Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

“Brad Parscale, who has been with me for a very long time and has led our tremendous digital and data strategies, will remain in that role, while being a senior adviser to the campaign. Both were heavily involved in our historic 2016 win, and I look forward to having a big and very important second win together.”
Mr. Miller and Mr. Stepien have been working closely with another 2016 veteran, Hope Hicks, a senior adviser to Mr. Trump in the White House who handles his schedule. Another veteran of 2016 whom Mr. Trump likes, Susie Wiles, a Florida-based Republican operative, was recently brought back to the campaign.

A person familiar with the planning said there might still be another addition to the team, such as a campaign chairman.
Trump didn't really "fire" Parscale. He just added another cook, thereby increasing the chances of spoiling the broth.

MsZem

VGThuy

I think she was reasonable to be on the short list but then she wasn't vetted properly. Proper vetting probably would have highlighted her weaknesses and allowed McCain to pick someone else.

Reminds me of the HBO movie Game Change detailing the McCain campaign and Palin. Nicole Wallace, player by Sarah Paulson in the film, said it was eerily accurate.

caseyedwards

Wallace was an idiot though. Her and others all believed palin was mentally ill and got McCain to hire a doctor to follow her around for a while to see if she displayed outward symptoms of mental illness. The doctor said he really couldn’t diagnose someone for mental illness like that. So they all had questions about her mental state but worked tirelessly for her to be president possibly

Cachoo

If Wallace would have remained in the GOP she would have been a Republican I liked. But I like her even more for giving them the heave-ho. I like her show.

Last edited:

Susan1

I think he could select a Pub but I think he wants to select a woman. Outside of Condoleeza who is there? It will be a Dem.
I was just being silly after I saw caseyedwards mention "Kasich". Choosing a republican woman is WAY farther out there. :) I "agree" with the bad choices. You forgot Kellyanne Conway. Or maybe one of the female lying heads from fox? I can't think of any names right now.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think she was reasonable to be on the short list but then she wasn't vetted properly. Proper vetting probably would have highlighted her weaknesses and allowed McCain to pick someone else.
Ah those were the days when that was all we had to worry about :)

Susan1

Here he goes again - I just picked out the stupidest paragraphs from the whole address. Bold - stupider, underlined stupidest.

"We’re bringing back consumer choice in home appliances so that you can buy washers and dryers, showerheads and faucets. So showerheads — you take a shower, the water doesn’t come out. You want to wash your hands, the water doesn’t come out. So what do you do? You just stand there longer or you take a shower longer? Because my hair — I don’t know about you, but it has to be perfect. Perfect. (Laughter and applause.)

Dishwashers — you didn’t have any water, so you — the people that do the dishes — you press it, and it goes again, and you do it again and again. So you might as well give them the water because you’ll end up using less water. So we made it so dishwashers now have a lot more water. And in many places — in most places of the country, water is not a problem. They don’t know what to do with it. It’s called “rain.” They don’t have a problem.

And old-fashioned incandescent lightbulbs — I brought them back. I brought them back. (Applause.) They have two nice qualities: They’re cheaper and they’re better. They look better, and they make you look so much better. That’s important to all of us. (Laughter.) But they’re better and much cheaper. And they were mandated out, legislated out. And we brought them back, and they’re selling like hotcakes.

We stopped the egregious abuse of the Clean Water Act, which extreme activists have used to shut down construction projects all across our country. When I signed that legislation, I had many farmers and construction people standing behind me — people that haven’t cried since they were a baby. Some of them never even when they were a baby, and they were crying. Many people were cry- — we gave them back their life. They took away their land. They took away their rights. They took away their life."

What is wrong with him? (that's a rhetorical question; you don't need to make a list)

Vagabond

Mike Pompeo has sought to redefine the US approach to human rights by giving preference to private property and religious freedom as the foremost “unalienable rights” laid down by America’s Founding Fathers.

Pompeo, launching a draft report by a Commission on Unalienable Rights he established a year ago, also claimed that a proliferation of human rights asserted by different US and international institutions had the effect of diluting those rights he viewed as the most important.

