Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

What are Russia or China results?

Do we have the same exact environment and voting mechanisms in Russia and a China? Also, do all Russia and China’s elections result in 99%? In 2018, Putin did not win 99%. Far from it.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Voting is controlled at the national level in Russia and China. It's not in the US.

And, all we can do is vote and help as many other people vote as we can. And vote those down ticket races. The Dems need to retain control of the House and pick up as many Senate seats as possible.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Last edited:

ballettmaus

The Trump administration as a whole hasn't shown much interest in protecting such rights as the right to vote, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, or freedom of the people to assemble peacefully either, and it certainly hasn't been pushing these rights in its dealings with Russia, China, North Korea, or Saudi Arabia, to name just four other countries.

I can hardly wait for a new presidency.

Yeah, when talking about human rights, the right to property is always the first thing that comes to mind.

MacMadame

Staying at home
What are Russia or China results?
Less than that. Putin got 77% of the vote in 2018.

There is no way an election result like that would be accepted by the US. It's so obviously bogus. I think the GOP will continue to do the sorts of things they always do -- overly enthusiastic purging of voter rolls, not enough voting places in places that skew liberal, and with disinformation campaigns.

I know those things aren't sexy like having ballot stuffing or votes changed but they are much more likely to happen and much harder to prove the impact on the results.

Peaches LaTour

There have been a lot of things happening in this country that have been called "fascist," but having random guys in camo hop out of unmarked vehicles, grabbing non-violent Americans, and throwing them into said unmarked vehicles is some straight up third world "disappeared" *****.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/federal-law-enforcement-unmarked-vehicles-portland-protesters

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-accused-deploying-secret-police-portland-political-stunt-1518595

Oregon Governor Brown does not want the Fed's in Portand. Neither do Portland police who were gaining some ground with negotiations with the "protesters" when the Fed's showed up.

There is speculation now that some of the "protesters" have come down from the fiasco in Seattle. It would be interesting to know how many of them actually live in Portand or anywhere in Oregon.

I used to go into downtown Portland a lot but have not been there since the lockdown in mid-March. I miss my ventures into the city & frankly want those "protesters" gone.

canbelto

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Oregon Governor Brown does not want the Fed's in Portand. Neither do Portland police who were gaining some ground 1970with negotiations with the "protesters" when the Fed's showed up.

There is speculation now that some of the "protesters" have come down from the fiasco in Seattle. It would be interesting to know how many of them actually live in Portand or anywhere in Oregon.

I used to go into downtown Portland a lot but have not been there since the lockdown in mid-March. I miss my ventures into the city & frankly want those "protesters" gone.
Except the two men who have spoken out about this problem are not part of your "protestors" and I don't see how continuing to call the other faction "protestors" addresses the issue just because quotes are placed around the word. Trump uses the (wink wink) "protestors" (wink wink) to broadbrush them all but I don't see any reason people ought to go along with his description.

The two men in the PBS story are peaceful protestors. A follow up story in the WP has a quote by the one who was detained and he specifically said that he only participates as a non-violent protestor to add his support and doesn't get involved with the other stuff going on at all.

I find the PBS report very disturbing and worry that the ACLU lawsuit will be dragged out until DT starts taking this show on the road to other cities including mine. It's like stories we have been told about things that happened during the Marcos regime or incidents relayed by nuns and priests who worked in Central America in the 1970s. When it comes to human rights, look how far the US has fallen in just four years thanks to DT. :(

Last edited:

ballettmaus

There is no way an election result like that would be accepted by the US.

I have lost count of how often I thought that would be the case throughout the past four years. It was often and it hasn't happened once. Since it hasn't, I can't believe that until I see it. Right now, I'd say that yes, there will be outrage but in the end, I think that the majority would go on with their lives since they're not personally affected or believe they aren't.

If it comes to that, I hope I'm wrong. Most of all, though, I hope it doesn't come to that and we don't have to find out!

ballettmaus

In an interview with NPR, Cuccinelli defended DHS's actions in Portland, claiming the individuals arrested were suspected of attacking or damaging federal property and that's why it fell into their jurisdiction. They also plan to continue that everywhere. https://www.npr.org/2020/07/17/8923...officers-detaining-protesters-in-portland-ore

CUCCINELLI: Well, we are - we welcome - the more investigations, the better. With as much lawbreaking is going on, we're seeking to prosecute as many people as are breaking the law as it relates to federal jurisdiction. That's not always happening with respect to local jurisdiction and local offenses. But, you know, this is a posture we intend to continue not just in Portland but in any of the facilities that we're responsible for around the country.

I'm not saying the election can't be manipulated. I'm saying they'll be more subtle about it.

That's... discouraging.

That said, I'm not so sure about that. Trump is arrogant. He's gotten away with that and so, so many other things and I believe he thinks of himself as invincible. I think he truly believes he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and no one would do anything, so while others might want to be more discreet about it, I'm pretty sure he'd do it out in the open.

Dobre

Every American is impacted personally right now by choices made in the last couple elections. I think far and away the majority of people heading into this coming election realize that they will be affected personally by this coming decision. Some people are freaking out that the government has the power to close businesses, churches, and schools. Some people are freaking out that the government is tear gassing peaceful protestors, taking people illegally off the streets, using racist rhetoric/inflaming hate crimes, and threatening to end health care for many, many people in the middle of a *********. But I would say that pretty much everyone knows this decision will affect their lives. I think voter turnout will be huge.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I have lost count of how often I thought that would be the case throughout the past four years. It was often and it hasn't happened once. Since it hasn't, I can't believe that until I see it. Right now, I'd say that yes, there will be outrage but in the end, I think that the majority would go on with their lives since they're not personally affected or believe they aren't.

If it comes to that, I hope I'm wrong. Most of all, though, I hope it doesn't come to that and we don't have to find out!

This post kind of rubs me the wrong way because it’s ignoring all the work people have done to push back on Trump and actually won things. It kind of ignores a huge chunk of the American population who are fighting but are fighting against institutions so the advantage will always be on the other side. It’s not like Americans are sitting around and doing nothing. As much as he has gotten away with things, he also hasn’t been able to do many of the things he and his ilk have wanted, which explains the million angry Tweets he’s made since his inauguration. As for what will happen if Trump manipulates the election that will result in like 99% of the electorate voting for him, let’s just see if that happens first. I truly doubt something like that will, but I do think people need to be on guard for tactics on Election Day. I think many voters will be hyper vigilant because as Dobre says, this election means something.

VGThuy

Some members of his base on the right are seriously mad at him for walking back on DACA as well. I think that explains a bit of Coulter.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
I have been following the polls very closely. Battleground states are going to Democrats, even in the right wing polls.

That is encouraging but according to 538, the margins are quite narrow (a few exceptions) in the swing states, compared to the nationwide double digit lead. So those could go either way. I expect a huge voter suppression effort by the republicans.

ChelleC

canbelto

MsZem

Daily YKW press conferences are returning to the White House. I suspect they are a disguise for campaign speeches. I hope they arent shown live
I read somewhere that it was Kellyanne Conway who suggested it. Given how bad those appearances were in the spring, I wonder if George and Claudia have managed to turn Kellyanne :sekret:

Last edited:

canbelto

Trump says about the briefings:

Why? Because of the ratings, of course:

"I think it's a great way to get information out to the public," Trump said, adding they would likely resume on Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET -- the same time he typically briefed in the spring.
"We had a good slot. A lot of people were watching," Trump said, using television ratings lingo to describe the sessions: "We had record numbers watching," he said. "In the history of cable television there's never been anything like it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information