Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

MacMadame

Staying at home
Trump can't postpone the election but he can and is sowing doubts about its legitimacy and likely will ramp this up as he gets more desperate. The question is whether he will motivate other Republicans to follow him down that road. He can create a lot of chaos if they do, just with his tweets and Fox amplifying the attack on mail in voting.
I'm hoping people will see it as sour grapes.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
McConnell said this:

“Never in the history of the country, through wars, depressions and the Civil War, have we ever not had a federally scheduled election on time,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) in a television interview. “We’ll find a way to do that again this Nov. 3.”
Right. It won't be postponed because it can't be, but will Republicans enable Trump's attempts to sow doubt and chaos? As of yet they've done little to stop it.

Sparks

Sen Alexander reminds reporters Pelosi would become president if the election were delayed past Jan. 20, when prez terms expire: "if we were to delay the election past January 20, the President would be the Speaker of the House. So I wonder if anyone's thought about that."

demetriosj

Sen Alexander reminds reporters Pelosi would become president if the election were delayed past Jan. 20, when prez terms expire: "if we were to delay the election past January 20, the President would be the Speaker of the House. So I wonder if anyone's thought about that."
If true, thanks for putting that nightmare in our heads......

VGThuy

It depends. If federal elections are delayed past January 20, then wouldn't Pelosi (and the rest of the House) no longer be members of Congress on January 3? If so, then it'll go to President Pro Tempore of the Senate, Chuck Grassley (R-IA).

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It depends. If federal elections are delayed past January 20, then wouldn't Pelosi (and the rest of the House) no longer be members of Congress on January 3? If so, then it'll go to President Pro Tempore of the Senate, Chuck Grassley (R-IA).
That's what an article I read said, except there are all these possible scenarios for the electoral college vote which are set by the individual states that could be different and if Grassley was up for reelection, he too wouldn't have a job. McConnell is damn sure going to make certain that doesn't happen to him by default. It could be incredibly complex and neither party is going to take the chance. Trump is hardly the only politician seeking reelection and as his numbers go down, some of the GOP in Congress who are will not want to be tied to his coattails. Especially in states where they're being challenged by a strong candidate. Looking at you Mitch and Lindsey.

ballettmaus

Trump can't postpone the election but he can and is sowing doubts about its legitimacy and likely will ramp this up as he gets more desperate.
He can also sow confusion about whether or not the election has been postponed and suppress voters that way. It might not matter but it could still cause chaos and confusion.
(And while congressional Republicans have reminded him/journalists/the public that he can't do it, CNN reported that Pompeo said it's up to the DOJ and that Barr said something along the lines of he hasn't checked the Constitution for it yet during his hearing).

once_upon

New condo owner
McConnell was pretty clear it won't be delayed. Graham was, as usual, wishy washy in his response - I don't think it would be a good idea to delay.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
He can also sow confusion about whether or not the election has been postponed and suppress voters that way. It might not matter but it could still cause chaos and confusion.
(And while congressional Republicans have reminded him/journalists/the public that he can't do it, CNN reported that Pompeo said it's up to the DOJ and that Barr said something along the lines of he hasn't checked the Constitution for it yet during his hearing).
Indeed. There have often been reports of nefarious robo-calls giving people the wrong date for an election. Trump's tweets create fertile ground for all kinds of voter suppression tactics.

I am afraid people are not really focusing enough on how hard the coming election in the midst of a ********* is in and of itself, let alone with bad actors, including Trump, willing to create confusion and chaos.

Liberals seem so busy countering Trump's opposition to mail-in balloting that they aren't taking into account that because it has been done so little up to this point, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. The Guardian writes:

Kentucky election officials rejected 32,349 mail-in ballots during the state’s June 23 primary election, according to an analysis of state data obtained by the Guardian.

Even though the number of rejected ballots is just a small fraction of the more than 1m votes cast in Kentucky’s June primary, they still illuminate a potential problem for November, when the state has a closely-watched US senate race between Amy McGrath and Mitch McConnell.

A significant chunk of the ballots were rejected because of a problem with the inner envelope on the absentee ballot, according to an analysis of the data by Michael McDonald, a professor at the University of Florida. Kentucky requires voters to fill out and sign both an inner envelope - which they put their actual ballot in - and then an outer envelope, which they put the inner envelope in.

