021! They say that Lincoln project goal is to eliminate immigration as an issue in American politics. That all democrats And many republicans unite To pass huge pathway to citizenship for all undocumented and end the whole immigration issue in America ending the whole trump wing of the party as they no longer have an issue like borders or deportation. So then it’s all back Bush republicanism. But these never trump republicans don’t believe Lincoln project is right. That giving pathway to citizenship to all undocumented will not end trump wing but motivate it

sk9tingfan

That sad part is that you know it’s fiction because that Republican family was still too aware and not delusional enough. And they’re not complaining about wearing a mask and their freedom. In a way, it’s actually generous portrayal of Republicans.
While I agree with you, they're trying to move Republicans who are on the fence across the line to either vote for Biden or at least not vote for Trump. On the Town Hall meeting, they indicated that the only issue that has caused softening among the evangelicals is the impact of ********* on their families on a day to day basis. No other degree of shaming on other issues which you would expect a Christian to react to was effective. And this is only one commercial. They have dozens that are directed to different segments of the Republican voting population as well as regions of the country. And they're tracking statistics on a systematic basis. There's a comprehensive list on YouTube if you query Lincoln project.

VGThuy

I did like how the mom looked like the Gavin’s mom in Gavin and Stacey. The middle class English lady who loved Camilla and hated Princess Diana.

Vagabond

On the Town Hall meeting, they indicated that the only issue that has caused softening among the evangelicals is the impact of ********* on their families on a day to day basis. No other degree of shaming on other issues which you would expect a Christian to react to was effective.
Why am I not surprised?

ballettmaus

FBI agents hid at least three copies of key documents in remote locations around the FBI after Comey and McCabe were fired. The article also mentions that Mueller and the SDNY had no intention of looking at Trump's tax returns. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/poli...eller-true-crimes-and-misdemeanors/index.html

Barr wants to pull a combination of a 4-page summary of the Mueller report and Comey letter and release the findings of the Durham investigation before the election. I'm sure it will be completely unbiased and unedited. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I read one article after another. The difference in behavior is striking. And infuriating. Barr, along with the rest of the corrupt bunch should not be anywhere near in office anymore :mad:

caseyedwards

It’s a question of scale. There will be no problems at all if something goes from 50,000 to several million? It’s exactly the same? Oregon didn’t change overnight! And is still infamous for delays in results. Oregon had years. NY has months

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Here's a column that looks at the difficult road ahead to holding a legitimate election in November. No one should get so caught up in arguing Trump is wrong to attack mail-in balloting that they ignore the peril.

Pray this is not a close election.

The Daily 202: Trump’s election postponement suggestion is an opening salvo in the voting wars to come (Washington Post)

But make no mistake: The voting wars are just beginning. The cascading legislative and judicial battles over ballot access and related issues seem poised to escalate over the coming months. Trump’s preemptive efforts to cast doubt on the legitimacy and integrity of the election, combined with his refusal to commit that he will respect the results, raise the specter that the results will be challenged in court. It is not inconceivable the Supreme Court might need to get involved, as it did in Bush v. Gore in 2000, especially if the outcome is close.

... Late Thursday, a divided Supreme Court issued an emergency ruling to shut down a lower court’s decision that cited the ******** as a justification to ease the rules on gathering signatures for a ballot initiative. “The case from Idaho was the latest example of the high court deferring to state officials, rather than lower-court judges, in how to deal with election-related issues caused by the outbreak of *********-19,” Robert Barnes reports. “The justices put on hold a lower-court order that Idaho officials either put on the ballot an education initiative promoted by a group called Reform Idaho or allow the group to gather signatures electronically, although the deadline had passed. … In this election year, the court is increasingly being called upon to decide election issues related to the *********. The conservative justices have been in the majority as the court in most cases has sided with state officials when they ask for stays from lower court decisions they don’t like.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/james-hohmann/

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Indeed. It has never been more important for everybody to vote. Do it for Ruth if for no other reason. The woman is doing all she can to hang in there. We can't let her down.

canbelto

For those keeping track, he's once again blaming cases on testing. So much for his aides saying that this time he REALLY gets it.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Indeed. It has never been more important for everybody to vote. Do it for Ruth if for no other reason. The woman is doing all she can to hang in there. We can't let her down.
Its going to be really important for people to follow closely how the voting process is going in their jurisdiction and determine if voting by mail or going in person is going to be the best option. Every jurisdiction needs to provide both options for everyone. I know that in D.C. and in Maryland there has been contention over how many polling places will be open for the election. We had a limited number for our primary election and very long lines that made it unclear whether everyone was able to vote. And in Maryland the governor wants to open all in person polling places but they may not have enough people willing to be poll workers.

The issues with the USPS and mail in ballots are another big complication.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
WV had mail in ballots for the primaries, but they also have early voting for the general election. Everybody was provided the option for a mail in ballot (you first received a form asking if you wished to have one and then received it prior to the election). It remains to be seen how the early voting option will be this year. I can vote in the University student center. Which is a little :yikes: but convenient. But, I'll figure out a way.

I'm sad I can't cross over into KY to vote for Amy McGrath. :(

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Yes I think early voting could be a good option, a lot of places regularly have it. We have it in D.C. D.C. is mailing ballots to every registered voter. I do worry a bit about people properly filling them out and mailing them though. In person is just a better bet, early voting or on election day, but with the *********, we just don't know if people will feel safe.

My plan is to vote by mail as soon as I can mail my ballot I will mail it. OTOH, my vote is one of the less consequential ones this year (and pretty much every year...)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The Washington Post talks about how to secure the election:

This country has voted through war and epidemic and crisis, and it will vote again on schedule this fall. It is the responsibility of political leaders to make the vote as safe, secure and fair as possible. Congress must help states staff up, buy equipment, inform Americans how they can vote, print more mail-in ballots, pay absentee-ballot postage, harden digital infrastructure and create systems to contact voters whose ballots might be rejected for small mistakes such as forgetting to sign the envelope. States needed money months ago, and every day lawmakers fail to dispatch it increases the likelihood of a chaotic election.
Trump cannot move the vote. But he can undermine our trust in it.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I think we need to immediately stop calling it "vote by mail" and start calling it "absentee ballots". Would cut off Trump's talking point right at the knees.

Spikefan

I think we need to immediately stop calling it "vote by mail" and start calling it "absentee ballots". Would cut off Trump's talking point right at the knees.
Sadly in MO there are two application categories (I’m sure exactly for his talking points). There is absentee where you must fit an “excuse” category. The other is vote by mail which you can do without an excuse but you have to jump through extra hoops. But yes, there is zero difference between the two other than to make things chaotic and confuse people.

CaliSteve

Very generous.

canbelto

Trump holding a mini-rally in Florida right now with police sheriffs. No one is wearing a mask or standing 6 feet apart. This is insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information