“Many are worth defending in light of our founding; others aren’t,” Pompeo said at a launch ceremony in Philadelphia. He did not specify which rights he thought were superfluous, but the state department during his tenure has been aggressive in opposing references to reproductive and gender rights in UN and other multilateral documents.
The Trump administration as a whole hasn't shown much interest in protecting such rights as the right to vote, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, or freedom of the people to assemble peacefully either, and it certainly hasn't been pushing these rights in its dealings with Russia, China, North Korea, or Saudi Arabia, to name just four other countries.

I can hardly wait for a new presidency.

VGThuy

The right to property is a fundamental right according to Pompeo? Does that mean he's in favor of civil Gideon? Does he know what Civil Gideon is?

In the landmark United States Supreme Court case of Gideon v. Wainwright, 372 U.S. 335 (1963), the Supreme Court decided that indigent defendants have a constitutional right to be represented by an attorney, at no charge, in state criminal cases. The term "civil Gideon" refers to a growing national movement that has developed to explore strategies to provide legal counsel, as a matter of right and at public expense, to low-income persons in civil legal proceedings where basic human needs are at stake, such as those involving shelter, sustenance, safety, health or child custody.

Vagabond

The right to property is a fundamental right according to Pompeo? Does that mean he's in favor of civil Gideon? Does he know what Civil Gideon is?
Pompeo does have a J.D. from Harvard, where he was on the law review.

One would think that he would be versed in the full implications of what he was saying before he called the right to property a fundamental and unalienable right, so perhaps so. I wonder if any political reporters who lurk here (There must be some, no?) will press him on this.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
He and Trump are desperately trying shore up the hardcore white religious part of their base because they've lost the Independent and moderate GOP votes. Wave religious freedom around with they'll take your guns and kill all the unborn babies and hope some of them will still vote for you. And that their candidate will not do something so totally outrageous on Twitter that even the most die hard will find that lump too hard to swallow. But, then they'd have to put him in a closet somewhere with no access to the Internet.

The next POTUS will spend the first year undoing all the Exec orders of this administration before they can even focus on their own agenda.

VGThuy

Pompeo does have a J.D. from Harvard, where he was on the law review.

One would think that he would be versed in the full implications of what he was saying before he called the right to property a fundamental and unalienable right, so perhaps so. I wonder if any political reporters who lurk here (There must be some, no?) will press him on this.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if civil Gideon wasn't a natural thought he had when he came up with such things to say. Like @rfisher said, he's just trying to appeal to the base hard now. That said, I would love it if a reporter would press him on that and get him to talk about wonky legal doctrines.

once_upon

He and Trump are desperately trying shore up the hardcore white religious part of their base because they've lost the Independent and moderate GOP votes. Wave religious freedom around with they'll take your guns and kill all the unborn babies and hope some of them will still vote for you. And that their candidate will not do something so totally outrageous on Twitter that even the most die hard will find that lump too hard to swallow. But, then they'd have to put him in a closet somewhere with no access to the Internet.

The next POTUS will spend the first year undoing all the Exec orders of this administration before they can even focus on their own agenda.

I know I'm negative about the election, but with the dictator type actions in the last week (ie taking control of ********* data, the actions in Portland, the use of the Rose Garden for campaign speeches, trying to take control of schools, etc), I am convinced the "election" will be a farce. The "election" will have a reported 99% vote win for Trump.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I have greater faith in the system. Moreover, the down ticket ballots are in trouble. Watch for some key GOP senators and representatives to start to distance themselves. Trump is his own biggest nightmare with regard to the elections. They want control of the YKW data to try and downplay it, but it's too late for that. Hospitals will get the info to the CDC and media. The WH is walking back on their efforts to discredit Dr. Fauci because it backfired on them. Trump can't control the election. The states do that. This is not Russia, China or North Korea.

VGThuy

I know I'm negative about the election, but with the dictator type actions in the last week (ie taking control of ********* data, the actions in Portland, the use of the Rose Garden for campaign speeches, trying to take control of schools, etc), I am convinced the "election" will be a farce. The "election" will have a reported 99% vote win for Trump.

I know I'm afraid too, but 99%? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information