Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Cachoo

Here is the Fox News story about trump thinking about dropping out

Fox really wants trump out! They have had it
Like rats jumping off a sinking ship....

snoopy

IMO, the hurdle to Trump dropping out is not his own ego as much as Jared and Ivanka. If that interview with the Apprentice dude was correct, they are about holding on to as much power as they can. Any future political ambitions they or Don Jr. have would be tarnished with a drop out moreso than a loss.

Also, no one in Republican circles is talking about executive orders cancelling elections. That is a bit of a boogeyman.

caseyedwards

IMO, the hurdle to Trump dropping out is not his own ego as much as Jared and Ivanka. If that interview with the Apprentice dude was correct, they are about holding on to as much power as they can. Any future political ambitions they or Don Jr. have would be tarnished with a drop out moreso than a loss.

Also, no one in Republican circles is talking about executive orders cancelling elections. That is a bit of a boogeyman.
Who says Trump doesn’t drop out for Jr or Ivanka. It could also be like bankruptcy. You don’t do bankruptcy because you are leaving business but to Try to stay in business. So trump leaves the race and reorganizes for 2024 or someone else like Jr or ivanka

VGThuy

Another fairly plausible situation. He signs an EO to delay indefinitely the November election. Because there is no election, he argues to the SCOUS that he must be retained in office until it is safe to hold elections again. Kavenhaugh and all agree the President's responsibility to the US people is their safety. Under his EO, it never becomes safe to hold National elections.
I know you're really afraid of him taking power like a mad dictator, but I really don't see John Roberts, et al. of SCOTUS signing off on that. I am one of the biggest critics of that side of SCOTUS and I seriously don't see them doing that. Not even Alito who I think is evil (not like fiction evil but more like worst of America evil) or Thomas who I think is just lazy and bitter.

once_upon

New condo owner
I think that there is some precedence for delaying the general election when a couple of state's governors delayed the primaries due to *********.

ErikWilliam

Another fairly plausible situation. He signs an EO to delay indefinitely the November election. Because there is no election, he argues to the SCOUS that he must be retained in office until it is safe to hold elections again. Kavenhaugh and all agree the President's responsibility to the US people is their safety. Under his EO, it never becomes safe to hold National elections.
But then the SCOTUS would have to explain why they consistently vote against mail-in voting? If it's not so bad to force people who are or think that they might be at risk by voting in person, then how could they justify saying it's so bad that an election should not even HAPPEN? Hmm, not seeing a good argument there.

And I'm starting to have a feeling that Romney was recruited back to the Senate to maybe swoop in and be there to take over in case Trump collapses. Might be too late.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Also, we've been through this. His term ends at noon on Jan 20th. It's in the constitution and for exactly this reason IMO. If there is no election, there is a good chance Nancy Pelosi becomes President. (It's not clear if she will though.) There is no benefit to Trump to cancel the election. Therefore, it's never going to happen.

ballettmaus

I think that there is some precedence for delaying the general election when a couple of state's governors delayed the primaries due to *********.
But a Governor has the authority to do that, don't they? Does the President have any authority over federal elections? I thought that power rested with Congress.

VGThuy

The good news is that’s not allowed — or, at least, it’s not allowed unless Congress allows it to happen. A trio of federal laws set Election Day for presidential electors, senators, and US representatives as “the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November.” If Republicans want to change this law, they will need to go through the Democratic House.

The 20th Amendment, moreover, provides that “the terms of the President and the Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January.” Thus, even if the election were somehow canceled, Trump and Vice President Mike Pence’s terms would still expire as scheduled — although, as explained below, the question of who would succeed them is devilishly complicated.
If Trump were to try it, there’s no way stickler for Constitutional process John Roberts would approve that. In fact, I would bet all the money I have that no justice would be ok with that no matter how much they want Republicans to stay in power. This would be the most blatant disregard of the Constitutional and democratic process Trump would try to pull and that’s saying a lot considering what he’s tried to pull. Even if the Justices have done some things in other decisions that were gross, this would be next level. It would be a decision our country would never recover from in-tact and these Justices know it.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Elections are run by the states. I don't think anyone at the Federal level can cancel the elections in toto. But maybe they could cancel the Presidential election? not sure about that.

One thing that's for sure, no state is going to want to cancel the elections for their congressional reps. There are 35 Senate seats in play plus the entire House. If some states cancel, they will have no reps in the House at a minimum while states that don't cancel will have seats. That alone ensures there is an election IMO because no one wants to be the state without reps.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I’ve been one of those wondering if Trump would have to be dragged Out of the White House kicking and screaming. I think there is an alternate scenario if, Lord willing, he loses. And that is, he quits in the interregnum. Then Pence can pardon him.