“We’re over a quarter of the ballots that are being rejected for some issue that seems to be a major design flaw with this inner envelope,” McDonald said. “We’re already at 9,000 ballots that are being rejected now. We could be looking at close to 20,000 if that US senate race is close, that could be determinative of the election outcome.”
This election is going to be extraordinarily difficult to do successfully. We can do it but everyone will have to be aware and vigilant.

VGThuy

This is rich... been waiting for you guys to accept the peaceful transfer of power since Jan. 20, 2017...
Last time I checked, Barack Obama and Michelle Obama exchanged gifts on inauguration day with the grifters. It's more than three years later, and he's President and has committed all kinds of craziness.

ballettmaus

Indeed. There have often been reports of nefarious robo-calls giving people the wrong date for an election. Trump's tweets create fertile ground for all kinds of voter suppression tactics.
Also, what happens if Trump says the election will be delayed and states like Florida and Texas announced they'll do what he says and they'll hold elections later? It will probably prompt court fights but if it happens two or so weeks before the election what then?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Also, what happens if Trump says the election will be delayed and states like Florida and Texas announced they'll do what he says and they'll hold elections later? It will probably prompt court fights but if it happens two or so weeks before the election what then?
That won't happen. Trump can sow a lot of confusion but all officials know he can't unilaterally postpone the election.

If some state leadership want to undermine the election they will do it by creating confusion around in-person and mail-in voting.

If there's enough confusion and chaos, then court fights come in after the election is held. Remember 2000 when it was confusion in just one state that ended up with the Supreme Court deciding the election.

MacMadame

Staying at home
There will be a certain percentage that will totally agree with Trump. That is the problem. And they are the ones with the guns.
There are a lot of people guns here and they aren't all Trump supporters. ;)

Did you know 30% think Trump is a great president? I assume that's his base that will never change. It's a lot lower than the 40+% who generally support him. I assume the difference is made up of those who really only support him because he has GOP after his name.

ballettmaus

So glad to hear there is nothing Trump can do to postpone the election.
Unfortunately, he doesn't much care about what he can and can't do and it hasn't kept him from trying so far. (Although, my mom said she had wondered what Trump would come up with to distract from John Lewis' memorial service and draw attention to him this morning. So, he might know it's a non-starter. Or he will try. Whether we'll hear about it again probably depends on how his base reacts).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Unfortunately, he doesn't much care about what he can and can't do and it hasn't kept him from trying so far. (Although, my mom said she had wondered what Trump would come up with to distract from John Lewis' memorial service and draw attention to him this morning. So, he might know it's a non-starter. Or he will try. Who knows with him).
John Lewis and bad economic news. He needed something big for that. But it was also part of his ongoing campaign against mail-in voting. And that will continue.

Spikefan

it’s his base that’s not wearing masks/not social distancing. So if he tries to sow confusion about voting won’t he just be hurting his votes?

Sparks

A poll I saw today stated the majority of Republicans are planning on voting is person. Democrats are the opposite. That is why.

ballettmaus

John Lewis and bad economic news. He needed something big for that. But it was also part of his ongoing campaign against mail-in voting. And that will continue.
If he hadn't before, he probably also told his aides to look into delaying the elecion and is patting himself on the back for having had such a great idea. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about it in one of his Fox News and press conference ramblings again, possibly together with something along the lines of "I could have done it but I didn't" or "everyone wants me to look into it and do it".

canbelto

A Vanity Fair article about how Jared Kushner's national testing plan didn't go anywhere:

Excerpt:

But the effort ran headlong into shifting sentiment at the White House. Trusting his vaunted political instincts, President Trump had been downplaying concerns about the ***** and spreading misinformation about it—efforts that were soon amplified by Republican elected officials and right-wing media figures. Worried about the stock market and his reelection prospects, Trump also feared that more testing would only lead to higher case counts and more bad publicity. Meanwhile, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House’s ******** response coordinator, was reportedly sharing models with senior staff that optimistically—and erroneously, it would turn out—predicted the ***** would soon fade away.

Against that background, the prospect of launching a large-scale national plan was losing favor, said one public health expert in frequent contact with the White House’s official ******** task force.

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the ***** had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 17)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information