Vagabond

If Trump were to try it, there’s no way stickler for Constitutional process John Roberts would approve that. In fact, I would bet all the money I have that no justice would be ok with that no matter how much they want Republicans to stay in power.
To which I must add that although some justices may want the Republicans to stay in power, I very much doubt that any of them wants Trump to stay in office.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
At least THIS President: I'd take Obama back in a heartbeat.
So would I! I always wished that there could be a third term. I would have definitely voted for Obama!

Well, I just have to share this. I've always known that kids are usually honest about most things. The video was uploaded on January 19th, 2018, and these kids already had their own opinions about Trump. I just love the kid that said Trump had small fingers and orange face! :lol:

We Ask Kids How Trump Is Doing

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
So would I! I always wished that there could be a third term. I would have definitely voted for Obama!

Well, I just have to share this. I've always known that kids are usually honest about most things. The video was uploaded on January 19th, 2018, and these kids already had their own opinions about Trump. I just love the kid that said Trump had small fingers and orange face! :lol:

We Ask Kids How Trump Is Doing
Those impersonations were so funny. Even kids get it.

canbelto

An article about the Tulsa campaign workers who tested positive:

Among those who passed through were Trump campaign workers and top allies and surrogates, according to people with knowledge of the operation. Staffers and top supporters entered the arena wearing masks after they’d been tested, though many rallygoers did not.

Health-care workers inside the steamy tent initially were given a list of more than 200 people to test, two people with knowledge of the event said.
But then some people began testing positive. At one point, a campaign staffer was tested three times after a first test showed up positive — and all three tests came back positive, according to a person with knowledge of the incident.

After the news that six people had tested positive, health-care workers were questioned about whether they had shared the information and given a different list of employees to test, according to the two people with direct knowledge. It is unclear how the list was changed.

The situation made the health-care workers uncomfortable, the people said, and some said they thought that people who needed to be tested were not.

Murtaugh said that testing was not halted or limited, but declined to provide details.
In the aftermath, some Secret Service agents returning from the Tulsa trip were directed not to get tested until Wednesday, days after the rally, an instruction that was given without explanation and which some agents found perplexing, according to two people familiar with the instructions.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
A judge has just lifted the restraining order on the publication of niece Mary Trump's book about Trump, and it will go ahead with publication on July 28th. Great, it'll be enough to make The Donald flip his wig! Or...toupee?

caseyedwards

A judge has just lifted the restraining order on the publication of niece Mary Trump's book about Trump, and it will go ahead with publication on July 28th. Great, it'll be enough to make The Donald flip his wig! Or...toupee?
It’s his real hair it’s just style to look like that! There was a great episode or gross episode of ally mcbeal where a guy with a combover grew his remaining hair so long he wrapped it around his head in layers and the lawyers unwrapped it at one point and it was kind of gross. It may have been based on trump http://www.coffeerooms.com/ally/990419.html

ballettmaus

If Trump were to try it, there’s no way stickler for Constitutional process John Roberts would approve that. In fact, I would bet all the money I have that no justice would be ok with that no matter how much they want Republicans to stay in power. This would be the most blatant disregard of the Constitutional and democratic process Trump would try to pull and that’s saying a lot considering what he’s tried to pull. Even if the Justices have done some things in other decisions that were gross, this would be next level. It would be a decision our country would never recover from in-tact and these Justices know it.
I tend to agree with you that the "Constitutionalists" on the Supreme Court would not allow anything that violates the Constitution but I would definitely not bet all the money I have. I find that times have been just too crazy to be sure about anything.

once_upon

New condo owner
How can anyone listen to Trump talking about how unemployment numbers are dropping. The changes are because employers are required to rehire or pay back Paycheck Protection Loans.

"A lot, a lot, rapidly, very good, rapidly, things quickly, like nobody has seen, greatest in the world " - his favorite words. I hate this man.

Its reported that Arizona is asking for healthcare workers. Trump is saying all states have all they need, thanks to his, thank you government.

I hate this man. We have crisises in this country. He is ignoring the realities of those crisises

ETA did you know this horrible China *****, because that's what it is from China, is going away very soon. Soon it will be gone.

When we have 40,000 new cases a day.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I hate this man. We have crisises in this country. He is ignoring the realities of those crisises
Not to mention, his mishandling, or failure to handle, BB early on has caused more deaths that would have happened had he responded competently and responsibly. Trump has blood on his hands and he's to stupid to know it. And of course he is the greatest POTUS ever.

My SIL is an American citizen and she feels extremely angry at Trump and his administration. I expect a lot of other Americans feel the same way.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 9)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information